Lowering intensity without losing fitness

Hey, kids. I’ve been having some discomfort in my superior extensor retinaculum (basically top of the foot / bottom of the shin), probably due to a bike fit issue, or possibly just overwork. I’ve contacted a bike fitter and got an appointment for this coming friday (2/21).

When I asked him what I could do in the meantime to not aggravate the injury he was really clear that I needed to “spin easier”.

Now, I had to take three weeks off in November, due to the worst cold I’ve ever had, and I’ve only just recovered my fitness (according to Strava’s Fitness graph). Any suggestions on what workouts I can do that will help me keep a fitness plateau without possibly aggravating my tendonitis?

To eliminate intensity from your training, I would recommend following Traditional base. We often recommend this plan to those recovering from injuries becasue it is all low intensity work.

I can’t promise that you won’t lose some fitness, especically on your top end, but it will help you to build a nice, solid base for when you are able to get back to a full-on training regimen :slight_smile:

2 Likes