Interesting VO2Max results after SSBMV1

I started TrainerRoad for the first time around 6 weeks ago and commenced SSBMV1 after completing the ramp test. I wasn’t particularly happy with my ramp test results so I did it twice and scored relatively the same value so figured it must have been about right. I have been enjoying the workouts and some of them have been hard but doable, I am into the last week and it has been a enjoyable experience. I will move onto SSBMV2 next week and the ramp test will highlight whether I have improved in terms of FTP or not but interestingly I have done a few rides outside and my VO2Max value on my garmin has gone from 59 to last night 65! Over the past 2 years this has not moved much at all, it has been 59 or 60 consistently. I found this really interesting. I know that this is estimated and you should take the value with a grain of salt coming from Garmin device but for me its the history and the recent large change from not moving the dial at all for the past 24 months. Not really knowing what this measure actually means, can someone help fill me in? I assume that this is a good thing and that TR is improving my fitness…:smiley:

Thanks Chad - maybe I should search the actual website first, but thankyou for the information :blush: I guess my surprise comes from the fact that the workouts in SSBMV1 arent at VO2Max but this is where I have seen the improvement. Appreciate the information - very informative and helpful and helps me understand the concept alot better.

1 Like

It’s important to know that training in particular zones will have impact on other training zones. It’s far from one dimensional.

3 Likes

Wow, dat SS.

1 Like

That is so helpful and very interesting! Clearly illustrates why the TR team bang on about the importance of the base plans.

1 Like

Note that Garmin’s VO2Max estimate comes from comparing your power output to your HR (as a % of maxHR). If through consistent structured training you have lowered your HR at a given power level, then the Garmin/Firstbeat VO2Max predictor will improve, even if you haven’t yet reached the VO2Max parts of the training plan.

However, if you are using HRMax Autodetect on your Garmin, and it has found a new maximum recently, then your VO2Max estimate will increase, even if power output and HR are unchanged. eg. if you were doing sweet spot work at 160 bpm with a previous maxHR of 188 (=85%), but a new maxHR of 195 means the same sweet spot at 160 bpm is now only 82% of maxHR.

Also, VO2Max is expressed as liters of oxygen per minute per kg of bodyweight. If you have lost weight, the VO2Max number will improve, even if actual oxygen uptake is unchanged.

4 Likes