First race and pacing: how fast is race pace?

Got it!! Thanks again. Found lots of value today in this topic! :ok_hand:

Reviving this topic as I have my first race on Good Friday.

Is there a IF or NP of FTP that I can use to help pace myself and make sure I don’t blow up before the end of the race? I’d love to be able to cover moves but not if it means I won’t be able to finish or will get dropped.

• Goal #1 is to complete the race and not DNF
  • Goal #2 is to be relevant in the race and compete

For context the event I’m doing is 53km, has a total of 720m in climbing over 14 laps and the estimated time to complete is is 1:35h for my group which is Masters 3.

I’m ~100kg with an FTP of 312 so 3.12w/kg.

Thanks in advance!

I’d make goal #1 the ONLY goal. You can figure out how to be relevant in the first 90% of the race duration in a later race. For now, figure out how the peloton moves and watch it respond like an amoeba to the attacks that go off the front.

If you successfully do #1, with 1-2 laps to go, then sell your soul to move to 5th wheel and you’ll have a better vantage point to experience what happens at the finish. You’ll have to sell out to get there and stay there.

You and I are very similar size and fitness, by the way.

3 Likes

Given your size, you’ll want to be near the front at the start of any climbs so you can “sag climb”. Others will be climbing faster than you, but if you start near the front, you can slowly drift back on the climbs and then hopefully still be in touch with the main group by the top.

If they are short steep pitches, you just gotta do what you can to get over with the main group.

There is a lot to learn about bike racing, so the advice to just make finishing your #1 goal is spot- on. Results should not really be a concern at this point.

2 Likes

@JBadalian
The above is a great point. Hone this craft! Sag climbing is mission critical for my success on a hilly course. I had forgotten because I don’t often pick hilly courses!

How to do it:

There will always be a compression of the peloton at the base of the climb. You’ll feel it. It’ll feel like you’re going to rear end the people in front of you and like you can’t figure out why they’re slowing down. Don’t be one of the people hitting their brakes when that compression happens. Reaccelerating after braking at the base of a climb is a good way to be off the back in a hurry as a bigger guy.

Wise advice one savvy racer told me which has served me very well when approaching hills in group rides and races:

Expect the pack compression and look for space before the compression, so that when it comes, you can float forwards into the open space in front of you. Don’t get stuck behind someone. Conserve your momentum.

Finding that space is so valuable. Can often move up 10-20 riders in those moments, without increasing power. It’s the one and only time you’ll ever see me out in the wind during a race.

2 Likes

This is some great advice, thank you @Dr_Alex_Harrison and @Power13 !

Will definitely attempt to use the sag climbing strategy during the race - wasn’t something I had heard of before!

I’ll also keep the strategy mentioned about holding until the last few laps before opening it up.

Agree with points about focusing on goal #1 , will try to balance this with my competitive side as I definitely would like to mix it up at the front if possible.

Cheers!

1 Like

Saying this SUUUUper respectfully, and with the understanding that you may still come back and say “went off the front, caught on final lap.”

Keep your competitive juices for the end. If you don’t, you’ll join a long list of TrainerRoad “first race advice” posters who come back saying “yeah I went off the front and then was totally gassed and then died a thousand deaths and got 14th but I learned a lot, can’t wait to race again!” No shame in that! But there’s a better way!

Learning how to sit in the peloton and do as little work as possible, while observing the race around them, is probably the single most valuable skill any racer can learn.

I think it’s very poor coaching advice when some coaches say to athletes “yeah mix it up at the front and see what you’re made of!”

If pure useless fun and no learning or rider growth is the goal, that’s a great approach. I do love some pure useless fun too!

Unfortunately, if learning to race and feel competent and in control during races is a goal, that’s about as poor of advice as a coach could give an athlete.

Reason: You can’t learn from what you can’t observe.

If you’re on the front, at the front, or off the front, most of the race, you’re learning only what happens to the 5% of riders who are in front of you.

If you really want to learn (and win) bike races, you need to know what they look like from the middle and the back of the peloton. Especially as >90kg athlete. For you to win races, you’ll need to spend a lot of time conserving energy (and learning how to do that) mid-pack or back of pack.

Can’t encourage you strongly enough to spend most of the race sitting in and finding out how little effort you can put forth. It should feel lazy if you’re doing it right.

2 Likes

Completely agree and that’s what I meant to say! Will definitely try to stick with the pack and only open it up at the end!

Thank again for the advice!

2 Likes

This is the best advice possible for new racers. Thank you for sharing.

1 Like

Can I glom onto this thread to ask a similar question? Getting ready for my first gravel race next month. It’s 55mi with 2000ft of elevation. My first and only goal is to finish and use it as a learning opportunity for future events.

Is the best way to figure our “race pace” for something of this duration just a % of FTP and/or HR zones? At least for the first 75% of the course?

A race will largely go at its own pace and you have to fit in with that or fall behind. Pick a broad range of power that you think you can hold for 2.5 hours and start there. Anything more detailed than that is a waste of time. Make the most of drafting groups and conserve energy as much as you can. And don’t forget to eat lots.

If you only want to finish and ride it for the experience, just ride at a pace that feels good to you. Forget about power. Go on the start line, start pedalling, and, after the start madness has settled down, see if you are with a group, or if not, if there is one behind you to settle in to. Chat with them and enjoy the day.

For most mass-start events, you are better off riding with a group, then trying to hold a certain power. If you’re on your own in a long race, or want to prevent blowing up on early climbs for a super long day, yes, look at power. But normally, just find a group at a pace you like, and ride with them. It’s easier if you have mates to ride with, but if you haven’t, just be friendly and make some new ones, these are social events after all.