Kickr Core or Kickr 2018?

Stickers are one very small issue.

Tickrs or Clickrs as I call them, are mostly Kickr 18 models (but a few Core models) that have something built wrong I side. After a few rides, something comes loose or changes inside and they start clicking during pedaling.

Seems they have a fix and it’s not all trainers either. But there are some problems with part of the production run.

1 Like

I have the Kickr 2017. It’s an awesome trainer.

From what I’ve seen and read, it seems awfully hard to argue against the Core over the 2018 model - particularly when I’ve seen enough people writing about issues with the 2018 model that I personally would probably wait for the initial problems to be worked out before buying the 2018 model in any event.

The main drawback with the Core is you need to buy and install your own cassette. Cost not a major issue, but installation can be a PITA unless you have the right tools around - although your LBS may be able to help.

1 Like

Yes, but I think your Quarq will be a much more accurate PM and if you keep it on your bike you’ll have comparable power inside and outside. If you’re looking at a multi-bike setup, perhaps even with a dedicated trainer bike, you can absolutely use the power reading from the Kickr Core.

1 Like

I can’t believe the Core doesn’t do cadence. Seems like a massive oversight.

None of the Wahoo trainers do integrated cadence. They all require an external sensor.

1 Like

Above it says the kicker does cadence?

I have a Neo, so not sure.

(Correction - just looked. New Kickr does cadence)

DCRainmaker review:

Kickr does not have cadence, they put a cadence sensor in the box and you put it on crank arm to get cadence.

My Stages PM transmits cadence, so I didn’t install the cadence sensor that came with Kickr 2017.

1 Like

The Kickr (full model) has included an external RPM cadence sensor since the 2016 model.

They never do the internal (like CycleOps or Tacx). The internal is nice in a way, but never accurate in the cadence change situations. Most people don’t care, but it’s a notable difference doe some.

1 Like

Is there a justification to prefer the Kickr 2018 over the Core at a price difference like 400€?
I need a new Trainer but the Core is nowhere in stock.

Maybe the Tacx Neo (1049€) could be the right thing to choose?

I’d use it with my Assioma PM pedals.

I just bought a Kickr 2018 after using a gen 1 Kickr for 4 years.
It is unbelievably quiet and easy to set up.

I could have saved the money but I decided that £1k for aprobable 4 year usage and to still have a good resale value was not unreasonable. I also needed a 11 speed cassette and I will sell the cadence sensor as I use power tap P1 pedals for power measurement

As I understand it the NEO is self-calibrating, whereas ALL the KICKRs need to be calibrated regularly - Wahoo advise daily for optimisation, TRd also suggest before each workout - not so with the Neo. I don’t have a PM so I don’t know if that would relevent, but could be an advantage to consider if so.

If you really want the Kickr 2018, get the Kickr 2018.

Too many times i’ve gone for the cheaper option and it turns out that deep down i really wanted the more expensive version, to which i’ve ended up buying it later on down the line anyway!

Ps, for the Kickr Cadence sensor… Don’t do what i did and think it’s a piece of rubbish as it’s jumping all over the place, saying i’m doing 140rpm when i’m doing about 70 in reality - Make sure you update the firmware on it and it’ll sort all the problems!

1 Like

Not true. Wahoo recommends a calibration for the wheel-off Kickrs once every couple of weeks, or if you remove and reinstall the bike. It holds calibration well when the bike stays on.

They recommend a calibration for the Wheel-on Snap at every ride.

Ahhh thanks, good to know.
I had trouble with my original first gen SNAP which they let me trade upto a first gen KICKR, which, when it faltered was exchanged for a reconditioned second gen KICKR… so along the way I’ve missed that. TRd suggests calibration before each session tho’ with the KICKR no? [sorry I’m not at home can’t double check that, but I’m pretty sure] My friend’s NEO didn’t even generate a “calibrate” button in the settings on TRd. That’s why I may tend to Spindown my KICKR in each App, as a matter of course.

Geez, I think I calibrate once a season. Using Power Match so trainer calibration doesn’t matter a ton

No, TR follows the Wahoo recommendation (which is about the same for most trainer builders).

Calibrate Wheel-on trainers every ride or workout. This is should be done after about 5-10 minutes of warmup.

Calibrate Wheel-off trainers about every 2 weeks. This assumes the bike remains mounted and the room has a consistent environment. This should be done after about 5-10 minutes of warmup.

(except the Neo since it is different and doesn’t need calibration)

If using power match, do you have to calibrate both the trainer and your power meter? I assume yes but just checking.

Really just the power meter. Any of the small changes that happen in trainer calibration are largely irrelevant as the control of the trainer is driven by the power meter and the ‘make harder’ or ‘make easier’ commands to the trainer will find their happy medium regardless of the trainer’s offset

For clarity:

Kickr (Wheel-off):

Kickr Snap (Wheel-on):

I went with the Kickr 2018 due to the wheel-height adjustment. I’m training on a 29" mtb and I believe that my rear-axle would have been too low with the non adjustable Core.

2 Likes