FTP over 50 years

51 and 62/63kg. Current FTP 288 but normally get to about 300 come race season. I recommend you read Joe Friel’s book - Fast after 50 - it’s really, really helpful

7 Likes

I have my doubts about the next one also. It was a hell of a good day :+1:

Awesome, thanks :+1:t3:

Just to add my thoughts to the very clear ones above. 52 years old, 6’ 3" and 77kg. Started cycling in 2009/2010 and have gradually increased my time invested year-on-year.

Been with TrainerRoad for 7+ years.

FTP last measured with a ramp test a month or so ago and I got 324w. End of a good season which has seen me upgrade my racing Cat, try TTs and recently race a couple of CX races.

I know at some point my FTP will start to decline, but I’m going to try everything to delay the inevitable and see if I can get it back to last year’s high of 342.

Good luck! Francis

6 Likes

64yrs, 70kg & 176cm tall with FTP around 200 to 220. I am to complete 250k/wk made up of outdoor rides and indoor KICKR sessions on TR, Zwift and FulGaz.

I was involved in a MVA 13yrs ago which left some remnant knee, shoulder and head injuries. Bike training as been instrumental in maintaining physical and mental health and in deferring a knee replacement in retirement.

My wife thinks I push the body too hard with insufficient recovery (she’s probably right). Completing a tough TR workout or Zwift tour or a century ride results from the willpower to push yourself to overcome a challenge as you age which is good for the body and soul.

7 Likes

That’s awesome @Brad_Allen. I have chronic osteoarthritis in both knees, bike training has literally been a pain relief miracle for me :+1:

1 Like

I’m 64 years old and raced masters up til my mid 50’s. Was off the bike for about 6 years til this spring. A real eye-opener. at first 15 mph was painful. I carried a FTP between 220 and 230 when I was racing (68-70 kg), This spring I did an FTP 20 min test on Zwift and got a FTP of 170. Following Coach Chad’s advice in the recent podcast (before he gave it) and spent the summer just riding. One 3 hr group ride, one long slow ride and one short very easy ride with my wife. Culminated in a Gran Fondo which unfortunately left me with tendonitis in my knee. Been itching to start base training. I’m hoping to get back to the mid 200’s for FTP

5 Likes

It seems to me that you are doing very well, those figures seem highly respectable. I’m 51, cycling 5 years recreationally on road. Never been fit, never done any structured training plan of any sort and prior to using trainerroad thought you had to stop the activity when lactic acids built up!
First ftp on TR in January 2018 was a mind blowing 146…yes you read that right. The first few weeks of the programme thought what the hell are you doing your way too old for this, but am really pleased to say didn’t give up. Have been making steady gains and had 6 ftp increases and am very pleased to be over 200 at 208. Rather than thinking of taking up a a gentler sport now see it as realistic to make further gains over the next few years. Thank you TR

8 Likes

I’m closing in on 51 and have been a semi-avid cyclist but it really dropped off for a few years until my 21 year old son got into fixed gear riding and I joined in. Still not putting in major miles but averaged about 150km/week this summer and now looking to improve (so I can keep up with 20 somethings) with TR. My first ramp was 167W before SSB LV I. I think it may have been on the low side since I didn’t understand Erg mode during the test and SSB LV I wasn’t especially taxing. SSB LV II ramp came out as 202W and looking forward to keep improving.

5 Likes

61 yo. 180 lb so 3:05 w/kg FTP 250 - highest was 258 so a new max is on the cards.
I time trial in the UK but in reality I only race to train as I enjoy training and feel I should target something just to have an aim.

Used TR for 5-6 years. I have a coach this year so I input his sessions into TR and run them through that.
Sometimes watch Netfilx but mostly listen to music/podcasts when training. I am just going to try out Fulgaz as I do enjoy training to cycling videos - especially training rides.

7 Likes

50 years old 75Kg/181cm…286FTP yesterday via the ramp with a Quarq PM.

While new to TR/Indoor training (day 2 today haha) I’ve been riding/racing for decades. I’ve made every mistake in the book…twice! My FTP always comes up to 310 in the spring doing 100% outside work with a Quarq/WKO+ combo. I predicted a 285W FTP from the data I have on WKO+ so I think the ramp test TR has put together is legit and is such a consistent and easy way to test an awesome tool for us age groupers who can’t let it go. So those of you new to this you should feel good about the ramp test. One thing I caution is using ERG mode if you plan to race. There is no ERG mode on your bike so I’d suggest doing ramps like you will race. Maybe I’m missing something?

I selected the medium General Build plan followed by the medium Rolling Road plan. My base is huge already so no need to waste time on a trainer for that. I’d be ecstatic with 320 and honestly could easily shed 5Kg via putting the fork down and not so much red wine. Cheers old guys!

4 Likes

Hey Landis, welcome to day 3, I’m new to cycling , could you share a top 10 do’s and don’t do’s, Thankyou

1 Like

@Trainer606 Not necessarily in order (no way to quantify) but here are some hard lessons I’ve learned. Keep in mind I ride year around and between 10-12,000 miles/year, race 30-40 events/year and average a bit over 1600-2400 TSS/month year around (before TR that is).

1. Core strength by keeping small muscles like the Multifidus group, etc…engaged is important to avoid injury. I say this as many think that doing some crunches will be proactive enough. Unfortunately I have discovered core means slightly more than that and keeping muscles engaged from the upper back/neck down to your calfs is important.

2. Concurrent by separate to number 1 muscle group balance is important to avoid injury. For example think if your quads are underdeveloped/engaged compared to hamstrings. If not kept balanced (relative) the imbalance could/will create pain/injury somewhere else. It may be as far away as your neck but, perhaps low back or even TFL.

3. Concurrent to number 2 proper bike fit is paramount to avoiding injury or at least giving the rider a chance to advance w/o setbacks. Spend the money and understand it’s a moving target as fitness/experience changes.

4. Related to number 3, shoes for new riders is an area they try to save money on. Generally, guys spend so much money on the bike, wheels etc…they fall short of buying quality shoes and bibs for that matter.

5. Sleep. Amount, quality and consistency will help you regenerate muscles and recharge hormones etc…when in doubt skip a training session if you are exhausted.

6. If you miss a work out don’t double up.

7. Weight and being lean is one of the most discussed and obsessed topics yet the most abused.
    7a. Weight is very complex but a start for most is understanding portion size. Something like myfitnesspal can really help many understand that calories add up faster than they think. Normally a few months using an app like that will give you a good idea of proper portion size.
    7b. Being lean is really the main goal for me. If I’m lean the weight is what it is. Not going to starve myself to lose a few pounds. So eating lean and clean is important. Whole foods, quality carbs, limit preservative type foods etc…is important. It ends up being a lifestyle and a bit expensive. But, as a Eric Marcotte told me one time: “Do you want to pay for disease prevention now or disease curing later?” I thought that was insightful.

8. If it’s not fun change.

9. If you’re going to race you have to learn to take chances. Meaning, you have to be willing to lose it all to win.

10…Family first. Always. This is a hobby. Balance in life is as important as balance in body.

Edit: corrected TSS

22 Likes

Landis, Thank you very much,The amount of cycling you do in a year, is the amount of miles you get with a car lease, amazing, Thank you for taking the time to write a great comprehensive list, I’m going to make this list part of my off season checklist, I hope you enjoy TrainerRoad , if you post in the future i’ll make sure to read. Peace 606

@Trainer606 Outside miles are vastly different than indoor trainer “miles”. So while the milage may be impressive I tend to ride a ton of miles that don’t really do much physiologically. I’ve been a believer in Dr. Seilers work on Polarized training and believe these indoor plans resemble that.

Interestingly, I even think the way these plans hold you to a target wattage 100% of the time an 800 TSS ride feels much harder than 800 outside. When outside even very short micro breaks can change whats going on from an adaptation standpoint.

If you are just starting out you are way ahead of the game using TR. Hopefully I can stay on target and make a break through this season!

Best Regards!

2 Likes

Just turned 52. Started with TR January of this year. Been back on the bike for 2 1/2 years but didn’t get power until I got my Kickr. Started out at 200 FTP and 165 pounds/75k for an W/kg of 2.7. After a year on trainer and riding more structured, my FTP is 235/240 and weight is down to 152 pounds/69kg for a 3.4 W/kg. I’m targeting 4 W/kg by June of next year. I won’t be losing any more weight so that puts my target FTP at about 275 W/kg.

I would note that comparing to other people FTP is misleading at power meter vary. My Kickr and Quarq are pretty darn close (withing 2-3 watts) but my 4iii is 10-15 watts lower. So to me, tracking your own progress and targeting W/kg is much better than just trying to hit an FTP based on what other people say they are (a lot of egos and FTP inflation!)

1 Like

Agreed, Landis , also as you said, being aware of the limiting and or negative impacts that riding can have, and doing enough complementary work off the bike are crucial. I think that if you start to replace some of your non-adaptive miles with focused Training ,no doubt you will be in top form in the spring. 330 anyone ? Peace 606

1 Like

I did my first ramp test back in May and got an ftp of 250. I do triathlons but injured my hip in early June and have not been doing a training plan, but dramatically upped my mileage and was doing quite a few hard rides with a friend on the road. I did the ramp test again today and got an ftp of 264. I turned 60 back in May.

3 Likes

I’m 50 in January and have an FTP of around 320-330. I’m 189cm and weigh 85-88 kg.

I have only really been averaging around 2-3 hrs a week for a long time and only cycling indoors on Zwift.
I had been expecting a much bigger drop off but seem to be settling around this despite very little time riding.

2 Likes

Some impressive numbers here, and whilst initially I felt a little envious, and a somewhat ashamed at my paltry numbers, actually you’re all inspirational. As a newbie on TrainerRoad and as a 44 year old I can see there is a journey to getting fitter and I am encouraged by how fit some of you are into later years.

5 Likes