Has anyone else gotten a fever the day after the Ramp Test?

So I’m convinced this is more of a correlation and not necessarily causation, however I completed the Ramp Test Tuesday (4.4% increase!) and was tasting blood and had a sore throat immediately after. That night I was constantly woken up by my throat and developed a small cough. The following day I ended up leaving work early from aches and chills. I got home and measured my temperature and found I had a fever of 101 F. Had the fever all night last night and woke up today with no fever and only mild congestion.

Could this one day fever really have been a result of the Ramp Test? I’ve never had a fever for only a day and didn’t have symptoms until immediately after the test. My theory is I picked up something and the stress of the test let it do its thing and now that I’m recovered, it’s on the way out. This was probably my 5th Ramp Test and I have never had this happen before.

No, but I once started developing a sore throat on the way home from my end-of-season A Race (club hill climb) and had to take a week off the bike with a heavy cold.

Think you got it in the last paragraph.

Something’s already inside you. Stress of ramp test brings it to surface. I’ve often developed symptoms of a cold within hours of a hard or depleting race.

4 Likes

It’s what I thought. Just found it odd that it ran its course so quickly

Maybe just lucky! fingers crossed

1 Like

interesting and timely post, my wife went see a personal trainer on tuesday (she hadn’t worked out in a long time and it was strenuous) and yesterday was sick with a 101 fever. Maybe she already had a bug and the workout stress maybe made things worse, but she was just texting me wondering about the connection

Very interesting. I’m also sitting here wondering if I should ride. Only symptom now is congestion which usually clears up with sweet spot intervals :bike:

Maybe it was Mr Mercedes?

I’ve actually had similar symptoms from heavy weight training, especially if its squat and my entire lower body are killing me, felt like i had the flu! I found that really trying to re hydrate and eat decent food shortly after the workout really really helped then next time + a ton of foam rolling after

1 Like

I had a similar experience. I was recovering from a cold and had been off the bike for about a week. I took a ramp test to start a new base phase and see what kind of fitness I had lost. The next day my fever was back and things got considerably worse from there. I ended up getting quite sick afterwards and had to take almost a month off. In the future I will not do a ramp test if I am feeling under the weather. Again, I don’t know if the intensity was the cause of getting sick again, but I’m sure it did not help.

I am finally on the bike again and just completed my first week of the base phase. It feels good to be healthy. I hope this was just a blip for you, but take it easy if symptoms persist.

1 Like

The stress of the ramp test is really pretty low. Substantially lower than a normal workout. I cant see anyway it could be related.

I agree that the stress recorded via TSS is low but I think the stress your body undertakes during those final minutes could be a bit of shock to the system.

Like mentioned in a previous post, the OP, perhaps had something in the system, that the Ramp test surfaced. Also, depending on the OP’s training load the previous weeks they may have been on the cusp.

I found that the standard TR block was a little too long for me and I need to set mine to a 3 week train and 1 week rest period otherwise I could feel myself not getting the recovery I needed.