How to Win a World Cup Race, Cooling, Protein & More – Ask a Cycling Coach 206

Team Clif Bar Racing’s Pete Morris will be joining us this week with a couple deep dives on protein and cooling, race analysis of Chloe Woodruff’s World Cup STXC win, and much more! Join us live, this Thursday at 8:00am Pacific!

Youtube Live Video:

Topics covered in this episode:

Subscribe to the Podcast

Listen to previous episodes on SoundCloud

Episode Notes:

(2:15) Chloe Woodruff World Cup Win

(8:00) Exercise During First 6 Weeks of Pregnancy Considerations

(11:40) Jonathan’s Everesting Attempt

(31:40) Anti-perspirant Studies

(49:55) BCAA Studies

(1:10:00) TrainerRoad Race Prioritization Article

(1:24:00) Isotonic Gel Options

5 Likes

I’ll be interested in the low volume discussion. I’m going to start short power build next week in the lead up to CX season and have thought about going low volume after doing SSB1 and 2HV, Sustained power HV, and SSB2 HV again since November. While I have the time to do HV, I’ve wondered if doing LV will be better in that a) I can always fill in with endurance work or whatever else in between and b) CX races are only 40mins, so why go nuts training far beyond what is done in an event (I’m a fan of building extra capacity, esp if I were to double up on races, but I haven’t done multiple races in a day yet).

3 Likes

The how to be fast for an entire race should be a good segment since TOAD and Intelligentsia cup are right around the corner.

2 Likes

In reply to the advice for diabetics and cycling… Some advice and reading to help!

A. I highly recommend joining the Race T1 facebook group. We have an enormous amount of experience as a group exercising and training with diabetes. We also host Zwift rides and races. Personally, I have found the group a great way to get tips and tricks on nutrition timing, etc.
B. It is really difficult to find endocrinologists/doctors who can give definitive advice on training/nutrition with diabetes. So I do recommend some supplemental reading. One good book is the Diabetic Athlete’s Handbook.
C. There are training camps specifically for diabetics, because it is not easy training with diabetes. https://www.diabetestrainingcamp.com/
D. If you ever choose to partake in JDRF rides they provide training and nutrition tips

Just thought I would drop some tips on this specific topic.

3 Likes

Thanks for another cracker episode.
I might be over thinking this but just have a quick question around Chad’s favourite exercise, the Renegade row push up. With the row part of the movement for mountain bikers, should the movement be more “elbow out” (dumbbell at 90deg to the body) to be more like a traditional push up? My thinking is that I don’t want to ani train the strong action of elbows out as you want when you take a hit on a downhill as the strength in this position stops you going over the bars, whereas if your elbows go in you are going over for sure.

Good idea, bad or doesn’t really?

Love the discussion around recovering from a crash. Personally the point(s) raised by Pete and Chad about their bodies really resonated with me. I’m no stick thin whippet and I could probably stand to lose a kg or two, quite safely, but I like how my body responds when things go sideways.

Reminds me of the time I saw a cycle courier get wiped out on the junction between Oxford Street and Regent Street (London). He was hit what looked to be almost perfectly side-on and skittled down the road. Loads of onlookers thought we’d just seen someone get killed. The courier just got up, walked back to his bike and pushed it to the kerb. It was like watching the Terminator!

2 Likes

In regards to time crunched training. Your example was a teammate of Pete’s who is entering residency. Residencies vary in terms of their time requirement. They are currently time limited by law. When I went through surgery residency, there was no law and it was not uncommon to spend several days in a row in the hospital with minimal sleep. Regardless, sleep deprivation is part of the process, both in residency and in practice. During residency, I thought I was doing OK if I got one ride in a week. I started seriously racing in my 40’s and 50’s. I was able to manage about 10 hrs/week, and this afforded me to be mostly masters pack fodder with occasional top 10 finishes. I pushed the limits though and developed stress related medical problems that nearly derailed my surgical career. This led me to quit riding altogether. My advice is
Do what you can and do it for fun. If you have to stop training, don’t stop riding when you can. Its an absolute bear trying to regain former fitness. (I’m currently retired).

4 Likes

Interesting comments and timely for me. I’m a 4th year surgical resident. I consider myself pretty lucky if I can get 3-4 hours per week but certainly have been eyeing post residency for an opportunity to ride more (and catch up on sleep).

3 Likes

Is it possible to get a link or the name of the product(s) @Pete, @Jonathan and @chad use for your base-layers or even the kits you guys are currently using for hot, summer rides?

All of my kit is made by Cuore, and I use their 2-in-1 skinsuit. I have 2 vented ones and 4 non-vented.

I use their sleeveless base layer as well.

1 Like

Hey Guys,

Listened to the podcast on the way to a race and Pete’s words seemed to reach out of the speakers and poke me hard five times in the chest: “nail your low volume plan.” I may even have flushed in embarrassment because I play fast and loose with the mid-volume plan.

Here’s my problem: I have weirdly abundant time at unhelpful moments during the season. I’m a high school teacher, so time during the academic year is pretty limited, but come summer time I have what seems like all the time in the world. (That’s because of an incredibly generous wife, by the way.) In any event, that’s really only 8 weeks. Minus two for family vacation and suddently I’m looking at 6 weeks where I could do an ungodly amount of training. But why? CX? Gross.

I’ve tried the last two years to tweak my schedule to accommodate family responsibility and work obligations, and I can never seem to string together more than two consecutive days of riding with any real structure. It looks like this: Monday: Wife’s day; Tuesday: 2hrs; Wednesday: 2hrs; Thursday: Wife’s day; Friday: 1hr, Saturday: whatever’s left after the wife’s done (sometimes up to two hours but either super early or super late; often none at all), Sunday: all for papa. I’ve found that I relish the Sunday morning rides and often put in 3 or more hours on that day, but I often come home pretty tired.

It seems like in terms of gross hours, there’s plenty of time for the mid-volume plan, but the distribution of time in my schedule makes it difficult to get all the workouts in without doubling up - which I’ve not really done.

Here’s my question: would it be worth it to double up on one of those days during the week or weekend and stick to the mid-volume plan, or should I scrap mid volume and go for low volume? I was thinking hitting two intensity workouts during the week then starting a long weekend ride with the third and closing out the rest with aerobic endurance.

Here’s the caveat: I’m closing in on a cat 3 upgrade, but not because I’m doing especially well - more like intermittently well and reaching the voluntary upgrade points for pack finishes in fields of a certain size. When I get enough, I definitely want to move up, but I also don’t want to be a loser all the time.

I suppose I could just chill out in cat 4 limbo until I retire…Should I just take up golf now?

With regards to the protein/bcaa discussion and the mentioned 3 to 4:1 carb/protein intake…just to let you know there was a study contradicting the benefits of added carbs @Pete @chad. Here is the forum entry with links to the study and my thoughts:

Hey @Rizzi. I can’t fully speak for Pete, but I think he and I were both referring to the touted (and demonstrated) benefits of protein ingestion along with carbohydrate in order to more rapidly (and evenly, as it turns out) replenish glycogen stores. Sorry to have gotten off-point there for a moment. :wink:

1 Like

Most of this is mentioned before, elsewhere and in the pod cast, but thought I’d drop it here for reference.

Examine.com - 5 facts about protein

1 Like