FTP building -what plan

Age group triathlete with experience using TR HIM plan last season. Just finished a sweetspot base to brush off the dust and want to dedicate 6-8 weeks to solely increasing FTP.

What plan would be the best for increasing raw FTP?

Following this FTP build I plan to start HIM TR base/build/spec and follow the normal progression. I did not see a great deal of FTP increase over the course of all the phases and want to get a jump on that early.

AD

Which volume SSB did you do?

If you plan on doing the HIM build later in the season, I would suggest Sustained Power Build mid or high volume depending on time available.

1 Like

Hey there!

Seeing as you’ve now finished Sweet Spot Base, I would recommend Sustained Power Build as your FTP building program :slight_smile:

Cheers!

6 Likes

Did the low volume SSB to not increase weekly TSS too much. Juggling increasing running to 50/mile a week in preparation of balancing a busy season with half and full marathons in spring , tris in the summer and ends in a 50M ultra trail next Oct.

Sustained build is what I’m doing currently and I thank you for reassuring me that was a good choice.

AndrewD

2 Likes

Hi Bryce, I know this is an old post but if you wanted to repeat Sustained Build again how long would you wait. Would you do 2 or 3 weeks recovery rides or workouts ? I’m in the same boat . I’m 49 I don’t race I ride for fun with friends. But personally ( for me ) I want increase my FTP as quickly as I can. Just a personal thing… lol This is what I was thinking.
SSB 1&2, General Build, 2 weeks recovery, Sustained Build then Climbing Road Race. It seems like both Build Phases & CRR all complement each other Sorry the post is so wordy.

Hey @ChrisCycle,

Since this thread was started, I’ve created a resource that may be helpful for you in this situation, specifically the Build section.

https://support.trainerroad.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025556952-Too-Much-Time-

When repeating Build, you definitely want to listen to your body, and everyone is different, but I suspect that one extra recovery week would be perfect as long as you have been handling the first Build Phase in stride :+1:.

2 Likes

Thanks a bunch Bryce, I really appreciate it.

1 Like