Mountain bike shoes with Look Kéo cleats

I’m looking for mountainbike shoes which will fit Look Kéo cleats. Because I do not want to drop my Favero Assioma pedals when I want to ride some gravel or easy singletrack.

Does anyone have any experience with a setup like this? Or any tips?

I have experience with a similar set up during a long off road event. It ended like this

2 Likes

I don’t think you’ll get MTB shoes compatible with road cleats. If needed you’ll find it very difficult to walk in them, and once they get any gravel in them they won’t work properly.

2 Likes

Not the way you want to end. But it is possible.
Which setup did you have?

I know there are some drawbacks. But its that or no powermeter…

I’ve been in a similar position. I’ve P1S pedals and my riding buddies have been dabbling in gravel rides. I decided that it’s not worth wrecking cleats/shoes or poetentially my powermeter by using it in environments that it’s not designed for.

P1S and look keo cleats.

It doesn’t take much to damage the plastic cleats to the point where the won’t disengage, which is what happened to me. Or you will get crap in the pedal, which also happened to me :joy:

And wait until you hear and feel your pedal scrape against a rock…

4iii crank meters are coming way down in price, or the avio is very cheap (but still seems to have some QC issues) saving up for something suitable would be my recommendation

But which mountainbike shoes did you wear with your look kéo cleats?

oh sorry, I didn’t use MTB shoes. just road cleat and pedal set up off road. I couldn’t find a mtb shoe that would work with those cleats

You won’t get MTB shoes that are compatible with Look Keo cleats. Sorry.

1 Like

Crazy minds think alike. I have been toying with the same idea. There are not MTB shoes with 3-bolt setups, to my knowledge.

I am planning a test to modify an old pair of MTB shoes (I got them from my scrap bin just this Tuesday).

• I will cut a clearance in the mid-foot section of the outsole to make room for the cleat and pedal.
  • Then I will drill 3 mounting holes and mount t-nuts to secure the cleat, just like a road shoe.

It will be a total redneck engineer solution and may well be a terrible idea, but I have some junk shoes that I can cut up with no consequences.

1 Like

o I’ve 100% seen a pair of shoes that will take both style of cleat but for the lift of me I can’t remember who made it…been looking but I can’t find it. I’m pretty sure that it was marketed as a spin class shoe but again not 100%. It was at a bike shop so it was from some actual cycling brand but I’ve looked at Shimano, Lake, Giro and Specialized and not found the shoe so…

Maybe this topic can help on different website:

A couple of them mention shoe manufacturers and models, perhaps there’s something in there for you

Certainly Shimano used to make them. I was offered a pair by my LBS when I got my first road bike, but that was about 10 years ago now. However, it was mainly a road shoe (little to no tread) and to run SPD cleats you used a weird set of rubber platforms to give you grip (something like this).

I think it is possible to bodge it with this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-SH-SM85-Cleat-Adapter-Plate-Black-/264094284259?_ul=BE

Dead link for me?

Also a dead link for me?

Hmm I can reach it, can anyone else check?

There are definitely shoes that include SPD (MTB) and SPD-SL (Road) mounting options, but they are all “Road” shoes in my experience. Might be some older models out there, but I don’t expect there would be any current models.

It’s just a odd thing, and I am in the same boat of wanting an option for gravel use. I want it easier to walk in while off the bike with less risk to cleat damage when walking on gravel roads. I would avoid using them in anything close to muddy conditions (which I do anyway as a fair weather rider) to prevent excess risk of damage to the pedal and cleat.

I recently had the exact same thought OP. I had this brilliant idea of ordering Assioma pedals to replace my power2max spider because I was planning on switching them between my current road/race bike and a soon-to-be-purchased gravel bike, but I’ve now realized that will probably not work. As someone who will likely only ever need power on one ‘road’ bike at a time, the draw of the pedal-based power meter has waned a bit. Will be nice for A) renting a bike when traveling, B) adding power to a spin bike when traveling (though I doubt I’ll actually do this), and C) simplifying the process of upgrading bikes. Obviously if I ever do get a dedicated TT bike then this would be perfect, but that wouldn’t happen for a while. Are there any other advantages I’m missing? Please help alleviate my buyer’s remorse.

Also those links work for me FYI