IQ2 Power Meter

March and still no word…

Can someone please clarify to me how Kickstarter works? How long do the creators have to fulfill to the folk who have pledged, what happens if they just stop responding and don’t update? Is it the norm to have the project sell items before they have sent products to early backers? At first I was just following this coz I like a car crash but now I really am interested as to how it works if the product never actually happens

That’s pretty much it. A good summary of a failed project was the Zano drone. Note how liquidators do not treat Kickstarter investors as creditors i.e. unless you have local protection (e.g. UK credit card laws), you lose everything.

It’s always fascinating to see these develop. FWIW, I don’t think IQ2 is dead yet, I just think they are in panic mode. Something isn’t working as expected and they are trying to work out how to fix it with whatever available funds they have (probably not a lot). Communications going quiet is never a good sign though.

Usually for sports tech…

Step 1. Hype. Promo. More HYPE.
Step 2. PROFIT
Step 3.

6 Likes

@GPLama

I’m guessing you’ve not had one for review?

Negative. They haven’t asked for my postal address either… so… I’m either on their shitlist (entirely possible)… or they’re not ready (also entirely possible).

1 Like

I’m sure you’re not on any shitlists😉

1 Like

Apart from maybe YT ? :wink:

1 Like

Don’t be silly he’s only on Pelican’s shit list

Posted by a KickStarter user:

We have not started our shipments yet. We apologise for this but we underestimated the amount of time it takes to get all production partners working together in a timely and smooth manner. The good news is that we are still sticking to our goal, which is to produce a power meter that works as it is expected thus necessary tests are still performed to prevent delivering a half-baked product.

As of now, we do not have the specifics yet of the deliveries including the batch list as we are pouring our focus on final tests making sure that everything works perfectly and as expected since we are determined to bring out a quality product for everyone. An official statement that will detail our shipments will be released soon.

We appreciate your utmost patience.

The first production batch did not perform as designed?

Good question. Might be the first time through the entire process start to finish including the casing and they are doing their last rigorous testing. I believe they aren’t field serviceable and they don’t have the means to fix any serious issues once they hit the field other than replacement

1 Like

People have been surprisingly optimistic this will be a functional device. Several times we have seen power meters fail in KS/IGG. This is immensly difficult to produce especially at the price points these are offered at.

Any KS/IGG product should always have 1-2 years added to the timeline.

I do think they will ship a product within a year or so. If they can have data within 5% accurate I’ll be very impressed.

… i work for a company that has a about 10 different PMOs and an to reign them in, an EPMO…there’s still slippage that happens all the time. Even if you have ‘realistic’ dates, life always finds a way to make shit hit the fan when you least expect it.

At least this is not a case of the Skully :slight_smile:

Still no update :lying_face:

Maybe a quick review of IQ2’s obligations under their kickstarter terms of service are in order:

If a creator is unable to complete their project and fulfill rewards, they’ve failed to live up to the basic obligations of this agreement. To right this, they must make every reasonable effort to find another way of bringing the project to the best possible conclusion for backers. A creator in this position has only remedied the situation and met their obligations to backers if:

• they post an update that explains what work has been done, how funds were used, and what prevents them from finishing the project as planned;
  • they work diligently and in good faith to bring the project to the best possible conclusion in a timeframe that’s communicated to backers;
  • they’re able to demonstrate that they’ve used funds appropriately and made every reasonable effort to complete the project as promised;
  • they’ve been honest, and have made no material misrepresentations in their communication to backers; and
  • they offer to return any remaining funds to backers who have not received their reward (in proportion to the amounts pledged), or else explain how those funds will be used to complete the project in some alternate form.

The creator is solely responsible for fulfilling the promises made in their project. If they’re unable to satisfy the terms of this agreement, they may be subject to legal action by backers.

Actually I found throughout my career in tech dvlpt that the more PMO a company has, the more timelines slip. The only difference is that you see the slippage coming.

2 Likes

Posted over at IndieGoGo someone finally got a response:

“Currently, we do not have the exact dates yet of the deliveries by batch and the customers included in each batch. An official statement will be released soon about the pending deliveries.
Our Engineers are done doing the final test. We are doing this so that you will have the best quality power meter. We do not want to release a buggy power meter.”

Believe it when I see the box on the front porch. More empty words.

1 Like

People don’t mind waiting, but people dislike the lack of updates. Its not hard to work out

1 Like

They either need to listen to their marketing manager or fire him/her. I can’t see how this won’t hurt their reputation going forward. Nearly everyone who has an interest in power meters has heard of this.

2 Likes