Kona Special #1 – Tony Weeks – Ask a Cycling Coach 178

Excellent podcast!!

1 Like

Really enjoyed this one, not that I don’t enjoy them all but this one was really good :relaxed:

2 Likes

I like the fact he rides a Canyon Speedmax and @Nate_Pearson descbribed it as a “super bike”. A wry smile came accross my face and a sigh and head shake from Mrs G.

4 Likes

:+1: ditto

Tony’s results

8 Likes

Some AG for him to go sub 10 and only get 80th.

1 Like

Well done Tony!

Really enjoyed this episode - I’m not usually a big fan of long interviews, but this really worked for me. I’ll be listening again to take notes…did he really KQ at 4.2W/Kg?

I think he’s M45-50, but the average result for M40-44 at Kona is ~10:30, way below your average IM.

Hi all, I’m really enjoying recovery after the race. Had a great day! There’s been lots of talk about the favourable conditions leading to faster bike splits, not so much about the humidity hampering the run (it was slower on average compared to previous years), still a record breaking day!

Loving the other podcasts btw…

I’ve written a race report and will post a link soon.

More than happy to answer any questions regarding the race training, prep, execution, nutrition or anything else for that matter.

Looking forward to a debrief with J, N & C after my holiday (recovery).

Thanks for the support from TR staff & members - it really makes a difference.

Tony

16 Likes

Wow - he hit his target time pretty much to the minute! - if I’m remembering the podcast correctly :slight_smile:

My 2018 Kona IM World Championship - Race Report is up… https://www.coretriathlon.com/kona-2018-race-report

10 Likes

Just a Power Related update, after listening to Episode 182 (Kona AG race reviews).

The rain the night before the race played havoc with my Stages G3 PM, making calibration impossible. (Happens to quite a few AG & Pro athletes).

Going by RPE, speed & race experience, I would estimate my NP to be 220W (0.72?IF, or 3W/Kg).

Not the .55 IF as downloaded - hope this makes more sense.

2 Likes

Nice write up, and nice result. Those squelchy feet must’ve been annoying!

Well done.