Maurten vs SIS Gels

Completely agree about the taste of some SIS gels. The Tropical flavor is downright disgusting. I just ordered the Tutti-Frutti flavor using the USAC discount, so I hope it is better as I prefer the texture of SIS gels. I actually really like the sweetness of GU gels, just wish they were thinner.

I think I’d go Maurten if I had to pick one, but I like the SIS gels too. I’m not sure how I’d do if I was say riding all day and primarily using Maurten but as much as they cost I can’t see me eating several of them a day anytime soon.

I also tried the Tropical SIS which I agree is not that good. I use and like the chocolate and I plan to try vanilla. I mostly used GU in the past but man is it thick.

^ This.

Having tried both, I’ll likely continue with the Maurten gels.

Anyone know of gels with a 2:1 mix of glucose:fructose?

I know SIS beta fuel has this, but I prefer just to have water in my bottles.

I believe it’s all glucose.

It’s mighty hard to figure out the breakdown of particular products, unless they explicitly tout it in their product literature.

The closest I’ve found is this, but I have no idea about the accuracy. It’s also fairly coarse information.

For what it’s worth, I used Honey Stinger chews, which are supposedly between 1:1 and 2:1 glucose:fructose. They’re the “right” size to cheek, and they’re delicious, so I actually eat them during a ride.

I tried a Rekarb gel (Canadian maple syrup based gel) on the weekend and boy was it sweet! Not really in a good way though and I don’t think I could stomach them as my go-to gel throughout a longer race. It did seem to perk me up a bit so it did its job in that respect :grinning:.

https://rekarb.com/en/

I’ve just abandoned SIS, had a load of black currant years ago and can’t face any of their flavours. One came out in lumps and knocked me sick.
Surprised no ones mentioned Torq gels yet. I’ve just switched to these and so far much better.

For those who do still like/buy SIS gels it feels like they’re in “trouble” I’ve gotten a number of insane coupon deals lately. Today thru Strava theres 12 free Energy Gels (worth up to $26) with code 12-STRAVA-19 Shipping’s $8 but if you buy something else for $10 or more shipping’s free I just picked up 18 gels for $12

I tried this code, but got a “12-strava-19 does not apply to the selected products” when I added 2 boxes of 6 vanilla gels.

Is this limited to certain products? I don’t see the Strava deal or haven’t gotten an email about it.

Have no idea just passing along the info for what its worth I got the 2 x GO Isotonic Energy 6 Gel Pack and the GO Energy + Electrolyte Gel 6 Pack and my total inc tax was $12

I’m not sure if that’s the case. Getting people to switch workout nutrition has to be really, really hard. Most people are unlikely to switch once they find something that works for them. Therefore, brands have to invest a lot in incentives to get people to try new products.

Yeah, I thought about that you may be right but Ive used others but have never gotten any promotions like what Ive gotten from SIS since the beginning of the year. This is like the third in three months. I got one like this through USAT and another one for 30-100% off with a “mystery code”. Then I got one last week on 50% off expiring products which tells me they’re not moving inventory. I get promos from INFINIT and Hammer AND GU but again not like the SIS ones

Anyway they’re not my favs but for $0.60 a gel Ive been able to stock up a bit :slight_smile:

Bought a six-pack of the SIS tropical-flavored gels; had one about 2/3s of the way through today’s workout (Spanish Needle -3). My very first reaction to the flavor was “whoa, I’m not sure I …” and pretty much before I finished the thought, I had decided it was mild and inoffensive. The texture is also weird, at first, but compared with the “pack of buttercream frosting” that I’ve experienced with GU gels, I like it a lot more.

It may have been placebo effect, but it felt like by the time the next set started up, I pretty energized and ready to get at it. I’ll give them another try, tomorrow, on my 2 hour workout, but I am pretty encouraged by the first experience.

If anyone cares, I got the six-pack on Amazon for $11 USD.

SIS is doing 40% off with code Lucky and free 6 pack of apple right now.

I got a couple of the SIS to try and man, those things are HUGE compared to other gels.

There’s some, insecurities there, sure :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

If you like flan, Maurten is going to be your go to. I love maurten gels.

1 Like