Kefir - any thoughts/experience

I love it, used to get indigestion a lot and now I donā€™t. Not sure about the other health benefits but I rarely get ill since I started drinking it but that could be just coincidence

1 Like

I used it as part of my regular breakfast for a few years alongside greek yogurt. Now Iā€™m just using greek yogurt and whole milk in my overnight oats. I didnā€™t notice much difference in anything, TBH.

1 Like

Thereā€™s at least some evidence that probiotics do nothing to change gut bacteria in people who are already healthy. The studies that tested it seem to show that the ā€˜newā€™ bacteria introduced by probiotics just pass through you and make no difference to your overall GI health.

That said, if you donā€™t have a healthy GI system it could be that probiotics can help normalize and re-populate your gut with ā€œgoodā€ bacteria. Anecdotally, Iā€™ve had good luck using kefir it when Iā€™m getting over a bad GI infection that has left things generally ā€œoffā€. It seems to reset my system. My pet theory is that a bad GI infection leaves my gut bacteria a mess and this helps repopulate things. Again, totally anecdotal though!

1 Like

Iā€™ve used it for many years as a smoothie base. Iā€™m not sure what it does or doesnā€™t do, but it is easy to pour and is a tastier base than milk or water. My morning smoothies are usually kefir (whatever flavor is on sale), ice, spinach, carrots, pineapple, and an occasional scoop of whey concentrate. I buy the kefir at Aldi, Kroger, or Meijer and havenā€™t looked for anything more expensive/exotic.

1 Like

Donā€™t have any experience in Kefir but I always have a special sort of yoghurt/cottage cheese-blend thatā€™s available in Sweden. Really awesome stuff loaded with protein but is low in carbs and fat so itā€™s easy to blend in some home made granola or rolled oats and some raisins or dates if one cares to up the carbs.

Per 100g: Energy: 300 kJ, Energy(kcal): 70 kcal, Fat: 0,8 g, Sat. fat: 0,4 g, Carbohydrates: 3 g, Sugars: 2,8 g, Protein: 8 g, Salt: 0,1 g, Vitamin D: 0,75 Āµg

1 Like

I like drink kefir with sugarā€¦ of course better will be without sugarā€¦ but i canā€™t(((
Kefir is very healthy! I remember my mom was on a diet - one day per week drink only kefir, and not eat anythingā€¦ Itā€™s hard, but cleaning all body.
I like to drink sometimes Sesame seeds with milk and honey

Iā€™ve been on Goatā€™s Kefir for a while and itā€™s worked wonders for gut health and digestion.

Good old Skyr, right? I love it, it is tasty, nearly no carbs and you can blend it with any flavour you`d like. Spicy, salty or sweet with fruits. Skyr is really flexible. 3-4 times a week it is my dinner before night

Nope itā€™s yoghurtkvarg. :slight_smile:

1 Like