Maratona dles Dolomites

Who has raced/ridden the Maratona? BBS has me riding the climbs at ~72 IF for more than 7 hours. Should I remain even more conservative and save it for the last climb?

Currently 3.3 w/kg, aiming for 3.7 w/kg this season.

Save everything you can for the second last climb, Passo di Giau. It’s brutal. We’re talking 10 km at a relentless 10%, it never eases up. There is a stretch of a relatively flat 18 km before the Giau - make sure to ride it conservatively - it’s very tempting to jump into a faster group there and burn your matches.

BBS plan is optimistic but something around .7 sounds doable. Only you have to remember you will be at elevation so it really depends how you deal with that. There will be loads of people on the first climb (Passo Campolongo), you will not be able to follow any pacing strategy, just try to conserve the energy and be smooth. Overtaking slower people is tempting but all these microbursts will cost you later in the day. The crowd will thin out a bit at Passo Pordoi, this is where you should be able to keep your own optimal pace.

If it’s dry but not too warm at the beginning, it’s easy to get dehydrated and crash and burn on the Giau. Make sure you have a hydration strategy beforehand and stick to it.

The last climb, Passo Falzarego, is actually pretty mellow and standalone is not much of a challenge, but you will have 100km and over 3000m of climbing in your legs by then.

So much good info. Thank you!

Pretty much everything this guy just said is true. I have done it the last 2 years and I’m going next year too. I just looked at my file for this year and I did it at an IF of .81 but I think my actual FTP was higher than I had in TR at the time. It could be a reason why I blew up on the Giau this year though whereas the previous year I was fine. However I do think that was more likely a nutrition/hydration error as the heat and humidity were on the Giau was awful this year so I’ll be mindful of that and will be going at around 0.75 IF next year (with a correct FTP)

Great event, you’ll love it!

Hope all that info helps! I just checked and my IF in 2017 was .75, this year .72. Both years I was aiming for a time below 5:30:00 and ended up blowing up on the Giau, This was especially frustrating in '17 - the friends I was crushing in April on a training camp in Mallorca ended up in top 100, I was like 45 minutes slower. Nutrition and hydration are really key.