IQ2 Power Meter

I’m assuming that moving a component to accommodate the molding process they mentioned in the Jan 9 update/delay wasn’t adequately validated and caused an issue in timing, latency, or interference that they didn’t discover until they got the first production units. They’ve been trying software workarounds but haven’t been able to do it so it’s another component placement.

On the bright side, they are still trying to fix the product and get it released, instead of just taking the money and flying to the caribean.

1 Like

I spoke with a guy on the phone from IQ2 in March. I asked, “What are the accuracy numbers?” He said, “1%.” Based on that information, I took the chance and ordered a unit. It appears that I am out a couple of hundred Euros.

I knew that any pre 1.0 release on a tech startup is a risk. What I don’t know is whether the person I talked to knew that what he was saying was not true.

Its mid April. Anyone get their meter yet?

Last update was they finally found the source of an issue they found in their first production units. Apparently it will have a significant impact which they haven’t shared yet, but it is easy to read that it will cause a proportionately significant delay in getting them out.

Thanks. I am interpreting that as next season🙄…

Have a feeling that your all’s money is on the beach in Mexico.

3 Likes

The number of cases of outright fraud in crowdfunding has been pretty low. They usually just run out of money and ideas. It’s not like there isn’t precedence for failed power meter development efforts.

1 Like

I think these guys being experienced production engineers believed that they had it all figured out and then ran into design to production issues that plague almost all electronics projects and now are forced to eat crow over it.

Hubris is endemic among engineers.

1 Like

The big update is out. Complete new design in a Look Keo pedal based power meter rather than an insert. Update is too big to repost here but here’s the link.

Short version is that the tension due to the threaded insert was not consistent enough to produce reliable strain readings and therefore power readings. There was no deterministic way to offset this so a redesign was necessary. Good news is that the “guts” remain the same, it’s the “package” they had to redesign.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1468298434/cycling-power-meter-at-a-breakthrough-price/posts/2497647?fbclid=IwAR0Ag_JX3lnC0Qq8gIDIVMTlj_2GBPIauh0BdgfO7GeXHELovGxEe5OlqZM

4 Likes

Not just a Look based pedal, they have a MTB design too (according to Shane’s latest video). I’d certainly consider it for CX racing if it holds up

2 Likes

I am not sure how I feel about switching pedals. I am fairly invested in SPD-SLs and like others, though this was an ideal way to use existing pedal platform across a few bikes. On the other hand, I wasn’t sure that having a reduced axle size threaded into the crankarm was as solid an interface. Anyways, looks like I will be riding without a power meter for most of the season but get new pedals for training season.

1 Like

I’m so glad I didn’t go for an IQ2 as pedal based power meters are of no interest to me. I’m glad I went for a 3rd gen stages.

1 Like

Was there a mention of expected shipment date (yes I realize that’s a sensitive subject haha)

One of my uses for it are a track bike so short of sending my track cranks to Stages or uber-expensive SRM track cranks, I’m OK with a pedal based solution to be able to use between 2 or 3 bikes. I would have to spend a lot more to be able to do anything for my 3 bikes.

1 Like

August now. So with a grain of salt that means September-October by the time they get through delays and to the high backer numbers.

With any luck however, they can tap into some expertise at Look and avoid more delays. I am guessing that Look is a willing partner to get more units out there and take a bite out of Shimano’s market share.

2 Likes

2 Likes

That’s actually faster than I expected.
Given your background in product development, do you think they had these pedals already planned and now had to speed the plans up or was the original plan so flexible in terms of technology and materials to switch to pedals?

Sounds like it could be a cool product when it comes to market!