Heat Training (Acclimation)

HeatTraining information and resources:

• (We will update this lead post with appropriate info over time.)

How to Get Faster with Heat Training

• While the focus of optimal indoor training is to control two critical variables — intensity and duration — heat is another powerful tool to develop fitness and get faster.

Training without a fan
Should I train with the air-cond on or off?

Huh, this is my topic, I guess :). Living in Middle East and having rides around in 40 degrees , I cannot wait to see the responses :slight_smile:

I’ve been using heat training to prepare for Kona as it’s quite cool here in northern Ontario already. I keep my room at 30 Celsius approximately 80% humidity. I started 2 weeks ago and found it excruciating the first time, thinking I’d never be able to keep it up. I kept at it adding 20-30 in the sauna immediately following my workouts and I was able to complete a 4 hour ride last weekend. I’m finding my 1-2 hour rides followed by a brick run to be quite tolerable now. I’m quite surprised how quickly I was able to adapt. I’ve made sure to up my liquid and sodium intake during and after workouts. Looking forward to see if it all pays off in Kona.

Hi, I’m training for an event in Namibia, 373km MTB through the Namib Desert and starting in 40 degree celsius heat. Extremely warm and dry conditions.

I’ve been doing my low intensity training without a fan and also included sauna sessions to become better heat adapted. There’s a lot of info on the sauna benefits and also how to do the sessions by getting your core temperature up first through exercise and then sitting in a dry sauna for 20 - 40 minutes. For me anything above 20 min is tough.

Now my question is… How do you end these sessions? I find sitting in a pool directly thereafter brings down core temperature quickly and prevents sweating for the next 2 hours as your body keeps on trying to cool down or whatever happens.

Are there positives to naturally getting body temp down to normal vs doing it in a pool directly after sauna? The aim obviously remains to get adapted to heat for a big event.

A good listen from the Flo guys this week "How to Control your Body Temperature’ with Dr. Douglas Casa:

Yup, I posted a dedicated thread on it earlier today.

Ah fair enough :slight_smile: I did a search for ‘heat’ before I posted but it didn’t come up.

Pretty substantial, and free, review article on different protocols:

Interesting, thank you for posting. It seems like Hot Water Immersion (HWI) would be the most practical and easily accessible method. I’m gonna give that method a try this year.

For sure. I’m not seeing as much data on Hot Water Immersion as the other protocols, but even if gets you 80-90% of the benefits as the rest it still holds true that the most beneficial plan is one you can consistently stick with. I’m definitely looking to do it this year. Last year for my first 70.3 I did some heat acclimation with 2 weeks of low intensity workouts, but forced my body temperature (oral) >101F. It. Was. Miserable. But, subjectively, I feel like it had a substantial impact. The race was in the 80s and I felt amazing on the run.

@chad @nate I wanted to tag you, just for the off-chance you hadn’t seen the above review.

I’m considering doing this in the near future even though my A race isn’t until June with the thought that if I can get the boost now, I should be able to train harder and see further gains. After-all, it could be called legal doping… I need to revisit, but I found a study that stated in conditioned athletes, they may maintain their heat acclimation with just 1 session every 10 days. Any thoughts on this plan?

Does sitting in a sauna have to be post-workout? Will I get the same benefits if done on a separate day?

Is there a specific time period necessary? 10min, 20min, 60min?

The two studies I’ve seen referenced were: 15 minutes pre workout followed by 15 min post workout, or 30 min post workout. The recent podcast w/ Ms Looney mentioned not drinking water, but I had not heard that part before. Anybody have a reference to that?

I just listened to this podcast from Sonya Looney, friend fo the TR podcast and user. Great information in this podcast. They break it down and make it easy to apply these techniques. I am definitely going to do this in hope to improving my performance in the humid midwest (KS) during the summer gravel events.

Sonya Looney

I don’t have a reference and have not read anything either way. The benefit is presumed to be from raising both skin and core body temperature above a critical level and the subsequent volume loss that accompanies. It is unlikely the fluid you’re drinking would be warmer than your core temp and could thus be counterproductive. Could swish and spit for an RPE benefit id imagine