FTP Energy Source?

@madman2 and @DaveWh already gave some great answers.

To add my two cents:

• The one thing I would disagree with from @madman2’s response is that it’s hard to change only one system at a time (aerobic or glycolytic). It can be done, but requires careful consideration of how to train and knowledge of your own physiology and metabolism.

• Although nutritional strategies can be used to alter the contribution of aerobic oxidative/glycolytic energy at any given power, the very large part of changes will come from the actual training done, not from the way you eat.

• From the testing I’ve done on myself and athletes I coach I’ve seen that typically around 92% of the energy at FTP (note - true FTP, I’m sorry but the ramp test does not give you this) is aerobic, 8% anaerobic. For an all out 4-minute effort, 80-85% of energy is aerobic.

• For the aerobic energy and how it breaks down into carb and fat oxidation, see the attached chart that compares two riders with fairly simliar VO2max. The solid line is a rider with a VO2max of 55 and VLamax of 0.5 (“all-rounder”) and the dashed line is a rider with a VO2max of 58 and VLamax of 0.3 (diesel engine).

5%20VO2max%2058%20vs%2055

5 Likes