Make SIS BETA fuel yourself just a few pence per bottle

I’ve been making my own carb mix at a 2:1 ratio (Dextrose/ Maltodextrin 50-50 mix: Fructose). Next batch order I was going to order enough to go for 1:1 mix, as discussed many times at this stage on the podcast.

Is there something I missing that I couldn’t just use table sugar (or caster sugar to dissolve better) which is sucrose, which is 1:1 glucose: fructose already?

This is essentially the formula I use. 2 parts sports drink mix, 1 part maltodextrin for long rides and races. Half or two-thirds strength for shorter workouts. Cost is about $30 every two months - much better than $1/serving for Beta Fuel or Maurten!

I find the lower concentration helps reduce RPE during work sessions, even if it’s not physiologiccally required to get me through the session.

1 Like

What are the ratios (i.e. recipe) using normal measuring utensils (i.e. tablespoons, teaspoons, etc) for, say, 24 oz of water?

Same I’m a little confused on what they’re using per bottle. It’s simple I’m sure but I’m lost lol.

Maybe that’s a good starting place

Or use the SIS 40g per serving suggestion? The packets of sis are 300 calories.

I do 30 grams of pure fructose, 60 grams off maltodextrin and add some lemonade syrup for taste in a 500, 750 or 1000ml bottle. It all depends on how warm it is and how long the ride is. Doing two doses in a 1000ml bottle can work as well during colder longer races. You can add electrolytes or a pinch of salt. Salt tastes not that great but form over function right. I do want to try some pure electrolytes since I’m a very salty sweater.

4 Likes

Thanks I was confused if 90g was for the serving or the carb intake for the hour lol

I use more or less the same logic but I just mix maltodextrin with plain table sugar in a 1 to 1 mix aiming to maximum 60g total for 500 to 1000ml (depending on how hot is the ride).
I just squeeze half a lemon to give it some taste.
That 1 to 1 ratio is supposed to achieve the 2:1 glucose/fructose magic proportion.

I played a bit with adding some salt, too. I think 1g of salt has 400mg of sodium so, if I am on the top range of sodium loss which is around 1500 per hour, 3 grams would account for almost full compensation. More than 3 grams in a 1000ml mix and the taste for me becomes unpleasant.

2 Likes

Bumping an oldish thread…

I’m trying to find a cheaper alternative to SiS Beta Fuel, and came across a local oz supplement brand. There is one product aiming at using carbs to fuel intense workouts:

A$17 per kg Carb Powder - Carbohydrate Powder Supplement | Bulk Nutrients

I have asked bout the recipe and they confirmed the following:

• 40% Maltodextrin
  • 40% Isomaltose
  • 20% Dextrose Monohydrate

As there is no fructose, I’m assuming this won’t be anywhere close to Beta fuel, right?

2 Likes

Just buy yourself a maltodextrin and some fructose if you need more sugar per hour. Follow recommendations of Jeukendrup on the dosage.

@redlude97 No, dextrose is not fructose, it is glucose.

3 Likes

Dextrose is another name for glucose and contains no fructose.

4 Likes

Can any british riders suggest something to add for the taste?

Vimto.

3 Likes

Bit of squash sounds like a winner, thanks

Hey bud, why do you assume that the ratio of glucose to fructose in Gatorade is 1:1? Maybe it is close to 2:1 already?

High Five Zero tablets. Some great flavours and you’ll get your electrolytes too.

3 Likes

How important do you think it is to nail down the 2:1 ratio? As an example, If i we’re to shoot for 60g of carbs per hour, I would use 1/4cup maltodextrin (40g) and 1.667tbsp fructose (20g). Obviously it’d be touch to measure 1.667tbsp of fructose perfectly every time. If i was off by a couple grams more or less, do you think that would have significant negative impact?

1 Like

Couldn’t you do it in bulk and split it? 1 cup maltodextrin and 1/2 cup fructose? 1/2 and a quarter etc?

That’s my plan. Make up a container of 1KG malto and 500g Fructose. Mix well and then scoop into bottles as needed. Thinking about adding a NUUN tablet for flavor, sodium, potassium, etc

3 Likes