My Polarized Training Experience (Chad McNeese & others)

How long are the Z3 108% of FTP intervals?

You can see all of this in the original / top post, Chad is keeping that updated as he progresses.

Mount Alyeska is 6x4 minutes and Mount Deborah is 7x3 minutes.

1 Like

Correct. I am updating the pics in the OP, when I complete each week

I also supplied links to my TR profile so you can view any and all of my workouts.

Last night was Mount Deborah +1, 10 x 4 min at 105-109% of FTP. Hurt at the end and I chose to add some backpedals to make it fully thru all the work intervals.

If you would like to hear prof roonestad talk a little bit about this protocol:

3 Likes

Roonestadā€™s protocol is much easier than Burgomasterā€™s. :wink: 6 wingate tests. :nauseated_face::face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting:

I tried that Burgomaster protocol. It will hollow out your soul.

Wingate tests are brutal. I did one - once - on an airdyne bike. Never again.

1 Like

Fun factā€¦if you look at a distribution of Wingate test results itā€™s pretty much a normal distribution centered around 200% of Wmax. So if you wanted to approximate a Wingate test on TR 30s @ 200% FTP ought to just about do it.

Of course, StDev of that distribution is quite large so individual variation applies.

So we could make a TR called Burgomaster that is 10min spin at 50% then 6x 30s@200%, 4min@50%. FUN TIMES!

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure if you were deliberately exaggerating on the benefits of 2 hours indoors versus an outdoor 5+ hour ride. I agree that trainers are more time effective, but I donā€™t believe the adaptations are inherently better than an outdoor ride of equal pedaling time and power (average and normalized). Iā€™d say the continuous effort versus stochastic effort is worth something, but not THAT much. I personally make up for the time lost to coasting with higher power numbers (or simply a lower RPE) outside.

My latest outdoor ride was 2:45 with 21min coasting and an IF of 0.90. To be fair, Iā€™m better outdoors with only about half my riding in the last two months being inside, but that IF, and Iā€™d even argue the training load at a different IF, would be totally unmanageable inside. I wasnā€™t particularly tired after, and my next TrainerRoad workout was Baird the next day, which went great.

2 Likes

If you look, you will see the Vogelsang I did in Saturday was 4 hours inside, then inside another 2 hours inside on Sunday. Both in Z1 POL.

I was not commenting based purely on the 2-hour ride. It is the combo of 2 long rides (4 hrs + 2 hrs) in 2 days that lead to my DOMs and related comments.

I was in not equating 2 hrs on the trainer with 5+ outside. I never said anything close to that.

I said that about 4 hours on the trainer is more like 5+ outside. I was referring to the 4-hour Vogelsang workout when I made that comment.

I see how it may not have been fully clear and edited that post to make my correlation more clear.

1 Like

My understanding of the wingate test is that there is no pacing - so itā€™s as hard as you can go at every point in the test. This is what makes it so hard - you go super deep anaerobically in the first 10-15 seconds, and then have to keep going for the remainder of the test in massive oxygen debt (the test I did was 60 seconds). So a steady effort at 200% wouldnā€™t be the same as a true wingate test?

Yeah, I agree. Part of the charm of the Wingate test is you start out in a high cadence sprint and wind up in a low cadence grind. So definitely not he same. Just approximately the same work.

I havenā€™t tried it but I suspect 200% 30s intervals would feel ā€˜easierā€™. Doing multiple Wingate tests is just really hard. Walking into those workouts is like picking which finger youā€™re going to clip off with garden shears.

But Iā€™m hijacking this thread. So

1 Like

That makes much more sense! Thanks for clarifying.

Iā€™ve also looked back and Iā€™m closer to 1/3rd indoor than 1/2. Have you found you can do near to 100% power, personally, on the trainer as what you can do outside? Iā€™m at least 5% higher outside across all durations, but Iā€™ve been in SSB to prep for a triathlon following into road race base season and Iā€™ve definitely progressed on the muscular endurance for both.

1 Like

I think I am close to the same, but probably not 100%. Maybe 95-98% depending on the day. I am have worked hard on my cooling and airflow to make sweating and heat buildup essentially a non-issue for my training room.

Even on my hardest workouts, I rarely have more than 5 drops of sweat reach the floor. I am a profuse sweater outside, and strive to make my airflow and cooling prevent any sweat drops inside. So I think I have that part nailed. I also use Zwift for distraction and motivation, but I think I can still pull a bit harder in real world situations.

For reference, based on your comment about hard rides inside, I did a very challenging Zwift ride/race.

• It was 5 hours at 0.8 IF with 324 TSS, and I was crushed at the end.

• I underfueled which was not intentional, but really hampered my final lap in the race.

• Despite that issue, I nailed a BUNCH of power PRā€™s (All-Time and current season) so I was able to use the pack effect to push me harder than I likely would on my own.

• Overall point being that I think you can push yourself as hard as you want in side, even for extremely long events like the one I did.

1 Like

Updated the OP with last nights workout.

I also added direct links to each related workout right in the header of each workout comment, for quick access to see the related workoutā€¦

Come on, guysā€¦youā€™re giving our demographic a bad name! :laughing:
Iā€™m older than both of you(!!!) and I still get a kick out of Vmax sessions!
Do NOT go gentle into that good nightā€¦of VO2max intervals! :leg::muscle:

Similar to the original Koichi/Tabata protocol: 8x20/10 @200% FTP (4x/week for 6 weeks).
The original test subjects, world-class speed skaters, found it very hard with some failing around interval #7.
Interestingly, Dr. Tabata found that 30s/2min @ 200% VO2 was not as effective as the 20/10 protocol at taxing the aerobic and anaerobic systems (+28% anaerobic, +15% VO2max).

So for all TR riders who find 1 low-% VO2max session per week a challengeā€¦it could be worse ā€“ a LOT worse!

2 Likes

I love it. I am hoping to actually grow my VO2 Max by using these slightly lower levels as a stepping stone. I think that making it through those will give better results than failing at the 120%. But thatā€™s a guess and a hope from me :wink:

1 Like

Exactly! The power zones of Dade+

look like the power zones of our local Wed night ride:

its easier to chase those VO2max outside, but a lot more recovery is required from the higher TSS!!

2 Likes

1 Like

2 weeks, 30x30s intervals total
Sessions 1-2 = 4 intervals; 3-4 = 5 intervals; 5-6 = 6 intervals
Intervals @250% VO2max (= 300% FTP)

I would fail each and every one.
No way I could hold my 5s power for 30s.

As @chad says, it has to be repeatable (and attainable!) power, thus the usual 110-120% FTP VO2 intervals.

1 Like