Garmin buying Tacx

Had a shower thought on the subject. I wonder if a company with deep pockets like Under Armour will be enticed into the online cycling-fitness market. While not a cycling company, they might see value in the fitness side of it.

UnderArmour is interested in fitness market, they acquired MyFitnessPal, MapMyFitness/MapMyRide/MapMyRun/etc, and Endomondo.

3 Likes

Exactly, this kind of thing wouldn’t necessarily be outside of their scope

So Garmin will use Netherlands to pay less corporate TacX? (I know Garmin is based in Switzerland, just had to get this out of my system)

I know everyone is excited about Peloton, but talk to me in 6 months. I’ve been coaching endurance athletes for 19 years, and there’s always a lot of initial enthusiasm about a new piece of equipment that ‘enables’ athletes to train at home. Month’s later you can get a good deal on the equipment on Craigslist because most people really don’t like working out by themselves. And ‘virtual’ training buddies don’t count. I have a cycling studio and many of my athletes have also bought smart trainers. (most of them are Hammers, fwiw). I put our class workouts up on TrainerRoad so the team can use them when they train at home, but one-by-one they abandon the trainer and come to class. They just really like training with other people. They will supplement their training at home when they have no choice, but given a choice, not many people like training alone on a regular basis - IMHO.
BTW - I’m hoping trainerroad will come out with a group workout platform that will support our Cycleops indoor cycles which use a proprietary ant+.

I’m with you on the wait & buy equipment cheap on Craigslist, however my Peloton premise is focused on classes like boot camp and yoga that require little to no investment on equipment (and not targeting endurance athletes).

Peloton is trying to break the trend you mention - just like Zwift, by the way. They are trying to make virtual training buddies count.

@Nate_Pearson,

Please, please don’t sell to Garmin if they approach you. You are too good a software company :grinning:

2 Likes