First Gravel bike. Diverge vs Breed

• Yes…

I was all set to get a Diverge this year, then backed away when I discovered it had Spec’s funky SCS rear wheel axle spacing.

I too have bad thoughts of aluminium and vibration, but it looks like things have changed. I have read in a few places now that tube shape effects vibration dampening much more than material. Aluminium couldn’t be made in the same shapes as Carbon Fibre. But now it can with hydroforming, which is how the Breed’s frame is made. See the bend in the seat tube? I suspect that’s for flex and comfort.

If it’s released Jan 2020, it will the 2021 Diverge :smile:

I think I put it in my original post.
Tyre clearance 650b = 53, 700c = 47

Should I see that as a “tick” for the Breed? Does 5-6mm make a difference worth factoring?

1 Like

Right. I have been pessimistic of 1x as I haven’t ever thought “I’d love to get rid of this FD.”
But the more I read the more it seems people can love it. Certainly a little less home maintanence.

It would be good to have a 1x bike for a week to find out how I feel about it. #firstworldproblems
I do like Sram and Double Tap system though.

That is only on the original models…new design since 18? doesn’t have it.

1 Like

WOW! EXACTLY the person I wanted to hear from. Someone who has ridden Diverges AND Breeds. I didn’t know such a person existed.

I didn’t know anything about bike geometry last week. After reading this (and part 2):

I started adding geometry information to my spreadsheet (yes, I have a spreadsheet of gravel bikes I am interested in with their key specs). My conclusion was the Breed has a few measurements like a CX bike. Where as the Diverge looked to be all gravel/touring type with nothing in common with a CX bike. As I am interested in CX and CX would be the only time I would race with this bike, so it is the only time when everything matters, I came out of the researching thinking the Breed would be better for someone wanting to CX race and ride gravel. Sounds like you think the same.

The Diverge’s wheelbase (size 56) is still longer than my Felt AR1 and Felt B2 though (still learning what this all means).

Oh you have inside info on the 2020 (or 2021) Diverge? I am thinking it will have improved tube shaping, improving it’s CdA? That interests me.

Thanks SO MUCH for chiming in. Any feedback from the test rides? How was the Breed’s alu frame with regards to vibration?
Thanks again llmonty

Ahh. The size limits are very subjective to how and where you want to ride and the rubber you want to roll.

I’m all for larger rubber (like the 33c width CX tires that lead the charge when gravel started), but there are limits to what makes sense depending on where people want to take a drop bar bike.

That 38c to 42c or even 45c is a very workable range. Larger works, but seems only needed for those really pushing into the rough stuff that boarders on MTB trails.

But it is really all up to each rider in the end.

2 Likes

My 2015 Diverge had this stupid hub. I had to have a custom adapter fabricated so it it would work on my Kickr. Never again! I thought they went to 142mm in 2016/17, did they go back to this hub spacing for 2020?

I initially put down tyre clearance as a win for the Breed (over the Diverge). My thinking was mounting a 53mm (or larger?) tyre and taking it on intermediate MTB tracks once I get some skills. The idea is to use the Breed as a gravel bike, CX bike and a basic MTB, save buying 3 bikes. Jack of all, master of none though maybe.

Is this thinking stupid? I don’t know what I am doing :smile:

1 Like

Support the bike shop you get along with.
Fwiw, the new headshock on the Roubaix is only avail on the upper end models.

That concept of a multipurpose bike can totally work. You recognize it won’t be perfect at any with the somewhat wide goals, so that’s good.

Like I said, it’s all about how and where you want to ride. With your goals, the 650b seems a good start and will suit the heavier use roles well. It will be a bit heavy and slow as a CX bike, but something has to give.

Thanks for the reply mcneese.chad

I am fully expecting I would end up with 2 wheelsets for this bike though. Maybe others do it this way too? I doubt I am a pioneer.

1. 700c wheelset with 30mm to 35mm tyres: For mixed terrain rides (light gravel), wet road rides and CX. I spoke to an organiser of local CX races about enforcement of tyre size. And without me mentioning the Breed he said they are relaxed but if someone turned up with 650b wheels and 47mm tyres they would have to draw a line.

2. 650b with largest tyres (47mm or 53mm/2.1" etc): For everything else, like an all off-road ride or trying out MTB tracks or even a quick commute etc.

I expect having these 2 wheelsets would reduce the bike’s “master of none” behaviour. Does this make sense?

Thanks!

1 Like

Yes, with that wheelset combo, you have all the bases covered well, IMHO.

1 Like

Lightning fast reply mcneese.chad
Thank you.

But I guess I can do this (with an upper limit of only 47mm on 650b wheels) with the Diverge anyway.
In other words, I don’t know if 53mm/2.1" tyres are needed to meet the requirements I have (I’ve never even tipped a toe in the water with off-road riding).

Yes, people say I can over think things occasionally :smile:

I ride MTB and road and bought a gravel bike a few months ago, a fairly basic aluminum framed Marin and at 11.5kg its way too heavy for anything competitive but its still great fun.

I have knobbly 35mm tyres fitted and they are fine for most off road stuff, I’ve ridden some pretty rough sections too. In fact I set a Strava segment PB on a mtb trail on the gravel bike. Although I have had 2 blow outs they were entirely my fault and avoidable.
One way too fast on a rocky section and not choosing a proper line, the other too much tyre pressure and forgetting I was on a gravel bike and not treating it like a MTB.
I’d only move to bigger tyres if I wanted to something a lot rougher but the ability to take both wheelsets is on my list if/when I get a new gravel bike.

1 Like

A bit off-topic but wondering if anyone following this thread has insider info on when the 2020 Felt Adventure / Gravel models will be available in the US?

Felt’s Europe website shows factory-equipped Shimano GRX groupset as option on 2020 bikes – first major brand I know of. But you’re apparently being naughty if you’re in the US when you look, cuz they tell you to go home and check there – with only 2019 models on the US site, and nary a mention of GRX. I’ve put in a couple queries both locally and at main US site but they don’t answer.

My surmise is that maybe they’ve pretty much sold 2019 inventory in Europe but haven’t in US, and don’t want to have to discount 2019 inventory yet before mentioning the new 2020 (esp to guys like me willing to wait). Anybody know if this is how it works? Thanks.

1 Like

I love my Giant Revolt Advanced. Its in the shop as we speak getting upgrading with new handlebars, Stans No Tubes wheelset and the new Shimano GRX groupset. Really excited to seeing how it rides in a few days.

1 Like

Referring to these?

https://eu-en.feltbicycles.com/collections/gravel/products/breed-30-2020
https://eu-en.feltbicycles.com/collections/gravel/products/breed-20-2020

They have nice write ups. I am pretty sure it is not a frame change, yet they now say…

45mm-wide tire on 700c wheels, or up to 2.0-inch tires on 650b wheels

Yes, that’s the site, and the Breed 30 is the one offering 1x GRX. Both Breeds they classify as “Gravel” with more aggressive geometries than the several Broam frames (several builds) in their “Adventure” category. The Broam geometry is virtually identical to the old V85 I ride (I’m ancient and really used to it) except that the newer frameset has way more tire clearance, thru axles, flat mounts, etc.

The huge tire clearance and subcompact gearing (46-30) for the 2x GRX is the attraction for me, and I learned in this forum that I can likely bring my Left 4iiii on a 5800 crank with me. Cosmetically different but same spline. For my needs, a real value . . . . if / when it gets to the US. If you want Breed geometry and SRAM, then you can likely get what you want in the US now. I want 2x GRX and Broam geometry so I have to wait. My question is how long, if anyone knows.