High Blood Pressure? Action Required?

Nice! :+1: On par with recent winner Mike Woods.

1 Like

Not quite the same type of racing though lol

Not really, but still…60+ races is fun times! #jealous

High Blood Pressure? Yes.
Action Required? Race more!

Keep us updated on you findings.

It can be challenging to get a correct reading. Keep an eye on your HR during the test, is it normal? Similar to your resting HR? Or much higher?

I’m quite an anxious person so it took overnight readings to sort mine out. I would just get stressed, even doing it at home! HR would be 70-80 when resting it’s 40-50.

I had high blood pressure reading once when I was donating blood. Something along the lines of 133/80 or something like that. I had my reading done laying down and the cuff on the left arm so it was all wrong.

I bought the Omron-machine above like 2 years ago and I check BP once every two weeks or every month. I’m usually at 100-110/60-66 so really not in any danger zone at all. Which I figured that’s why i bought the machine when they gave me that weird reading.

I’d recommend buying a good machine and doing readings at least twice a week for a month or two to see how it really is.

I usually do my tests in the morning after weighing myself and going to the bathroom. Always sitting in the same chair and in the same position and arm, right arm.

I’ve also noticed when taking on-bike readings that BP will be different if I’m in high or low cadence.

The difference can also large between the treadmill and the bike, which leads me to believe that the more muscle involved — high torque/big gear, walking/running impact — the higher the BP. In my specific circumstance, anyway. This also correlates (maybe?) to BP varying between the heart vs the blood vessels.

:man_shrugging:

Just took a couple readings at home. 116/76, much better in my opinion and I just had gotten home from grocery shopping. I’ll keep tracking it daily for the next week then weekly after that.

1 Like

Hey man, don’t underestimate high BP. Keep checking BP regularly infact I suggest you to buy digital BP monitor and keep track of your BP from home. If you want to know more about BP monitor this is a legit source - https://top10talks.com/bp-machine-price/

Hope it will help.

Thanks

1 Like

My company sells consumer blood pressure monitors so I just want to reiterate a few points above because they are important.

• Blood pressure is not a static measurement. It changes constantly, even throughout the day. Just because you have one borderline reading does not necessarily mean you have high BP

• “White Coat Hyoertension” is a real effect. Many people get stressed out at the dr’s office so their BP goes up. Monitoring your BP at home with a quality unit is an important component of managing your BP.

• If you are monitoring at home, you need to do it daily (even multiple times a day for some). You should also do it at the same time of day. This provides consistency and accurate trend data. If you only check it every few weeks, you really don’t know what your BP is other than at a few points in time. Since BP is not static, there isn’t a lot of value in that data.

• A healthy diet and exercise are essential parts of managing BP. Obviously not a problem for this group (at least the exercise :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:), but something to remember.

• Follow a routine when taking your BP. Avoid caffeine before taking a measurement, sit down in a comfortable chair, feet on the floor. Relax for 5 minutes and then take your measurement.

• Wrist units can be very convenient to use. More comfortable due to smaller bladders, faster measurement times, etc. But they must be used properly!!!. They are very prone to user error, so make sure your actually read and follow the manufacturers directions. (Yes, you have to read the instructions…sorry!)

Hope that helps!

3 Likes

Last year I was religious about taking my BP. AM & PM, same time, same location, no food, no caffeine, no talking…just sitting. Take 2 readings 5min apart. Also did BP readings while riding the training. Obviously not a precision measurement but mirrors stress test procedure and gives a ball park snap shot of what’s going on. FWIW, my white coat BP is around +25 sys.

1 Like

That is an excellent point. I’m willing to bet that you saw a difference between your first and second reading.

We have an advanced averaging feature that will take 3 consecutive measurements in one sitting and then average those measurements into a single reading. It is a much better way to measure your BP (and follows the recommendations of the AHA).

That said, most people don’t have the patience to use that setting.

True. I did spend ~20min/day doing BP readings, most people can’t even sit through a 24min TV show!