Inside Ride Kickr E-Flex Trainer Motion System

DC Rainmaker: (Sep 25, 2019)

Early version info from TR member:

First look at the pending motion platform from Inside Ride, for the Kickr in this case.

• Hard to tell, but it looks to include Fore-Aft motion as well as rocking motion.
  • The front is based on the same design as their Floating Fork Stand that allows the fork to turn. This causes the bike to lean.
  • Notable is the Kickr mount with legs collapsed inside. I considered this in an effort to keep the stack height of rocker plates lower, because you can get more lean angle with less height.

I will update once we have more product info and/or reviews.

8 Likes

Really clever.

very interested

I donā€™t think there is a fore aft movement at least per early prototype I saw. This looks much nicer and polished.

1 Like

I may well be being wrong.

• However, considering that the fore-aft movement is their patented aspect and primary selling point of their rollers, I would be surprised if they donā€™t include F-A motion in this product.

Here is what I saw that made me think fore-aft:

• The horizontal redline is around what looks like a slot to me. This seems to parallel the design on their rollers with the internal roller wheels for the F-A motion.
  • The diagonal redline is around something that looks like a cable or maybe elastic tension member. It only goes one direction rather than having 2 side for an ā€˜Xā€™. Iā€™m not really sure that this is other than maybe the tension method for re-centering the upper stand, if it floats F-A.
  • I canā€™t really tell much from the Kickr mount end other than the collapsed legs.

It looks like a pivot point with some dampers to inhibit the rebound

(although the sliding makes more sense, since the top part is parallel) to the base.

1 Like

Hmmā€¦ you are correct. Thatā€™s going to be an interesting piece of equipment. Will find out more hopefully soon.

1 Like

Looking at this I start thinking it would be nice if they made one for the Kickr COREā€¦could design it so the IR frame uses the same attachment points as the 2 bars on on the feet to make the stance narrower - just take those bars off and attach it to the frameā€¦then they could sell this system with a lower overall price point (when you include trainer cost).

1 Like

Yes, I considered removing the actual legs from my Kickr and using the open holes for a rocker plate. The reason I skipped that is because I wanted the option to easily move the system by disassembling it quickly. I use nylon straps and buckles that are quick to switch.

A bolted connection is not as much of a problem if you have the space for a dedicated setup that stays in place all the time.

Awesome. Iā€™d at least have expected a video or something showing it working, or how they believe itā€™ll work. That has our attention. Just as IQSquared did before it turned into frustration.

2 Likes

Another teaser.

Getting some time to analyze the larger pic of the E-Flex:

1. I see what appears to be the rocking pivot (responsible roll axis lean) at the underside of the middle Kickr leg, just forward of the middle support cross member.

2. I also see what looks like a diagonally mounted, and double loop surgical tubing. I predict this is the centering spring from the fore-aft motion. There is a similar diagonal visible at the front support (what would be the rear section of the right side (riderā€™s perspective.

3. You can see some slotting around the tubing mount. I think this is clearance to keep the tubing from hitting the metal frame during fore-aft movement.

FYI I asked on their FB page - not compatible with the KICKR Core.

1 Like

At $400, this stands to be a potentially big seller. I am interested in the direct link between rocking and steering. Some parts I like and others I donā€™t

Either way, this is WAY more likely to see sales, even if itā€™s ā€œrestrictedā€ to Kickrsā€¦ which make up a higher chunk of the smart trainer market.

These look very tempting. I have their rollers with ERG and love them for everything up to around vo2 efforts. I may be buying a kickr and these now :slight_smile: The movement is the big reason I ride the rollers, but it limits my ability to do other things while riding along :slight_smile:

1 Like

These are tempting. Iā€™ve got their rollers with the smart resistance unit, and have been thinking about getting a smart trainer as well (the smart resistance unit isnā€™t quite as good as Iā€™d like for short, high amplitude intervals). Iā€™d been pretty set on a Neo 2 or 2T, but this looks pretty good, and I think cost would come out close to neutral (this would definitely be cheaper if I could pick up a used KICKR).

1 Like

This may be a dumb question, but is there any worry about having the flywheel of the kickr moving around at different angles? Like could it cause an imbalance over time?

I donā€™t think so. These rocking platforms have been around now for few years. I think we wouldā€™ve seen someone bring this up. Also, maybe not related but I tested the KICKR with other rockers to see if the rocking motion have any effect on power measurement and didnā€™t see any.

2 Likes

No issues for me after many years of use. The max lean angle is 7* per side, and most often between 4* or less. It is a tiny amount of movement and super smooth transition. I see now reason why that would ever cause an issue.

1 Like

Pulled the trigger on a new Kickr yesterday, and will be in line for one of these when it comes outā€¦so I guess Iā€™ll be among the early adopters to provide a review.

1 Like