I’m very happy to have finished at all, but naturally I’m wondering what I could have done better after a disastrous bike split.
I planned my effort on BestBikeSplit as below, an IF of 0.66 got me the optimum time for a reasonable cost in TSS.
6.5hrs looked a little optimistic to me.
The BestBikeSplit power file failed to give me target power after 8 minutes racing, so I was winging it based on my reading the crib sheet a few days before. I knew my rough targets for flats, in lines, climbs and descents.
The wind was much harder than predicted, I did a lot of climbing in aero position and generally felt good until I passed the 60km in 3 hours! This was 45mins late on my target. I stopped, thought there was a slight brake rub, corrected the brake and continued wondering what the hell had happened and when I would finish.
With 20km left to go of the 180, I caught a puncture and snapped the valve attaching the co2 canister. Realising I’d destroyed any chance of repair I sat on the roadside wondering how to get back to the hotel. Luckily, eventually, the course mechanics came and got me back on the road. I was over the moon but tried to keep my effort down so I didn’t ruin this second chance.
I felt good off the bike and started the run well. No aches, feeling well fed/hydrated.
Even knowing my problems I was shocked to find that my bike split was 8h56. Even with moving time only, it was still 8h16.
I took the powerfile put it back into BBS for analysis, it reckoned I had only put in an IF of 0.62. So maybe I just didn’t push hard enough…except that I put this back into BBS and updated the weather data…it still thought I should get 6h55 for that effort.
So I’ve looked at in TR as below. I’m still not sure what I did wrong.
Split into roughly 3x 60km sections