Is there a way to see your calibration history?

So I use a Wahoo KICKR17 which doesn’t really need calibrated frequently but since winter has set in and my basement has cooled a bit I did a calibration last night. I’m wondering how it compares to previous calibrations. Is there any way within the software or in my history that I can find that info?

No, there is not current way to get this data in TR.

Where’s the downvote button?

Ok so until TR adds this it sounds like I’ve got to track this manually. Meh…isn’t this the 21st century?

What do you plan to do with these previous calibration numbers? I don’t understand how this info could be useful in any manner other than pure curiosity and that you like tracking any and all numbers, lol.

One option, I can change this to the TR Software category and a Feature Request tag, and try to get the TR folks to see it and add it to their wish list.

It can be helpful to see if and when problems with the power device begin to occur. You may be able to identify when power data should be questioned and look into calibration and zero offset practices, to make sure you are getting “good” data.

2 Likes

Huh :thinking: Maybe I need to start tacking as well!

A) Yeah I’m a numbers junkie
B) What Chad said. Potential to know if something is wrong with my equipment
C) Calibration came up in another thread I made about failing a few workouts in a row. Currently I’d be interested to know if the calibration changed enough to impact my workouts in a significant way.

1 Like

I take screenshots of my phone, but the Kickr uses an optical sensor for estimating power and it doesn’t seem like there is anything to track… Wahoo app:
IMG_1966

TR app:

You might want to call Wahoo support and ask them if changes in spindown time reveal any issues with the optical sensor. Or you might want to periodically clean out the dust, something else worth asking Wahoo. The only reason I know it uses an optical sensor is that I had some weird power fluctuations during erg mode, and Wahoo asked if my Kickr was located somewhere with shifting sunlight or shadows.

My Stages power meter zero reset procedure provides numbers worth tracking (as documented in a Support support article).

I calibrated in the TR software and it gave much different info to what you’re showing there. It had an offset number a spindown time and one other number. I’ll do another one tonight and grab a screenshot.

The screenshot above was from August.

Here is one from September:
IMG_1760

Wahoo recommends using Wahoo app for spindown, and that app doesn’t provide an offset. Without contacting Wahoo support, I’m unclear if the offset means anything. And then there is the whole optical sensor thing. Wahoo power estimation via optical sensor depends on no interference from dust or sunlight. Wahoo is not using a strain gauge where calibration numbers mean something. A call to Wahoo would help clarify things…

Right that’s what I saw last night…temp is the other number.

Ok so everything I’ve heard is that the KICKR17 is very accurate in terms of power and it’s what I’ve used for over a year now. Over the summer I got a set of PowerTap P1s (the full dual sided version)…would I be better off moving those to my trainer bike and using power match? I know it would be better for apples to apples if I did outdoor training but the truth is I don’t. I use them for pacing and accurate caloric burn when riding outdoors. Really I’d rather not swap them from bike to bike, though that is an advantage of pedal based power meters.

I have a Kickr 17 and have seen some wacky numbers relative to my Stages PM - sometimes it matches, sometimes not, and sometimes it will vary from -10W to +10W. So I wouldn’t call the Kickr’s optical power estimator reliable or consistent, and I’m not planning on cleaning dust from the optical sensor.

As a result of my testing, I called Wahoo support a couple weeks ago to discuss. The guy I spoke with recommended doing a spindown every workout. So I’m not so sure about accuracy if you follow the “spindown every two weeks” on Wahoo support site. But maybe its a result of having my Kickr in the garage, and its collecting dust or dog hair and that is root cause of accuracy issues I’m seeing. If true, its not a “set it up and forget it” source of power. And it won’t match any power meter on your bike.

My recommendation - use TR power match and then outside and inside rides will be using the same power meter.

Finally, based on my testing the Wahoo “control with ANT+” should not be used as it is not reliable. I’ve posted some wacky results on another thread. Again that might be because of optical sensor interference, but I’m just going to use TR’s power match going forward.

Interesting feedback thanks. I’ve always heard that Stages were often off, typically high, but IMO it doesn’t really matter the number as long as it’s consistent for your training.

I do not have pets and my KICKR is in my basement which I’d like to pretend is sort of clean…but there could be dust there too.

I won’t be riding outdoors any time soon so I suppose it won’t hurt anything to move my pedals over to the trainer and see how things line up.

Haven’t heard that, and DCRainmaker testing shows they are accurate. My calibration numbers are super stable.

If you have the option to use a powermeter, I’d always go for that.

Actually there is a way to view your calibration history, at least on Windows an probably also on Mac OS.

Using ‘DB Browser for SQLite’ you can open the local database. On windows this database is located in:
C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\TrainerRoadData\Desktop\Stable\container.sqlite

After opening this database file, right click on the table ‘Calibration’ and select ‘Browse Table’. After which you’ll get a table including the zero-offset value.

SQL Lite browser: https://sqlitebrowser.org/

1 Like