Let's see your Steel builds!

Like Ti, steel bikes are fairly rare, but there have got to be some on the forum. Personally, I do not yet own one so I cannot share a picture, but I am saving up for a custom steel to be delivered next year and wanted to get some inspiration in the meantime! Thanks in advance!

4 Likes

My wife’s surprisingly light and very comfortable Rivendell. Used for double centuries, it has spent the last couple of years as the trainer bike. Getting ready to put it back on the road as a climbing bike.

17 Likes

That looks really nice. :+1:t2:

I’m pretty much 100% a roadie, so my mtb is all about fun…

13 Likes

What kind of bike is that?

It’s a custom by Horse Cycles. He now offers similar geo in a much less utilitarian looking package and think he calls it the Hellcat. Think swooping lines more similar to Sklar.

Basically a slack, long hardtail that fits 27.5+/29 and plenty of room for frame bags. Mine is set up pretty heavy as I don’t care about going fast. Just to throw it in the truck or ride my backyard trails and not worry about breaking anything.

2 Likes

I’ve had this bike a really long time…

15 Likes

It looks sweet and the idea is awesome!

Still in winter guise

And summer

8 Likes

My fat tire road/gravel bike. It gets the vast majority of my miles.

21 Likes

Ah steel bikes… I thought you’d never ask!!! Here we go:

From 1978, my first RS. Wasn’t built for me and is too big as I never grew into it. Still have it. Peter Weigle did the respray and some mods.

Mid-90s RS freshly painted. D/A 7900 group with DT shifters (!!!) and handbuilt wheels for it and someday might even get built up again.

My first Peter Weigle frame built mid-80s and fresh from paint circa 1989. Was destroyed when a van driver decided to run me over (I was OK lucky enough). Build was Campy SR, Cinelli cockpit, tubulars as was proper for the period. Loved this bike. Sorry for poor picture but you get the idea.

Weigle 1

LandShark (cue JAWS theme and Smell The Bacon!!). One of the last years John was building in steel. Carbon fork. I raced the bejeezus out of this bike and still ride it regularly. Campy Chorus 10 speed. DT rims on Campy hubs. Changed cockpit out to nicer Deda bar and stem combo. Zero-G brakes for no good reason.

Engin CX bike built before Drew switched to only building titanium bikes. 1x10 with Paul’s cantis. This is a really fun bike.

No good pictures, but have a Basso GAP Miami (1980s) and a SlingShot (1992) hanging in the rafters. Just nostalgia…

–Mark

(That English above is sweet. Rob’s stuff is awesome)

13 Likes

My pictures keep uploading upside down! They are the right way up on my iPhone. Any ideas what I can do please?

This is a really nice bike. Campy hi-flange hubs?

1 Like

Thank you!! Bought it when I was 16 y/o (32 yrs ago)…

2 Likes

I do not have mine yet, waiting to for my name to be at the top of the list, I have a Nagasawa custom frame estimated 2-3 year wait.

2 Likes

This is a Cinelli Nemo Tig. Might be my current favorite ride.

There is also a steel Battaglin hanging next to it.

14 Likes

That’s beautiful - :sunglasses::sunglasses:

3 Likes

Hold your iPhone upside down while uploading and hope that two wrongs make a right?

Here’s mine. Genesis croix de fer from 2014. One bike to rule them all… I simply use different wheels for different surfaces. Here it’s in road mode. Overall weight is around 11kg :upside_down_face:. Sure it slows down when the road goes up, but I’m trying to compensate for this via the TrainerRoad mod. :muscle:

Apart from the frame and the brake callipers, it has fully evolved from its origins. The biggest changes in feel came from 1) moving away from the stock wheels (seriously, why do companies try to make a bike cheaper by slapping on wheelbarrow wheels…) and 2) changing from the steel fork to the carbon fork it has now. Did the last one just last spring, but should have done that a lot earlier :slight_smile:

13 Likes

I’ve had this frame since new in 1985 - a handbuilt Raleigh Gran Tour.

Over the years, it’s taken me touring, commuting and training, now just the latter. Restored and painted pink in 2010 to celebrate daughter 1 being born. Also at this point it was cold set to 130mm and fitted with modern handbuilt wheels and 8 speed cassette, but still friction shifters. Plenty of the original Shimano 600 still in use.

It’s lovely to ride, not a squeak or rattle, and friction shifting is non-indexed and therefore almost silent, so it’s a really peaceful bike to ride!

The Suntour downtube shifters incorporate a clever cam that trims the front derailleur when you shift the rear, just like Di2 - nothing new under the sun!

11 Likes