Half Ironman Recovery Weeks

Hi all, I’ve got a question about recovery weeks in the half Ironman plans (low volume). I’m struggling to actually be sure that there is a recovery week every four weeks. Every four weeks is seems there are two weekend rides. I’m just not understanding how the more volume is a recovery week? I realise that some of the weekly workouts are easier, but the weekly TSS doesn’t seem to drop in the recovery weeks.

1 Like

I’m a few weeks into low volume build and have noticed the same thing. I’ve just taken it day to day. If I’ve got nothing left in my legs I’ll swap in an endurance or recovery ride. I’ve been skipping pettit as well. With my schedule I had to put them on my only rest day and would much rather do some yoga and/or stretching.

I was thinking the same. I am new to the Middle distance triathlon. I have struggled to keep up with the workouts in general. The Runs and the swims are hard for me. The rides are ok. When I looked at the overall TSS and the time it drops very little. I am not sure this is good. I thought a Ramp test would come after the 4 weeks to get a quick check on progress, made a mistake there. The Run and Swim days are hard to put together. Work and Family make it a challenge. ‘Man-up’ one side says and the other listen to the podcast and ease off a bit.

1 Like