Lezyne latest GPS, any feedback?

@GPLama Sorry, should have been clearer.

Customer service was great in a good way! I’d get responses from a real human within a day. And someone who knew their stuff.

2 Likes

I had a “Enhanced Micro GPS” (those names…), loved it, except for one thing - its micro size. I ride with contact lenses, and I can’t see very well at short distances with them (that tells you my age). The screen was just too small for me. If it wasn’t for that, I would have kept it. The Lezyne products are interesting - very good feature set, ok interfacing, so-so looks, awful product names, continuous software updates to improve the functionality, and great support - all at a price way below the competition.

Tickets created for the field descriptions in the android app and PM not reconnecting.

I don’t have well documented steps for the Android phone not reliably connecting without first launching the Android app. I will see if I can get some when I start riding again. Taking a break after my A race.

Thanks! You should hear back within a few business days.

@GPLama - Feel free to send us an email: Marketing@Lezyne.com

Thanks everyone for their feedback.

Anything I pick up after my Garmin edge 500 will be a huge improvement. It has been a solid gadget but it is starting to freeze and I want maps badly as I am relatively new to the area.

I spent the last few days going through the Hammerhead Karoo. awesome device, android powered and the best screen. Price is high, though (I am looking for value for money as I am short of funds), but having a solid operating system is what attracted me, as it has possibilities of having additional software easily installed. It’s like having android-powered mobile phone on your bike.

However, my excitement went down the drain when I realized their hardware does not support sound. unbelievable. Some don’t care, I do. if it was a matter of a future software update, I would have considered it, but sound requires new hardware, meaning a potentially new head set, so this puppy is out of the equation.

If hammerhead karoo was to implement the Varia/Radar protocol, how will a cyclist be notified of incoming cars? by Karoo writing in the user guide that a cyclist has to look at the screen every 2 seconds? sigh…

Back to the lezyne
my conclusion is that it’s got many of the features others gadgets have. It doesn’t have 530’s ClimbPro, which looks great, but not a deal breaker if it doesn’t have it.
Not the best looking gadget, but as I mentioned, I can live with that.

Considering the number of features it’s got, it is very good value for money.

Mega C or Mega XL? it boils down to size… and color. A review I read shows that XL’s screen is very nice. Although color is good to have, I personally prefer ease of reading over color. ease of reading is linked to bigger size (for me), so XL is my preferred option.

I have also gone through the Lezyne support page and their pages are updated very recently (like days ago). perhaps it’s a good sign that they’re looking after their customer base feedback? I want to think it that way.

The root page looks fairly decent as well.

Apparently, you need the phone to start the route, and I am fine with that. after that one can use it offline, or continue to have it connected to the phone in case I want re-routing to occur. chews up data and phone’s battery, though. Up to the user to decide. But the options are there.

The screen for the XL looks sharp, and with up to 10 fields on a screen, I may need to have only one page and that’s it. 10 fields is more than I need on a page. Since I will use less than 10 fields on a screen, I imagine it will be easier to read as there will be more space. My eyesight is not getting any younger and coming from an edge 500 it will be a huge change.

the bluetooth disconnection has many variables to consider. It is too difficult to categorically conclude it is lezyne related. This is the biggest risk I see at the moment.

I am closing my analysis this week and will make a decision. Edge 530 costs USD$300, Mega XL costs USD$200 (I live in Canada, so this is out of taxes, etc. so the price difference could be higher). So far, and due to short amount of funds, I do not see a reason to pick the Edge 530 over the Mega XL.

1 Like

Check the pricing on probikekit.ca
I live in Canada and got the Mega C for around $200 CDN all in.

2 Likes

I’m interested in your choice and in your feedback on the Lezyne. I’m still running a Garmin Edge 510. It works fine and I have no dropout issues. I’m not a huge map user, so that doesn’t bother me. My goal is to ride DK200 next year and I’m planning a head unit purchase around the battery life needed to complete the race.
Lezyne’s units seems to fit the bill pretty well for me from my research, but I’m interested in actual user’s thoughts.

1 Like

if battery is the main priority, Lezyne should be on top of the list, imo.

I think I’ll be pulling the trigger on the Mega XL soon, perhaps this week.

2 Likes

I had been highly curious of Lezyne Mega XL and pulled the trigger two days ago at a local bike shop
(I’ve used Garmin Edge 520… and more). First impression was great (bigger screen, clear font, phone app, etc…) until I had a test ride on it. Long story short, I returned the device. And here’s why. Lezyne Mega XL constantly dropped my power meter (Favero Assioma) & Garmin HR premium strap & Cadence all at the same time. Yes, firmware was the latest (5/7/19) version. Those sensors were connected via ANT+, no bluetooth connection with sensors at all even with my phone. To be more clear, it happened less than 4 minutes of the ride. Maybe I got a defective device? But it’s my experience after all. Plus, some other issues I noticed… even if you stop pedaling, cadence never drops to zero. When you stopped at 90 rpm, the device keeps showing it at 90. Power data responsiveness was sort of not instant. It’s slightly laggy for sure compared to Garmin Edge 520. Like I said, perhaps the device I got was defective though I really hate to pay for something especially when a new device fails on the first attempt. I’ve heard more about signal drop issues related to certain power meters too… I hope Lezyne fix it asap for users.

thanks for the feedback. I am continuing with my research, haven’t pulled the trigger, yet.

1. Favero. I also have favero duo. A few months ago I checked Lezyne, and they had no support for it. It was only a few weeks back that I decided to check again, and favero now appeared on the list of supported devices.

2. I found another review and this person mentions that if you are on a ride and your lezyne crashes, you cannot recover whatever you have ridden/recorded. nothing. nada. Few times my garmin 500 has crashed, I have had to restart it, and the ride still appears there. In many years of riding this old garmin, I have never lost a ride.

3. sensors, compatibility, bluetooth, dropouts are still a few of the things that I keep reading over and over. Some users have no issues whatsoever, but there are quite a lot that complain one way or the other.

it gives me the impression that even though the gadget itself is big, nice resolution, nice screen, etc; the software itself is not there yet, and cannot simply be compared to the wahoo or the garmin.

Very strange that Lezyne would need to specifically support the Assioma’s.

I use a Garmin 500 still (which I love) and the Assioma’s work flawlessly with it. The two devices came out almost a decade apart…

Perhaps it is not specifically support the Assioma. It is more like “we have tested our device with the assioma”. So, they claim that it has been tested.

Were you able to talk with our customer service team at all? Certain power meters have different ways they need to be connected to the device and calibrated - especially ones with L/R power balance figures and cadence built in.

Again, there are a lot of factors at play here. Most of the issues we see are from outdated firmware versions. There are also some hardware issues - Some Bluetooth power meters, for example, have an incredibly weak signal and the related connection issues are not unique to Lezyne unfortunately.

Exactly. We have not specifically tested the Assioma pedals. If they have their own way of transmitting power meter data (Which they might, according to their angular velocity features) then the GPS device would have to have it’s own way of interrogating the data that’s transmitted.

Assioma’s don’t have “their own way of transmitting power data”. They transmit it via ANT+ (and bluetooth) just like any other power meter - these are standard protocols. How the Assioma’s record data before transmitting is another issue entirely and is abstracted from the head unit so it will not matter.

1 Like

That’s close to what I mean, pardon the phrasing above. The GPS device itself will read out whatever data the power meter is transmitting, but if it transmits data in a unique format then there has to be an extra interrogation step on the device. Since we haven’t tested that exact power meter, we unfortunately can’t confirm its compatibility but I have forwarded the suggestion on to our engineers for future testing.

What unique format is possible when ANT+ specifies with no ambiguity the fields that are used and how they are structured?

Not hating on Lezyne here… but it sounds to me like shifting the blame. At the core of things, power meter data and the protocols used to transmit this data (especially ANT+) are really very basic.

The Assiomas get universal praise for being accurate and reliable, so my guess is the problem is not at that end of the chain.

1 Like

Then Lezyne should remove Favero Assioma from their list of supported devices pdf

And this is exactly the reason I commented earlier stating that Lezyne “had tested it”. Excerpt from the pdf below:

“…Each of these has been tested by Lezyne and
checked for proper function.”

If this is not the case, it is clearly misleading potential customers

Well, this was definitely a mistake on my end - I was under the assumption that we had not tested that power meter specifically. If it’s on that list, we have tested it.

With that being the case, I’ve forwarded this information on to our engineers to ensure the readout with that power meter is still working properly. Unfortunately, power meter issues happen; sometimes on the device side (including other brand’s head units we test), sometimes on the power meter side.

That’s more of a question for the engineers. I do know that there are differences in programming to be compatible with different power meters.

The issue is that even if there is a problem with the readout for the Assioma power meter, it’s impossible to tell exactly what the device and pedal firmware was (EDIT 5/23 - Favero Assioma power "freezing" - #119 by deepakvrao), how the pedals were connected and calibrated (this is within the device), and under what exact circumstance the issue occurred. There could have been a problem with any combination of these factors, device or power meter. This is why we (and other companies) created a dedicated support channel. Our team can address unique problems rather than making general statements without knowing all the circumstances.

Apologies for any confusion I caused above.

1 Like

Jim is back posting:

June 10 is when we plan to have the Dash available to buy in stores or online. We are shipping to our distributors before that date to make sure Dashes are available to by on that day.

Hi there. I actually just picked up a Mega XL after spending that last few years on the Edge 510. I just got a gravel bike so wanted something with the longer battery and better mapping. It has been awesome to be able to download off line maps and as another person mentioned, power and lap speed (or another metric) can be overlaid on the map and such a nice feature. I am still working to get the most out of it but so far very happy with it.

1 Like