Help! Choosing A Speciality Plan ?! (for my Alpine Stage Race)

Thank you! Such great information :smile:

luckily live near Wales ATM and so i do have a lot of hills around me ā€¦ not super long but with a a few reps you can get a fair amount in.

For example today i did my threshold workout: 5 x 10mins up a climb instead of on the trainer as the weather was decent for once. Do you think that is a fair simulation?

I do need to try and find some gradients similar to the Alps. Would you say they mostly fall in between 4-6% for an hour?

If i am feeling extravagant i was thinking of experimenting with the Kickr Climb and riding some longer climbs on an app like full gaz through the winter too ā€¦

Also on terms of back to back, i plan on doing the sweet spot base high volume as currently i have the luxury of time and 12-15hrs a week feels pretty good at present.

:+1:

Sorry for dilatory reply, have been travelling.

The Alpine climbs tend to be a little steeper than that, though unlike the Pyrenees they are mostly pretty regular so you can settle into a rhythm. Gradients tend to be between 6 - 8%. Best way is to check climbbybike.com or Strava once you know which climbs you will be tackling and that will give you a good sense. Key thing is to get habituated to pushing the pedals for quite a long time, both physically & mentally, so that the prospect of heading uphill for an hour or so without any respite isnā€™t a problem.

W.

1 Like

I havenā€™t read through all the responses but I did the haute Route Pyrenees 4 weeks ago.
In my prep I did sweetspot base 1&2 with mixed outdoor rides through to march followed by sustained power build. I then had a training week in Mallorca including the 312 followed by a 12 day break (holiday without bike) before starting the climbing road race speciality plan. However I probably only did around 25% of the workouts in speciality as the weather was good and I preferred to go outside. I also had another week away in Italy for the Maratona and some climbing practice.

Overall though I would say sustained power build and climbing road race plans for sure.
The haute Route is an awesome event and Iā€™ll be going back in the future for sure.

1 Like

Another tip Iā€™ll give you is to (nearer the event) practice sustained efforts at your climbing power in a low cadence eg 55-70 because you will get long sections in the Alps where you will be climbing at that cadence even in the 34x32 believe me and to achieve a higher cadence your power may not be sustainable.

3 Likes

Thank you very much for the additional INFO - so so valuable and useful ā€¦

I think my plan is too really spend as much time as i can increasing my muscaur endurance adn then start a 40 week plan as detailed above ā€¦

I will definitely be substituting a few sessions though as i do need to get outside and practice longer climbs ā€¦ i am going to have to do some scouting to see if thereā€™s anything in the UK i can use to replicate hour climbs!

re: gearing ā€¦

i know the Pyrenees is tougher in terms of gradients ā€¦ but do you think a 34/32 or even 34/34 will be sufficient to keep a high cadence on the alpine climbs? ā€¦ i am a real spinner (95-105 rpm) most of the time climbing ā€¦

thank you!

Tom - 1st off CONGRATULATIONS on doing the HR - amazing. So glad to hear you enjoyed it.

2nd - thank you so much for your advice.

3rd: yes this is something i am a little concerned about as i am a real spinner ā€¦ so its good to hear from you that doing some low cadence / high torque work might be neededā€¦

Annoyingly this year i was diagnosed with a slightly odd/rare condition which makes me a tad more prone to muscle/tendon and joint damage. I actually stopped running due to it and switched to cycling, but have found the bike to be fine even with 15-16hour weeks BUT i do ride with a very high cadence and really spin up most hills around 95-110 rpm to avoid flaring things up!

My understanding was the Alps werenā€™t too bad bad in terms of extreme gradients compared to Dolomites or Pyrenees? But i could well be wrong.

Have you ridden the alps also?

Did you ride a compact with an 11-32?
I am almost tempted to see if i can get an 11-34 tbh!

thanks again for your advice - so useful for me to be able to ask someone like yourself who has completed it a few questions!

Alex

Hi Alex, youā€™re correct that the Alps arenā€™t as bad as Pyrenees/Dolomites but in diff ways. They are more consistent so a better rythem is obtainable but still expect some long steep sections.
To give you some reference, I am 38 and around 4 wpkg. I rode the HR with a 34x30 but have often used a 32 in the past.

However when I say practice slow cadence I do specifically mean at your climbing power which takes quite a bit of discipline on a multi day event because you will be capable of upping your power (and cadence) slightly but to do so would mean going into the red.

Also, I didnt mean to worry you. It wonā€™t all be like that but rather to expect it a little and be prepared for it. If youā€™ve any other questions about HR feel free to ask or DM me.

Tom

1 Like

Hi Tom ā€¦

thanks for that!

so great and valuable to have your advice.

I took your advice and on my climbs today i really tried to dial back on cadence to try it.

I am 33 and also 4.2w/kg at the moment ā€¦ so not dissimilar!

if you donā€™t mind it would be great to DM you.

i admire you doing the Pyrenees ā€¦ sounds so tough!! Had you done one before?

i am going to look into a 11-34 ā€¦ iā€™d rather have too many haha

Please do. At 4.2 youā€™re in a great place to start from.

1 Like

Hi Tom ā€¦

thanks for that!

so great and valuable to have your advice.

I took your advice and on my climbs today i really tried to dial back on cadence to try it.

I am 33 and also 4.2w/kg at the moment ā€¦ so not dissimilar!

if you donā€™t mind it would be great to DM you ā€¦ cheers dude!

Alex

1 Like

I think either of those should be fine but as you say it comes down to style. I ride a 52/36 up front with 11-28 on the back & thatā€™s fine for me ā€¦

@deq451 Great post guys! Training currently for a 3day HR event. One question, what would be a recommended IF for each stage??? Probably going from less to more in the first two days and closing strong on the TT?

Hey @swin2000, did you compet in your HR event?
If yes, what was your IF?

It will be a bit lower since the timmed segments were separated but here are my stats:
Day 1: 0.70 in total / 0.75 for the timmed section
Day 2: 0.61 in total / 0.70 for timmed segment
Day 3: 0.88 for the ITT

Which event are you training for?

2 Likes

Thanks for the fast reply!
I havenā€™t decided yet. Either Crans or Ventoux.
Where have you been?

Mexico