HELP: Training Plan selection for Triathlete

Loving the forum, so let see if it can help me out.

I’m a beginner triathlete but come from a strong cycling background, XC MTB and TT.

Question: Should I select higher volume ( distance) tri plan and edit the runs and swims to suit my lower levels in these fields or follow the lower volume ( distance) tri plan.

My other thought was a hybrid plan of a cycling only plan and say sweet spot base and then “borrow” the swims and runs from the sprint tri plans…

In short I can handle the cycling but can’t complete the swims and runs, but equally don’t want my cycling to slip as learn the other disciplines.

I’ve been spinning around for days on this, as like all of us training time is tight and I don’t want to waste it.

any words of wisdom very much welcome

@stuartbrazier, both are conceptually very good ways to tackle the issue, but I think I’d lean more toward using a tri plan since scheduling 3 disciplines and multiple intensities within each can be a bit challenging and the plan formats will get you started. You can then tweak the scheduling as you see fit, but it could provide a good starting framework.

As far as the volume, your cycling is likely to need a stronger stimulus than your running and swimming, but also keep in mind the overall toll that accumulates when you’re doing all three. What I mean is, if you do high volume bike workouts normally but now you’re going to pile on low- or mid-volume swim and run workouts, you might overdo it.

If I were I coaching you, I’d tone down the bike workouts initially simply to allow you to adjust to the addition of 2 new types of training stress. And while this could temporarily cost you some of your cycling fitness (and it may not since maintenance comes at a far cheaper price than establishing fitness), I think it would be asking too much of your body to maintain a high workload on the bike and add swimming and running into the mix.

I understand the concern over losing a bit of fitness on the bike and the bike leg’s importance in a triathlon, but I also understand (all too well) just how hard the introduction of different endurance disciplines can be on an athlete.

@chad thanks for the words of wisdom and i’m stoked you found the time to answer…

one thing I note as to dashed off to load the Tri base plan into the awesome new calendar feature :smile:

Is the base is only 4 or 6 weeks long, depending on distance at this time of year should I do back to back base plans as my A race is not till May before moving on thru the plans as your mention in your recent pod cast?

@stuartbrazier, that’s a great idea. You can either pad the base phase or even do a base/build/base/build/spec sort of sequence if time allows. In any case, try to vary the stress every 4-6 weeks. Or at the very least, reassess and keep the intensity on track relative to your increasing fitness.