I would like to take a hammer to my Cycleops Hammer right now!

I finally got the Rouvy app downloaded for calibration (which I will mess with tonight), is there a difference between calibrating with TR vs Rouvy? I have always just used TR

I hadnā€™t thought of that. Pause TR, open Rouvey, calibrate!

I would do the calibration through Rouvy. It doesnā€™t take that long. I was told by someone at Saris/Cycleops that as long as you donā€™t move the Hammer you really shouldnā€™t have to re-calibrate it. He recommended doing it maybe once a month or so. I probably do mine every two to three weeks.

2 Likes

Very interesting conversation with Cyclops, evidently the TR calibration is useless with this smart trainer. This seems to be a common problem and he was even frustrated at TR for their software not being able to ā€œplayā€ well with their product. I really donā€™t mind the two step process to training (ie calibration set up AND logging on to TR separately) as long as it works. I guess we will see this evening.

Bottom line: Always use Rouvy for calibration and not TR.

2 Likes

This is correct. Same with the Magnus. I just take it for what it is. I have to calibrate through Rouvy and move on and then I chalk it up to first world problems. If thatā€™s the worst part of my day Iā€™ve got it pretty good. :smile:

2 Likes

Can someone share the step by step instructions to calibrate with Rouvy?

I seem to struggle with the process.

2 Likes
  1. Open Rouvy App
  2. Go to FREE RIDE
  3. If you have connected to Rouvy in the past your trainer should be recognized and CONNECTED. If you this is your first time you have to go through SELECT TRAINER process.
  4. CALIBRATE button is located under trainer name.
  5. Follow instructions to calibrate. Pedal to 19-23mph for duration of time requested by app. 20 seconds. But it generally takes roughly 25 or so.
  6. Stop pedaling when it tells you to stop pedaling.
  7. You are now clear and ready for takeoff to ride on TRAINERROAD

Not to bad from memory hey? :smile:

7 Likes

https://support.rouvy.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004291089--How-do-I-Calibrate-the-Trainer- sent from Cycleops rep

2 Likes

Much appreciated, thanks!

It worked!!! It worked!!! I was able to sneak home at lunch to calibrate with Rouvy and did a quicky workout with intervals and smooth as can be and normal cadence of 90ish. HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY.

6 Likes

Calibrated with Rouvey this morning. Seemed to work, no issues spinning out after the Sprint intervals in disaster half anyway.

2 Likes

I have a Hammer and no issues at all with any zones. I calibrate it weekly. Works excellent and has been rock solid for the last year.

1 Like

Thank you all so much for this thread. Iā€™m considering a hammer and was a little worried about it and was going to pay a couple hundred more for a tacx neo. Ill grab the hammer. I also phoned cycleops and they say they are going to have a new update for the hammer shortly.

1 Like

Thank you so much for this info. I picked up my h2 from REI finally. I spent an hour trying to calibrate it. Searched the net and YouTube and then remembered this thread.

So simple when someone takes the time to post it and when you know where to find it.

Did my first ride with it here at the hotel and am quite surprised how quiet it is. Iā€™m running small front ring and middle rear.

Iā€™m so looking forward to returning the clicker core.

I also think my ftp might go up as Iā€™ve gotten used to the extra effort the clicker required to move(at least im hoping thatā€™s the case).

Thank you again!

I think itā€™s an amazing value at $800.00

2 Likes

Thatā€™s awesome. It really is a great trainer. Happy riding.

1 Like

So I have a question about sprinting. Basically what is the best practice. I followed the workout text and then switched to big ring and hammered it for the sprint. The problem is that the flywheel had so much speed at the end I couldnā€™t keep up and tr paused after the sprint because it thought I was not working. I had to wait until the flywheel slowed down enough to where I could pedal and tr recognized it.

I normally ride in the 34 front and middle rear. What is the best way to sprint? I really have no experience sprinting on a trainer as Iā€™ve been waiting to have a hernia fixed and could not ride out of the saddle or do sprints. Itā€™s was fixed 3 weeks ago so now Iā€™m experimenting.

Thanks for the help!

I find it a bit ironic/odd. They have the one device that doesnā€™t work like other devices and TR is at fault? Especially since Zwift was/is having a problem with it as well. Maybe they need to think about making their product compliant to match the rest of the trainer world.

Could you please expand on this?

I am at a loss. The problem with zwift as far as I know is that it would overheat on long climbs. Supposedly fixed with firmware and I have not seen mentions of it in a long time. I donā€™t see how trainer road has anything to do with this. You need to use rouvy app to calibrate it. Yes its dumb, but it works. That has absolutely nothing at all to do with trainer road.

As for compliance I think it complies quite well. Especially when you compare it to the 4 week life span of a kickr core or kickr 18 (slight overkill there but Iā€™m still pissed about my core!). Id rather have to calibrate with rouvy than break a new trainer every 6 weeks like a lot of people have and go through 6 or 8 of them on the way to get a working kickr. Whats going to happen to these people when warranty runs out? Its not like their warranty is being extended every time they get a new trainer!

As for tacx the neoā€™s would be amazing but are out of my price range. As for the flux neither GpLama nor DCrainmalker has completed a full review of them because they just have to many problems. Ray is waiting for tacx to fix the issues before he releases his review and hes been waiting well over 6 weeks. As for Shane he will not allow any trainers into the Lama Cave that start with F*** (hintā€¦flux).

Id really appreciate more information as I am a new H2 owner and your comments have me wondering about my purchase and something I might have missed.

I calibrate my hammer every month or two. I donā€™t move it around and take all my power readings from my Quarq, so I donā€™t think I have to calibrate it often. Itā€™s just controlled resistance for me.

Regardless of what smart trainer or other device I may have, I would always use the manufactures chosen calibration method. I would never use a third party to calibrate any device. I suppose itā€™s done by others for convenience, but I would always stick with the manufactures recommended way.

Reference overheating, in the year Iā€™ve had the H1 and the number of successful hard climbs up Alpe du Zwift, Iā€™ve never experienced any over heating whilst grinding away in the low rpms, so I wouldnā€™t worry with the improved H2.

Reference the fly wheel spinning out at the end of a sprint/high wattage interval. Others have solutions by switching to resistance mode, it youā€™re stopping in ERG mode like myself I have got to the point of knowing when the resistance drops and just before that point I stop my efforts on the pedals, as you get used to your trainer and its little Intricacies you do adapt. Iā€™ve yet to find a workout I canā€™t perform well in ERG mode.

Can see myself buying another Hammer when that time comes around again. This is one solid dependable unit, might require a belt change in the future but fingers crossed itā€™ll last until the H3 or H4 comes out!

1 Like

Thank you very much for your lengthy and detailed response. As Iā€™m still recovering from surgery I should be taking it easy on the sprints anyways. Iā€™ll pay more attention and learn how to use it properly. Iā€™m really happy with it so far. It is a little noisier than the core but then the core only really lasted 3 weeks lol.

1 Like