I'm sick all the time! 10 courses of antibiotics in the last 15 months. Please help!

Would be helpful to see the rest of your labs if possible. Would like to see your full CBC with differential, CMP with protein + albumin, INR as a start. It is possible that people have normal hemolysis and proteinuria after a workout, but the fact that you actually physically become jaundiced concerns me. We would need a fractionated billirubin to determine if the billirubin is caused by a liver problem or a blood problem. G6PD is not likely because of your ethnicity.

I would assume you have received your pneumococcal vaccinations in an atypical schedule given that you have objective evidence of the deficiency in the various pneumococcal strains. Make sure you get these if you haven’t.

Also, when you get your superimposed sinusitis do you end up with fever and tenderness over the sinus or is it just sinus congestion?

I would recommend staying away from neti pots or only using sterilized water by boiling or sterile normal saline.

In summary with all the information provided IgG3 is a plausible and most likely diagnosis, but I would also like to see your liver function, kidney function, and the rest of your hematologic workup because of your mild neutropenia + leukopenia, and billirubinemia in times of stress. Make sure you get your pneumococcal vaccinations.

BA - Medical Resident

2 Likes

Hi @Nate,
You’ve got a ton of advice here and I understand that I am just N=1, however, that being said, you’re looking for all the advice you can get so here are my thoughts. First of all, I struggled with sinus infections 4-5 years ago and went through a few rounds of antibiotics to get rid of them. I would also consider myself one of those people with a weak immune system who gets colds easily. I’ve since been using the NeilMed Sinus Rinse since then fairly regularly. I would sometimes get lazy and not do it for a few months but as soon as winter (I’m Canadian) rolled around I would eventually end up with sinus trouble again. So, I went to my Dr this past summer (as I was even having troubles in the summer, I also have allergies that act up in the Spring and early summer that make matters worse) and she (also an endurance athlete) has suggested that I rinse 2x per day (every time I brush my teeth) all year round as she noticed I have inflammation in my nasal passages. I talked with her about the sinus drainage hole surgery but she recommended against it as it’s often not effective as the real problem is inflammation. The hole is so tiny that often any level of inflammation will render it useless.
So, I can say that since starting to use the rinse years ago I have not had to take antibiotics since then as the saline rinse is good enough to get rid of the infection on its own. Since the summer and starting to rinse every day, I have had a cold but it simply ran its course, no sinus infection that I know of. I did have a sinus headache for one day but it was quickly gone the next and the rinse was clearing out the cold for a day after. A few other notes, I recently started some serious nutrient timing, ie, high protein breakfast, and only eating “fast carb” after hard workouts, otherwise, it’s all slow carbs from black beans and lentils, no bread or potatoes. The funny (n=1) thing I noticed was that even with the sinus rinse before starting the nutrient timing I had this lingering cold all through CX season (I live for CX season) but right after I started this eating pattern was right when this cold cleared up and out, ie green stuff! So, I wondered if something in what I was eating previously was contributing to the inflammation.
So, this leads to something I have yet to investigate, which is allergies. In my case, and possibly yours, perhaps there is an allergic reaction happening that is causing the inflammation? So, to summarize, my advice would be the following:

1. stop taking antibiotics, full stop, regardless of sinus infection or not, they’re killing your immune system!! They have their place for acute issues, but 10 rounds!!! OMG!
  2. commit to the full sinus rinse (as above) and ditch the neti pot
  3. experiment with cutting down on (or cutting out) bread and other “fast carbs” and reserve them only for when really needed, great side-effect is that this will also help lose fat, I’m already down 5 lbs in 2 weeks.
  4. investigate the possibility that you could be suffering an allergic reaction causing sinus inflammation and subsequent blockage.

I sincerely hope you find the answer to these problems! Best of luck!
Tim

3 Likes

Meditation

1 Like

I have a tendency to get a sore throat the day after my workout involves some intensity.
Cue negative thought pattern about getting I’ll, cue cortisol.
By reframing it - oh that’s my body responding to the adaptions I’ve asked from it. That’s an important part of the process. This is a great opportunity to maximise adaptions. I get to interrupt the “cortical cycle” I’ve started creating for myself.
Your sickness obviously has a physical basis. Just that our minds act as a cortisol dial which affects immune response.
The effects of mindset and even meditation are pretty mainstream and have a scientific evidence base.
Just a thought Nate

1 Like

I was wrong
Well, obviously being stressed about injuries increases cortisol. But it’s not wise to reframe messages from the body that something is wrong as a way to push through it.
A good lesson for me to learn

Nate, have you ever had a root canal or have any bad or cracked teeth?

1 Like

@Nate_Pearson I’m stumbled over a book called “What doesn’t Kill Us” a few years ago and discovered something called the “Wim Hof” method. The method is basically to put the body outside of it’s comfort zone by doing breathing exercises and cold water exposure.

I started doing the exercises (breathing and somewhat cold showers) everyday almost a year ago and I haven’t gotten sick since (I usually get sick when Norway goes into the winter cold, but still nothing).

By all means, this might be the cause of being on a better diet for the past year or even the placebo effect by just thinking that it works.

How-to listed near the bottom of this page Wim Hof website
Takes you under 10minutes each day.

I’ve had recurring low level dental infections, I think people underestimate the drain on your body and immune system because “it’s just your teeth”.

2 Likes

Agreed. With out opening a giant can of worms, an infection in the upper jaw is directly connected to the sinuses. May not even be a sinus infection. just shooting in the dark here but could be something simple that is easily overlooked.

1 Like

No, just my wisdom teeth out. I recently had xrays of all my teeth and there were no infections.

1 Like

Comment on your allergies. I had allergies as a kid, primarily tree (maple/oak) and grass pollen. i was sick a lot, missing (as I recall) 60 days of first grade. I suffered through this for years. Out of college, I moved to Florida from Michigan in 1983 and was not allergic to ANYTHING! I moved back up to Indiana in 1986 and hit a day in June where my nose started running and NOTHING worked! I spent a weekend with Kleenex stuffed up my nose and throwing it away when it was saturated. I saw an allergist and had the back scratches. The nurse told me to not be disappointed if there were no reactions as the doses were 1/50th strength and were just to see what i was really allergic to. Well, I sat in the room by myself and my back started to itch. I then started sweating and noticed the red creeping over my shoulder and under my arms. When the nurse came back in, she freaked out and ran for the doctor. They sprayed Benadryl on my back and gave me a shot of epinephrine. Doc said I was a sensitive guy.

He told me that with my reactions, the shots I took as a kid would have been a waste of time. I got special time-released serum and started getting shots once a week and later once every two weeks. I got this tiny bottle that looked to be filled with pond scum. My dose was 0.05 cc. The day after my shot, the injection site would literally swell out about 1/2 or more inches. The vial of serum was tiny and the nurse at work allowed me to go up to 6 months beyond the expiration date (insurance would not cover the full cost of the serum) and about a 3rd of the bottle was still left. The impact? I was 100% symptom free almost immediately. I took that shots probably for 10-15 years and then stopped. It is now 15 years after stopping the shots and symptoms have come back a little, but over the counter stuff works fine for my symptoms when I get them. I don’t know where he got the serum, but I suspect there is something like it still around. I recall on one of your podcasts that you had quite a reaction to the back scratch test.

Hope this is of use.

This is a very long thread, so apologies if someone already raised this point, but have you ever been tested for food allergies? My wife has all kinds of allergies and for the longest time thought she was getting sick because of the environmental ones (mountain cedar, for ex., is one of her worst). I forget the sequence of events, but she finally realized she was getting sick (usually congestion that got worse and worse and eventually turned into bronchitis) from the food she was eating. After some doctor visits and tests she came to realize she’s allergic to wheat, corn, rice, and soy. Good luck finding anything that doesn’t contain one of those!

Anyway, long story short, once she radically changed her diet to avoid those four things her health vastly improved.

Wow nick, you are more sensitive than I am! I joke with my wife that I have no allergies in Hawaii, so we should just move there.

I’m still trying to get through the green bottle of allergy shots, I’ve had a rash break out when I was at the very end of it. I am looking forward to a day with less allergies and I’m sure it’s related to everything else.

Yes I have. I’m not allergic to any food, but I am lactose intolerant. I’ve stopped dairy completely for the past 6 weeks or so to see if that helps.

Nate, have you had your blood tested for eosiniphils? They’re part of your immune system that fight parasitic infections but, for some people, they can actually attack your airway, when you get sick. In other words, getting sick makes you sicker.

I’m also an asthma / allergy sufferer, and I’m sick basically from November through March. You’re worse off than me, since I’m on my second course of antibiotics and third course of prednisone, but what made it better, for me, was an injection called Fasenra.

Fasenra is a genetically engineered drug that binds to your eosiniphils and causes your white blood cells to attack them, like any other invader. This can reduce your reaction to getting sick. Yeah, you lose resistance to parasites – try to avoid drinking water in tropical countries, and stuff. (I don’t work for Astra-Zeneca, I swear, I just read the whitepaper.)

It hasn’t been a miracle cure, by any means, but, unlike last winter and three weeks in November (where I couldn’t ride at all), I’ve been able to stick to my training plan, this year! I can breathe, I’m not getting lung or sinus infections, and I’ve been making slow progress.

Ask your pulmonologist to check your blood test for your eosiniphil count. There are other injections that are not normal immunotherapy (allergy shots) which can help. I actually had to stop getting allergy shots after years of taking them, because my body was becoming more and more sensitive, and they were helping less and less.

I’ve also resigned myself to living on a raft of medicines: this winter, it’s been twice-daily maximum strength Mucinex (the brand name stuff, the generics make me loopy) to thin out the stuff in my lungs and cough it up before it gets infected. Prednisone also does wonders for me – if there weren’t problems with long term usage, I’d be on the stuff the whole winter. The neti pot (using distilled / boiled water!) twice a day also helps.

Lastly, there’s the trusty ole’ nebulizer, which I do two or three times a day, using albuterol drops, budesonide to reduce inflammation, cromolyn sodium to stabilize my lungs, and ipatropium bromide to control cough. After that it’s a couple of puffs of symbicort and a puff of spiriva. I actually just took two puffs of normal albuterol while typing this, as my lungs were feeling kind of tight.

Again – this is not a miracle cure. I will never have lungs that feel good, year round. What this has allowed me to do is to actually build fitness – Strava says my fitness is better in February than it was this time last year. I don’t want to sleep, all the time, I have enough energy to work / take care of my family and then get on the trainer in the evening. This, alone, is worth celebrating.

I hope things get better, man. I’ve been right where you are (though, admittedly, not quite as bad) and there is still hope, out there. If your doctor suggests trying Fasenra, and you can’t afford it, they do have a copay assistance program, and you can always ask for goodwill assistance.

Good luck, Nate. Keep us posted.

Thanks for this, we did check for EOS and I am normal. I’m going to the Mayo Clinic in 3 weeks, we’ll see what those people say.

Ive had a lot of sinus infections during the years. My best tips below.

Rinse with a neti pot. Or one of these syringes with a soft tip. 1/2 liter bodytemperature water and 1 teaspoon salt (any salt). Morning and evening.

Get a good nasal spray, i started with mometasone and now i am on something called dymista. I spray all year long but decrease when i feel better. There are prescription so talk to your doctor if they are right for you.

There is a natural supplement called sinupret that has good effect on me. There has been studies showing effect.

Thanks for this. I do rinses every day, but I’ve now added antibiotics to the rinse when I have a cold.

I just started this and I haven’t gotten an infection yet from my cold last week. That’s the first time in years! :crossed_fingers:

anyone else wondering how many folks at Mayo are TR users?

I have been taking glutamine whilst sick, my typical routine is to supplement Vitamin C, Zinc and Glutamine whilst poorly. I am not sure I can vouch for glutamines effectiveness as I am fairly hardy where illness is concerned.

WedMd states “Glutamine might help gut function, the immune system, and other essential processes in the body, especially in times of stress”.

GLUTAMINE: Overview, Uses, Side Effects, Precautions, Interactions, Dosing and Reviews

1 Like