Seeing as I’ve read and or commented on various threads I thought I’d photograph each step of my bike build to show it’s really quite easy.
I started off picking up a Space Chicken frame at a massive discount from PlanetX in their warehouse clearance and went from there.
I was building to a budget so no fancy carbon wheels so don’t expect loads of bicycle porn.
Here’s the frame and fork
I next bagged some wheels and disks in another sale and put those together.
I had some non-tubeless Schwalbe G ones so stuck them on for now, I’ll ride them for a while and then setup tubeless, like my other bikes.
One thing I was lucky to get away with was the disc fitting, they are centrelock but the wheels and discs each had different lock rings, one uses a bottom bracket spanner and the other a cassette tool.
I didn’t want an adapter on the back so I went for a 140mm disc and 160mm upfront.
I only needed to go to my LBS for one issue and that was setting the fork race, I didn’t have the proper tool and wasn’t go to make one, it’s a one minute job the shop did for me for free.
Okay I did end up buying another bike whilst I was in there but at least it was only a child’s bike for Christmas.
With the fork race fitted I could fit the headset.
It took me ages to workout what headset but scratching around online revealed what all the requirements are and this was a simple drop in setup, with grease everywhere.
I live in a very corrosive area so where metal meets carbon there is lithium grease to avoid galvanic corrosion.
I also decided to add some colour seeing as the frame isn’t exactly subtle!
The frame is 1x only so I went for GRX because it was cheaper than SRAM and I can slot on my crank power meter.
The frame came with guides already routed through the frame but to accommodate my braking setup (normal British right hand front brake) I needed to swap the front exit hole.
Adding the various parts was easy, I did refer to the online Shimano dealer manuals for each component just to check beforehand.
Making sure you don’t miss little things like this into the brake bolt
Thank goodness for a threaded bottom bracket, couldn’t be easier, oh and more grease
The cables come fitted to the Caliper and filled with fluid, under the end cap the end of the hose has a film covering the opening.
I’ve never installed hydraulic brakes before and typically Shimano specifies special tools to cut the cable and install the end fitting, I managed with the blocks, a clamp and a sharp knife.
I will bleed the brakes as there’s a little too much lever travel so must be a bit of air in the pipes.
The frame was routed for a dropped seatpost but I doubt I’ll use it so didn’t bother, I still haven’t put one on my mtb.
The saddle I had already, taken off another bike purely because it looked a little worn.
Handlebars I had too, I have another more basic gravel bike and never ride in the drops so I just put some ergo bars on.
I can fit 650b wheels so I’ll add a set of those for rougher trails but for now I haven’t even had a chance to ride it yet, roll on the weekend.
Total build cost was just over £1300