N+1 bike dreams

A kid on my street had one and I’d just look on with envy.

2 Likes

2 Likes

N = 1, and it’s a 2016 Trek Crockett 5 Disc. Purchased in 2017 because my area is rainy and hilly, and I wanted disc brakes and fatter tires. I don’t race cyclocross (or anything else). I have ridden it off-road a total of zero times. I do not need another bike.

N+1: Trek Checkpoint ALR 5

Lower bottom bracket than the Crockett, climbing gears instead of 46/36 11-28, adjustable rear dropout, hydraulic disc brakes, frame mounts everywhere. The 2019 edition is in stock in my size at the bike shop five minutes from my house.

1 Like

I had one of these as a kid: Bikes | Raleigh UK
My dad won it in a competition (at that time I was riding a “shopper” style bike with a fixed wheel!). There wasn’t really a BMX scene where I lived, so I didn’t use it to it’s potential, and I sold it for pennies to fund some MTB bits when I was MTBing. :cry: I’d love to have another one - it was soo light compared to any BMX I’ve been on since.
All my other dream bikes, be they TT, 'cross, or MTB would have some justification for them, but this one would be pure nostalgia.

Yeah, those Chrome Burners were beautiful and rare as hens teeth. I’m crying a little tear for you :wink:

I had no idea how special it was - I knew how much it would have cost, but had no understanding of other bikes.
The competition was a Halfords one - they had soe special promotion where each store had a BMX to give away. It had loads of questions so my dad went to the library and researched the answers - apparently only 2 people answered every question in all the entries for that store (Cwmbran).

1 Like

A nice road bike… I mean I mostly ride on gravel anyways around where I live to get away from the cars, so I would not really have much opportunity to ride it. I’ve already got 2 mountain bikes and a cross bike. I did purchase my single speed as a used frame and fork and built up the rest so it wasn’t too expensive, but I need to find out times to ride my SS before I try to justify a nice road bike. I am kind of intrigued about some road races, but I just don’t ever see having the time available without this hobby being my mistress.

Actually, I have another answer - a Windcheetah Speedy. It’s been a dream ever since I read the Richards Bicycle Book as a kid. Something like this:

1 Like

I would like a Rondo HVRT CF0

With a Rotor 1x13 46x36 and 46 casette.
2 Wheelsets. One 50+mm wheelset and a 650b wheelset.

With this combo I can ride fast on the flats and long endurance. Plus I can ride gravel and ride big mountains.
Nice and aero. And reasonably light (I hope around the 7.5 kg)

Oh, and it won’t be a N+1 bike. But an N=3?

1 Like

A No. 22 Little Wing custom Ti track bike.

4 Likes

Custom Built Steel. Thin tubes still look the best.

Raleigh are knocking their limited editions out of the park. Super Tuff Burner coming soon… :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Incredibly I currently don’t have any N+1 dreams at present. Is there something wrong with me?

My main bike, my MTB - Mondraker Dune is perfect, the only reason I’ll ever change it is if I snap it. If I got the chance there are a handful of components I might upgrade but they are pure bling not essential.

My road bike, my trainer bike is a cheap £300 Btwin Triban 3 and it does all I need it to and I love how it looks. As I’m not a roadie I have no desires to change it.

My BMX is a 90’s TNT Wyfe Beater, its a little heavy but its still a belter of a BMX so again, I have zero desire to change it.

I’m getting a Brompton very soon for the London commute, what a bike.

I have no time for anything else! :blush:

god those are SO nice :heart_eyes: