General build or Sweet spot base to start with?

I’ve started TR on Monday with the General build plan but I’m starting to think that I should have done sweet spot 1st and then general build, or does it really matter? Now is the time to change if I need to :+1:t4:

The programs are designed in cycles that go Base > Build > Specialty so you will certainly benefit from starting with Sweet Spot Base! The SSB plans are made to put you in a great place to get through the Build plans as a natural progression, whereas going straight into Build may feel rather unpleasant :smiley:

The phases are a progression. Start with your Base phase, then Build and then Specialty.

For a vast majority of users, Sweet Spot Base is going to be the best starting point. If you’ve not done structured indoor training before (or are significantly deconditioned), start with Low Volume. Note that the Sweet Spot Base comes in two blocks; Sweet Spot Base I (6 weeks) and Sweet Spot Base II (6 weeks).

1 Like

Was thinking of doing SSB vol 1 FOR 6 Weeks. Is it then recommended to go on to “Build Plan” or do another SSB vol 2 before going on to Build plan??

@teamkennyg The progression that we recommend is SSB1, SSB 2, any Build Phase you want, and then a specialty phase.

Thats great thanks. I was thinking 12 weeks at sweet spot was a lot but I’ll stick with the people who know👍🏽

1 Like

Here’s a thread here that may give you some encouragement:

It’s very common for people to see their largest gains from the Sweet Spot Base phase. Even though Build phase sounds like that’s where you’ll get your gains, for a lot of people that’s the phase where you consolidate your gains made in SSB.

Another helpful resource is the podcast episode on planning your training year. You can check it out here:

1 Like

I though about doing that but went with sweet spot base mid volume. It’s not easy. Definitely a good way to start.

Hi all,

Looking for advice on SSB plans vs what I’m doing at the moment.

Have a demanding schedule and can only fit in 45m-1hr a day training. No races coming up so I’m just training to keep fit.

With my limited time have been doing 3 different workouts on a rotation about 5-6 days a week:

• Carter +3
  • Banner
  • Apple Orchard
  • Ramp test every few weeks to ensure FTP is still kinda accurate.
  • high rep (low weight) strength training

So far this has worked pretty well for me, but I’m worried my training may be too narrow focused (lots of steady state, not enough intense interval work), as I’d like to have good fitness when COVID19 restrictions allow Crit season to start again.

Cheers

James

Do the Low Volume plan but swap out the 90min workout for a 60min one, there are several “minus” versions to pick from. As an example:

Eclipse: https://www.trainerroad.com/app/cycling/workouts/1265-eclipse

Eclipse -3: https://www.trainerroad.com/app/cycling/workouts/265545-eclipse-3

You won’t get quite the same training but there’s nothing to stop you repeating a week here and there to give you a bit more time to adapt or even repeat SSBLV2 as a whole plan.

2 Likes

What do you after you’ve completed this progression - rinse, repeat?

1 Like

Pretty much, though with variations. It’s partly why TR came up with Plan Builder in that it lets you specify your important events/races and it will then try and arrange a periodised plan to fit in with those. Speciality tends to be a tapering phase, if you look at the weekly TSS for the plans there’s no progression as in the other phases, so there’ll always be a week or two of that before your event(s). Base and Build are both really Build phases, Chad has mentioned that Base Pt2 could equally be Build Pt1. On the podcast the phrase they’ll use is “forging the blade vs sharpening the blade”.

Of course when you return to the Base phase you should, hopefully, be at a higher FTP than the first time round. I’m just into my second year and it just so happens that I created a plan through Plan Builder and I’m doing the Sweet Spot Base plans week for week at the same time so it’s interesting to look back and compare how I’ve improved. Last week I did Antelope which is a sweet spot workout at power levels that a year ago would have been top end of threshold/bottom end of VO2max.

3 Likes

Thanks all.

For context I’ve been following this progression since March, which has led to an FTP increase from ~260 → 315, (or roughly 3->3.75 w/kg with a 2kg weight reduction)

This is including having a child under 2yo and completing an CPA program - hence the limits on time.

Today I’ve signed up for SSB mid vol 1 and will sub out any workouts >1hr

Thanks guys!!