Has anyone gotten sick in the middle of training?

Couldn’t agree more, yesterday was day four for me so I’ve decided to go nuclear with it this weekend.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Btow100ASP7/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=n8xh7nhowuwe

If that stash doesn’t kill it off I may just give up and accept my fate :biohazard::coffin:

2 Likes

FWIW I’m going to plan my comeback using this:

Also, about min 36:

Keep your distance!

3 Likes

Joe Friel’s standard in his books is useful here.

Don’t train if you have below the neck symptoms; two days easy base riding for every day of symptoms.

I’m in day 7 off the bike right now from the flu. I have already written off racing in March and April.

I find I lose about 5% from a solid 1 week illness. It comes back, but don’t try to rush it – you’ll just get sick again.

3 Likes

That sucks. The flu is definitely something to respect.

And don’t think w/kg and try to eat less, even if you’re hungry, when you have a bad cold or the flu. No, you are not doing those 1000-2000 kjoules of work every day, but your body is having to make white blood cells and goblet cells and new mucous membrane tissues to replace the dead ones that you’re sneezing and hacking out.

I’ve never seen a formula, but I’ve seen everything from ~250 extra calories a day (British National Institute for Health) to 10% of BMR+activity (If, like most of us, you are still dragging yourself to work each day and can’t write off a week in bed).

If you’re hungry while sick, eat. If you do gain a kilo, it’ll come off later. Your body needs that energy now.

1 Like

Yep super advise. Same to those reading who have broken a collar bone etc…everyone wants to jump back as if nothing happened but, the body takes a lot of energy to heal. Training too much too early impedes healing.

I got the flu about 4.5 weeks ago (despite getting the flu shot, though I think it helped me compared to my coworkers who didn’t have the shot and have really been hit hard). Took 8 days off from training entirely and have spent the past 3+ weeks very gradually returning.

I dropped my FTP by 30 before starting back. This week I hope to do about 2/3 of the planned volume, and am considering repeating the last four weeks of my current plan (base half-IM mid-volume) once I feel 100%. Early May “A” race is in doubt, but if I do it I won’t have any performance expectations.

Can’t really help getting sick sometimes, just got to roll with it and listen to your body. I’ve had mild colds that I was able to train through at a much reduced level of exertion and little loss of fitness. But a virus like the flu is a different animal.

Yup was there 2 weeks ago. The joy of having kids is that they bring in all those immunity boosters (or destroyers whatever you wanna call them) back with them.

Missed a week of training which means my FTP should be at least 25% higher now… … …right?

Or does my math not add up? :wink:

I guess an update for anyone who gets this virus…

21 days. First week was chest only and cough. second week it stayed in my chest and migrated to my head. Third week the symptoms receded but, energy was low and mornings I still blew my nose and I could feel my ears popping etc…by day 21 I felt close to normal.

Just back from a routine medical. The Doc that saw me is a pulmonologist. He said he is seeing people with symptoms for 8 weeks. I assume they are rather unhealthy but, the point is this virus is stubborn. I have numerous team mates and co-workers who have been out for a month. Take it easy!

Yes. In both 2016 and 2017 I came down with severe food poisoning or a similar ailment at key times in my training. In 2016, it took out my peak training week, and then some, leading up to my A race, a training sequence (including a weekend of running 25mi on Saturday and 20mi on Sunday) I didn’t have time to replicate. In 2017, i was taken down for another ten days, plus recovery, after the final build.

Both times I suspect the sickness was at least greater because of the training stress compromising my immune system, and nutrition and rest deficiencies unable to compensate or otherwise provide enough “protection” or support.

In both cases the “upside” was carrying noticeably less weight going into the A race (an ultramarathon in both years). Though effective, I wouldn’t recommended this weight loss method.

I feel as though I’m on the tail end of a bad chest cold, nasty chest congestion for about a week and still have a bit of phlegm.

I was on the second week of SPB MV when I got sick. I stopped the training as soon as I felt the cold go to my chest. I am hopeful to get back to my training soon, though I am not sure whether to start the SPB from the beginning. I’m actually feeling pretty weak at the moment and kind of know this is not going to be good when I get back on the trainer. Actually thinking of just starting from the beginning again and doing the SSB MV over again just to rebuild a bigger base so to speak. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have trained myself through fevers and virus infections. All it did was dig a deep hole which lead to pneumonia. And a loss in training and fitness. Put me back weeks

Now simple rule is above the neck okay. Below the neck nope. I’ll take two days off.

I have learnt the hard way that coming back too soon just kills me. Normally when I’m feeling better I start with an easy ride and see where my HR is compared to the baseline and work from there.

I’ve been off the bike for 7 days now, my chest is still congested. Coughing up phlegm and get rid of it, as soon as I have anything to eat I start getting the phlegm back shortly after :frowning:

Thank God I am feeling so much better this morning. Still going to wait on the training for another day or two.

Will likely start slowly as suggested with a light easy spin session. Then reassess whether to continue where I left off or just start over. It’s really not a big deal if I start my from SSB again as I am not a racer, just do this for my own personal gratification and want to be fitter and faster.

1 Like

Sounds reasonable! I have been sick as well, just a mild cold. I had scheduled a ride with my homie to test some bikepacking gear yesterday, and skipped wednesdays and fridays workout to get better for the ride.

The weekly tss is roughly the same as if i would have done the workouts, so unlike you I’m going to continue the plan and see how it works out!

My illness started out as a mild head cold and quickly became a chest cold. Still have a bit of congestion this morning. So I’ll just play it day by day. Hopefully this does not last to much longer. Best of health to you.