Leadville 100 MTB 2019

With your FTP you would probably be better of going into maintenance mode for riding and focus hard on getting your BF% down. Pretty big difference between 15 & 18, if you have a DEXA scan available near you it’s worth the money if you really want to dial in your weight loss.

You’ve proven with that FTP that you don’t have any power issues. Shoot for a 3% reduction in BF based on where you think you are. IF you get a DEXA and are higher, a 5% reduction might be in order. A solid 8 week fat loss plan could do a world of good for you. Any loss in power you would have plenty of time to regain.

Depends on the type of workout and this is where things get tougher, because you are trying to balance adaptation, recovery and weightloss.

General guideline is eat enough to fuel and recover from your workouts, which usually means there is still a deficit.

I try to replace around 50% of the calories I burn in a workout on a given day, unless its a short endurance or easy ride.

I am. Already have a coin for next year, although at this point my recovery from this years’ leadville is going slower than anticipated lol

1 Like

Thanks all for the tips. I will implement them and keep you posted. Hope to see you all on 6th and Harrison 2020!

Fabulous video put out by Rapha Films on 08-19 that begins with the history of the race. The video then follows Lachlan Morton and Alex Howes from Education First with commentary provided by them and Taylor Phinney. A fun watch.

4 Likes

Good vid. Still amazed by Quinn Simmons who came in 2nd at age 18

1 Like

World champ:

4 Likes

Quinn is a rising star for sure. Will be fun to watch his career progress.

He also had something to say about this…

There was some noise about Quinn not starting in the “right” spot. It would be interesting to put that route into BBS and see if that matters.

White Rim is on my bucket list. It’ll take me a little longer than these guys tho!

Resurrecting an old thread but… @Stringwise I’d suggest trying Vittoria Mezcals if the Terrenos seemed to be too thin. The Mezcals are pretty fast rolling and pretty durable while being reasonably light. Right now, I’m running a Barzo up front and Mezcal in the back in Salt Lake City area trails with great results.

1 Like

You can buy Quinn Simmons’ bike - https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2655555/
Then you could definitely crush it next year!

1 Like

Leadville is too easy.

They decided to make it a bit harder by adding a 150 mile gravel race the next day.

1 Like

Doin both as I had planned this when they first came out with the gravel date! terrible idea lol

I’ll very likely be riding the steamboat gravel race. And maybe Leadville if I happen to get another coin (through lottery or Silver Rush) - but I’m not going to sign up for both from the outset.

Doing both would be a tough weekend, but I think manageable with the right pacing in both.

#Leadboatchallenge - sounds like a perfect event for a TR Coach’s Challenge - right @Nate @Jonathan and @chad?

2 Likes

:scream:

@Kuttermax, Looks like that my specs ftp and age-wise are similar to yours, but my finish time is much more than yours. Notwithstanding all the research about and careful monitoring of carb and sodium intake, the neuromuscular fatigue explanation for cramps, I still cramped a few times and probably lost something like 15 minutes in working out the cramps. I am wondering if strength training will mitigate cramps, as there is some research for that.

Did you incorporate strength training, e.g., lifting light weights and core exercises? Thanks in advance.

FYI: Sorry to hear about your AXS woes. I had no problems with mine, but I was a couple of hours behind you so maybe I missed the electromagnetic circumstances which caused your issues.

For my prep for Leadville 2019 I mainly followed the TrainerRoad plans and supplemented with outdoor workouts. I was pretty consistent with doing long weekend road rides 70 - 100 miles of mostly steady riding. After mountain bike rides I would sometimes tack on some road miles after as well. Sometime the long rides are downplayed on TR podcast, but at least for me I feel I really gained a benefit from them and helped a ton for Leadville.

I did not do any significant lifting in prep for Leadville 2019. I did do a reasonable amount of core work, light yoga, and a lot of push ups. Fatigue in my arms was noticeable in early season mountain bike riding, but the pushups helped a lot with this.

As I reflect back on Leadville 2019 and the lead up to it, I’m really pleased how things went but there is always room for improvement. I had a suspicion that all the sweet spot work had led to a bit of a plateau in terms of overall fitness, and now I have some evidence that this in fact was the case.

I’ve taken a new approach for 2020. I started working with a coach, @brendanhousler from Evoq.bike a few months before Leadville last year. We tweaked a few things leading up to Leadville that helped prepare me, but it was only after Leadville that we started focusing on the year ahead and implementing many new things. A big change has been incorporating strength training into my routine now. I’ve now seen a bump in FTP but also hitting consistent power PR’s at both shorter and longer intervals. I was hitting PR’s on the trails this fall as well. I continue to get in long rides when I can to maintain the aerobic base. I will have a good test in early January as I head to Maui for two solid weeks of riding. The 10,000 foot climb of Haleakala will be a good assessment and I have three prior rides to compare to. West Maui Loop will also be a great ride for both training and to evaluate current performance.

I’m looking forward to the year ahead and plan to race Leadville again. Along with some other mountain bike races, I’m planning to do some longish gravel races, including the 100 mile at Rebecca’s Private Idaho and 107 miles at Big Sugar in Bentonville.

Cramps are tricky and I’m certainly not immune. While major cramping was not a problem for me in Leadville, I did have a few twinges at times. I did get a nasty calf cramp in an intense 2.5 XC mountain bike race this fall when I had to unclip and put a foot down when the leading rider in front of me stopped on a steep short incline. With two miles to go it cost me the potential win, but also told me I had more work to do. My feeling on this is that the more you can match some of your race efforts in training, the more immune to the cramps you will be.

1 Like

@Kuttermax, much thanks for your detailed reply. I also feel that I need to do the long rides to better adapt to the demands of endurance racing.

This year I’m using a coach, too, who is recommending a strength training program incorporated into the bike training for 40+ athletes. Compared to last year, I’m doing less sweet spot, but more low intensity workouts probably for more aerobic adaptation, I think. It almost seems too easy compared to the HV SSB I was grinding through last year . . . . I can see that the strength training is really working out all the leg/hip/back muscles (deadlift, push press, dumbbell snatch, squats, box jumps, etc.). I’ll probably do two 100k races (one being Wilmington), but for more neuromuscular adaptation, I might consult with the coach about weaving in a 100 miler before LV.

I only wish that TR would have a complete training program for masters athletes incorporating strength training, for 100 mile races. Can’t be that snowflake…

1 Like

Sounds like a really solid plan. Hopefully it brings some good results for you.

I should be out at Wilmington again this year as well!

2 Likes