Generic / Fake Maurten?

I typically mix 800-900 calories in a bottle. Two bottles on the bike. That’s enough food for 5 to 6 hours of racing.

How are you not dehydrating yourself?

Well, two things:

#1: I am dehydrating myself.

#2: I carry ~2.2L of water in a bladder on my back.

That, along with some tricks Allen Lim taught me are enough to get me on the podium in races that have temp profiles like this:

and this:

Good, I’m glad you added that bit of info. Some may read your initial statement and believe that is the proper way to fuel and hydrate.

1 Like

I’m glad I could clarify, Chief! :wink:

1 Like

7.5g of sodium per bottle? I hope thats a typo.

I wondered the same but after trying Maurten it taste like Maltodextrin and salt to me. Not crazy about the taste but it does seem to do the job.

1 Like

I’ve been using Tailwind on longer rides and it’s been :+1:.

That’s a 2 hour food bottle. I’ll be taking in additional water from another bottle and on-course support (if it’s a race).

Nope. I have 15g per Liter, but it’s not Sodium Chloride which would destroy me and probably be less drinkable than sea water. It’s Sodium Citrate. And in concentrations around 15g per Liter you’re looking at a pretty close to isotonic solution which is what I’m going for. I’ve taken in up to 60g of Sodium (and the other trace electrolytes) on a 4 hour ride before with no problems.

3 Likes

Maybe @Jonathan can help us elaborate. :grinning::grinning:

That makes a lot more sense…so looking at your total water consumption…you’re somewhere in the neighborhood of 375 calories per half liter of water consumed. Makes a LOT more sense haha.

Where do you buy these ingredients / brands?

Also, do you add any flavoring? Or does the maple syrup add a little bit of taste?

I tried Maurten for the first time this past weekend, and to me it tasted like slightly “stale” water.

@brux Is it the un-labeled version of the Maurten gel? Link here

Not from what I read and based on the description:

Designed using the same high-performance formula as the original but without any branding on the packaging, the Maurten Unofficial Gel 100 12-Pack can be used by all runners, even those sponsored by other brands. Maurten combines nutrition and science to create one of the most efficient energy gels available.

That product is the same stuff, but able to be used incognito for those with other brand sponsorship.

1 Like

I got them all from Amazon. For the brands, I just look for ones that have a decent amount of reviews that are not all terrible and don’t look like robots. Most of them ended up coming from “BulkSupplements” but there were a couple others in there as well. And on the taste front, I don’t add anything else as the maple syrup is good enough to make it go down pretty easily. (It can get pretty sticky though if you spill it)

1 Like

I’m going to try this, my nearby Big W sells maltodextrin powder in the brewing aisle and the supermarket sells Gatorade powder. You don’t add any salt or anything?

1 Like

I wonder if there much difference between Maurten’s drink mix and energy drinks in jelly form like these Weider energy jelly drinks:

That’s 45g of carbs in drinkable jelly form which you can get at any grocery or convenience store (at least in Japan).

1 Like

@Michael_Tate

OK I just want to clarify here…are you doing your mg to g conversions correctly?
Companies like Precision Hydration are doing 1500mg per Litre for their products; https://www.precisionhydration.com/collections/hypotonic-electrolyte-supplements-salt-tablets-sports-drinks/products/h2pro-1500-strong-low-calorie-electrolyte-tablets?variant=13771382404

You are, if your conversions are correct, doing 15,000mg/L, 10x the amount prescribed. Or 7500mg if we go with your original 7.5g measurement.

Can you clarify?

I had criticisms of the 800cal per bottle too, but kept those to myself and gave up based on the response.

No idea how it compares to Maurten, but there’s another thread here Maltodextrin or Glucose for fueling? on mixes too.