My FTP decrease -22%

I think you can consider a workout unsuccessful if you do not achieve what was intended from the workout. Gerdarme +3 is a tough workout for sure. I always read the workout goals before doing my workouts, they give good insights into what to expect and helps me mentally prepare. Coach Chad says that Gendarme +3

The goal with most VO2max intervals is to improve maximum aerobic capacity … Very short recoveries can yield more total time at or near peak aerobic power.

So, in this workout you’re looking to stress your maximum aerobic system (VO2Max) with 26 mins spent at 120% FTP via 30/20’s.

With that knowledge in mind, fatiguing on the last of 50 intervals and ‘only’ spending 25:30 at VO2Max I wouldn’t see as a failure. You did what was intended from the workout by stressing your aerobic capacity through time spent at VO2Max. Stressed so much that you just couldn’t finish the last interval. Job done, well done!

So, what might have been more clearly a failure for this workout. Perhaps only getting through half of the first set of intervals and ending the workout. You wouldn’t have spent enough time stressing your maximum aerobic capacity to the extent intended. Or, if you’d turned down the intensity of the workout by more than 10% in order to get to get to the end. While you would have finished the time, you would have turned it into a Threshold workout, not a VO2Max workout. The goal is time at VO2Max for this workout, turning it down a bit (2-5%) or skipping a couple of intervals would not constitute failure in my opinion.

1 Like

Yeah, so post ramp test rant. Do ramp test, 127ftp.

Do base build 1. Low intensity.

A couple more workouts and then another ramp test.

Same bike, same conditions, same turbo.

Result: 122ftp.

I’ve got worse (and £20.00 poorer).

• How did the workouts feel?
  • Were you completing them easy, medium, hard?
  • Were you properly recovered and able to maximize the “work” in each workout?

Essentially, we need to better understand how the workouts went, if they were followed completely and such. With that additional info, we may be able to identify the issues.

Also, that 5w delta may happen for any variety of reasons.

• Exact temp in the room, diet leading into the test, outside/life stress, and other factors. Any one can lead do a lower test.
  • How have you “felt”? Are you feeling stronger in efforts above or below FTP?
  • Do you have a better time to exhaustion?
  • The reason I point these out, it that FTP is one measure of progress, and not necessarily the one we will see change with certain training. It’s entirely possible to lose on FTP and gain in other areas.
  • Look at your progress with the Career tools to see if you improved in other areas.

That said, SSB1 LV is more of a prep program and the real work (with more return on the training effort) seems to come in the second one Sweet Spot Base 2, Low Volume.

Also, if you share a link to your TrainerRoad profile, we may be able to review your workouts and see if there is anything to add from looking at them.

2 Likes

Hey, thanks for the quick response.

Had great results with TrainerRoad in previous years but this winter I’ve struggled with self discipline and I’ve skipped rides and done time crunched versions of some rides rather than the full fat versions.

I didn’t do ANY of the last week of rides, ffs.

So I’ve only myself to blame.

Thanks again. Will have a word with myself. :smirk::+1:t3:

2 Likes

Yup, consistency is king. Get that right as it’s arguably the most important part of a plan… following it.