Foolproof 2-step weight loss tip

Step 1: Go on a 4-hour ride at a good solid pace; 0.8IF with some pushes above threshold. Fuel well but look to burn 2000-2500 calories.

Step 2: At the end of the 4 hours, find a fast downhill section and ride into the back of a car, fracturing a couple of bones in your face and giving you a concussion with severe enough nausea to prevent you eating anything more than the occasional yoghurt for two days.

Of course I jest. But it’s interesting that just 2 days’ enforced fast seems to have had a dramatic impact on my weight. Even after 4 days’ back to normal eating and now feeling strong enough to do turbo sessions, my overall weight is still 1.6kg lower than it was the morning of the accident, and the body composition scales tell me I’ve lost 0.7kg of fat.

Perhaps the energy burn required by the body to repair wounds is one that happens at a low enough level that it’s actually an effective fat burner??

1 Like

Glad you can make light of what could have been a very serious accident.

When you have had a bad bout of sickness and the runs you lose a lot of weight. Unfortunately it comes back on again very quickly.

Like I say, I’ve been eating normally for 4 days now and only 0.1kg above the minimum I reached. Perhaps when the healing is complete the weight will go back up, but right now it’s holding steady.

It was a pretty serious accident, I was out cold and had to go to A&E in the ambulance. But I’d rather joke about it than moan about it.

3 Likes

Rough. I’m going to try to modify step 2 a bit

Ride safe

Weirdly enough…I also have experienced this just this past week. Was rear ended by a car (while driving) and got food poisoning later that night which was essentially meant about 36 hours without any real food.

I dropped the last stubborn 1kg to get to 70kg and it hasn’t come back, even though I’ve been eating normally since last Saturday. This was the kilo that :clap: would :clap: not :clap:come :clap: off before and now it just disappeared into the wind.

No idea why!

1 Like

Like I say, my half-baked theory is that the body’s internal healing process - whether repairing damage or fighting infection - burns calories, but because it’s a low intensity burn, primarily targets fat.

I am now Chris Froome’s race weight. Now all I need to do is find 140 watts from somewhere…

1 Like

It is true that your body burns more calories repairing broken bones. It’s up to 20% more per day on the highest end for big breaks.

Are you supposed to use your own car for best results, or pick a random one? Does colour, size, or cost come into the equation? Thinking that you’re likely to sail over a Ferrari, but not so much a Ford Raptor…

1 Like

I fear I’m the only one who gets fat even with broken bones and bad hospital food so, thanks for suggestion, but I’m afraid it doesn’t work with me :rofl:
Glad you feel good now :wink:

1 Like

I just did my first proper workout (a reduced version of Ansel Adams -3) since the accident, and my heart rate was really high. Much higher than the RPE I’d expect at that level. Do you know if elevated heart rate is common during injury recovery?

I cannot necessarily disagree with your assessment of burning a cr@p ton of calories while the body heals thyself.

I’m still down 5 pounds since recovering from a 4 week (late January) battle with an upper respiratory infection.

I suspect the elevated HR is due to a slight loss of fitness. For me personally, it hasn’t been until this past week where I didn’t think I was going to Redline X 10 on my HR during strenuous TR workouts.

Best of luck with your recovery! Heal fast and may the wind always be at your back.

All the best,
Steve

1 Like

I’m not so sure about this. I completed a 1-hour workout at .90 or .91 intensity, which would have been very very difficult if I’d lost much fitness.

It was more like I was breathing and hurting at the expected rate for the effort, but my HR was 5-10 beats higher. I broke several HR records on the workout but felt pretty good after, not drained at all.

1 Like