Knee Pain on Trainer

injury

On week 2 of mid volume base and I’ve got some slight knee pain on the right side. This has only shown up riding the trainer. Any ideas on what would cause this?

I was having similar issues and I talked to my trainer at the gym about it. He suggested rolling to loosen my IT band (Iliotibial band syndrome). It solved the problem for me.
I also remember reading somewhere that saddle height could cause it too…

I get knee pain sometimes on and off the trainer, but much more frequently on the trainer.

One thing I’ve found is that it’s easy for me to adopt a different position on the trainer than on the road, and this leads to worse pedaling mechanics.

I’ll have to look into that. I stretch daily but not that specifically. I would think if it was Saddle height I would have the same problem on the road. But this is trainer specific.

I’m used to putting in the hours of training, but not this intensity. So I wonder if just the harder effort is effecting it as well.

Same bike on the trainer as on the road?

Yes same bike.

I think many get knee pain because a bike on a trainer is has a much more rigid platform…meaning it doesn’t rock side to side like when you are out on the road which could cause more strain on the knees. I recently started using a rocker plate, not for knee issues but more to reduce saddle pressure.

Check out this thread about rocker plates. I’m thinking about building one myself.

My wife doesn’t ride outdoors, just on the trainer. A few weeks after she started she started to get some knee pain. We went in to our LBS and they shifted her cleats (forward a bit I think). That fixed it for her.

This is a key point. The constant loading and possibly different inertia (flywheel vs outside mass) could be leading to more tissue strain.

And as mentioned, we’ve had some people find relief via rocker plates. It’s not a leading solution, but it does help in some cases.

Thanks for the reply. I’m going to see how this week goes and drop the intensity if need be. It really started to show up on day 4, week 1, on Reinstein, which is a pretty good effort.

Yeah decided bail on Carter today. Knee pain just started to creep back. Guess I will take some time off and try to let it heal up. So frustrating.

Well I took 2 weeks off to recover. Did a short ride and started feeling a little pain. Adjusted my saddle height up a little. And also noticed I was in a slight different position on the bike than normal. So I made sure I was riding in the same position as on the road. Felt pretty decent after these adjustment. Going to try and ride a little harder this week and see if that resolved the issue.

Well so far, so good. I removed the block under the front wheel. I feel like this forces me to stay in a more aero position like on the road. Well its working so far. Ramping the workouts back up and feeling good. No knee pain.