Gear odor - what do you use to prevent and/or eliminate it?

Jonathan Lee recommended a spray product on his “MTB podcast” that I can’t find. :frowning:
I’ve read that white vinegar works, but haven’t tried it.
This did not work: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079VDPKTC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks TR Forum!

good ol’ vinegar. spray it, let it do its magic for a while, then wash

1 Like

I thought there was something wrong with his cassette or chainrings when I read the title. I’ve had smelly feet, but never had that problem with my drivetrain.

4 Likes

:rofl:

I found that after wearing the same kit for 5 times in a row, it ceases to smell. Same as when you’re out camping and don’t change clothes for 5 days. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Capful of Dettol laundry cleanser in the conditioner section of the washing machine drawer, this is in the uk so not sure if they do it in other countries

2 Likes

Been using Tide Sport for years with no issues.

1 Like

I use Sport Wash. It works pretty good. If you have stuff that has been stinky for a while the odor may have set.

2 Likes

Plug for Hex Synthetic detergent. https://hexperformance.com

I use it for all of my synthetic performance clothing (cycling and backpacking). Seems to take care of odor on the backpacking clothes, which can be a major challenge after wearing the same shirt and running shorts unwashed for a week at a time.

It also seems to leave no residue buildup on synthetic fibers as can happen with detergents designed for natural fibers. (I’ll refrain from geeking out on the chemistry.) In fact, some of my older backpacking clothing had developed so much buildup that it was noticeable to the touch. Hex removed it and restored the original hand to the fabric. I have no objective way to assess performance factors like breathability/drying rate, but everything feels nice and new. I also like that it is available unscented and without uv-brighteners.

2 Likes

Following. All my gear is fine. Dr Bronners with a vinegar rinse for my kit.

But my helmet… Oh man my helmet. I can’t keep the funk out of it. I rinse it after every ride and toss the pads in with the laundry but the smell comes back quick.

2 Likes

I have no clue why I find this funny. I don’t. But I sure do.

5 Likes

Shower with your helmet more frequently. Shampoo will do

5 Likes

Ha. That’s what I do with my cycling shoes. So much sweat accumulates there that they are already soaked anyways.

Pads and shoes in the refrigerator. Apparently all the smell-producing bacteria is well adapted to warm and wet environments, not so much to dry and cold.

I use sensitive hypoallergenic detergent for my jerseys and shorts.

I just ordered a ski boot dryer for my cycling shoes. It circulates air, sometimes heat and sometimes ozone through the shoe. I need my shoes to dry faster after it rains, so hopefully it will work…

Something like this, but not exactly: https://www.amazon.co.uk/GDSZHS-Electric-Deodorizer-Intelligent-Foldable/dp/B0721PWJNQ

1 Like

The Hex product looks pretty good! It’s description of how it works sounds a lot like the product Mr Lee described. Spray it on and it goes after either the oils or bacteria and leaves a dirty jersey smelling like absolutely nothing.

1 Like

lol - shoes in the refrigerator? hard pass.

1 Like

My shoes in the refrigerator would be grounds for divorce and murder. Not in that order.

1 Like

Fridge won’t work. Freezer on the other hand will. It will kill the bacteria. The sun will as well but it will also break down things much quicker.
Anyone who has played hockey knows to leave their stuff in a frozen car if you want it to stop smelling haha.

1 Like

Set,

Hate to tell you, but the only order is divorce then murder :frowning:

1 Like