Gravel Bike or XC MTB

bike

Trying to decide my next bike. Not being able to apply the N+1, because in my case N+1=D (D being divorce).

So I am trying to decide between a Gravel bike and a XC MTB. Where I live there’s not a ton of MTB trails that are not over 1h drive, but we do have Gravel roads into the western Sierras (around Sequoia National Park or Yosemite). I also like the idea of the gravel ride scene that seems to be popping everywhere.

Even If I bought a XC bike I doubt that I would be doing more than just easy trails and mostly gravel/fire roads. But I could enter Xterras or easier MTB races.

With that in mind, what bike would you rather have? more versatile XC but also limiting when doing “faster” gravel events? or just man up on the Gravel bike on those easier single tracks?

thanks!

@Upanddown480 Personally, I would go with an XC bike if you don’t feel like you are going to be doing strictly gravel just because of the versatility. If you are limited on the number of bikes you can have, a versatile bikes is the way to go. Nate has actually put gravel tires on his XC MTB for certain gravel events as well so that’s always an option if you do a gravel event.

You should also consider what type of riding you have around your area. Is there good single track that you can ride through most of the year? Are there great gravel roads to ride?

I’m biased towards an XC bike as I long riding single track. It’s great to get away from cars and traffic and relax with a long ride on the trails. I also like the interval aspect of XC mountain biking that contrasts nicely with my long road rides.

Do you have any interest in long endurance mountain bike events in the future like Leadville? Perhaps another argument for an XC bike.

Check out the Salsa Cutthroat. It’s a cross between a gravel bike and an XC Mountain bike, and would allow you to ride gravel roads and also light MTB trails.

Drop bars, can fit 2.4” tires on 29” wheels, can add a 100mm front suspension fork.

There’s some single track around, or I could drive, to SLO and have plenty to choose from. Not sure I would take advantage of more than an XC. Tops I could see myself riding something like Carson City off road. I guess you can always do a gravel race on a XC but not the other way around.

The next step would be deciding between a HT or FS Xc.

PS: sucks having to decide… every cyclist should be allowed to have 1 of each!

If you want to do an xterra, you cannot ride a bike with drop bars so consider that if you want to go that direction.

A hardtail 29er is still going to be able to make it through some rather rough terrain, but you have to work a bit more for it. The benefit of going HT if you do decide… maintenance costs, and you can get a bike with better components and or better frame/components for the same price.

:rofl: Made my day.

So what I read is that you have a lot of gravel near you that you could ride frequently, and you’re interested in joining the local gravel scene. The closest MTB trails are an hour away, you don’t think you would make that drive very often, and even if you did, it would be to ride light singletrack and fire roads. I don’t understand why this is even a question. You basically want to be a gravel rider and not a mtb’er, right?

Pretty much. I.just wonder if an XC bike would be more versatile. But thinking about it I could get a gravel bike at a fairly good price and then a more fun orientated $2k level trail MTB (and be ok with the time penalty on the once a year Xterra)

If you want a 1 bike does it all bike, Gravel 100%, i bought a gravel bike 2 months ago and haven’t touched my aero bike since!! brilliant on the road, doing my club rides on it, still fast, yes i maybe working slightly harder than the rest, but I’m much more comfortable. Off road they are amazing, much more proficient then you would think, takes me back to my early MTB days when they were fully rigid, but technology has moved on so much they handle single track like on old suspension bike.

I had the same choice and went hardtail MTB. More capable, more versatile, and with fast tires the same speed on gravel.

On the other hand…if it’s easy trails, gravel, and some road riding especially in groups then put me in the “gravel bike” group!

Both.

For sure!

I have a full suspension MTB, and a “road” bike that I can ride on maintained gravel - can fit 35-37mm tires rear-front.

But I need an in-between bike also - so looking at either the Salsa Cutthroat or Warbird (or similar). That way I’ve got pretty much everything covered with three bikes - road, gravel, jeep roads, MTB trails. And also my fat bike for snow :snowflake:

Since nobody has mentioned it, a rigid 29er MTB is a good option for gravel/trail use. A suspension fork is overkill for gravel and mellow trails, and adds unnecessary cost and weight. A rigid MTB is very weight competitive with a gravel bike. There are plenty of very fast 29er tires, and you could of course run any gravel tire you wish. The main downside for gravel use is the lack of the drop bars for the aero position.

Unless you are skilled, I’d recommend a flat bar on any real trails.