Nate's sweet potato black beans Pico de Gallo recipe

Let us know if the carb life helped the workouts :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I absolutely gag at sweet potatoes so I sub regular spuds :ok_hand:

I just had an allergy test a few weeks ago and found out I was allergic to broccoli. Kinda sucks, Iā€™ve always liked it, so now Iā€™m exploring options.

Agreed, feta is good on everything

Since I almost always train first thing in the AM, Iā€™ve been doing your Ezekiel raisin bread with honey before hard workouts. That definitely helps. I can do endurance rides fasted, but the 90 min guys (Fletcher, et. al.) Iā€™ll take a gel w/ caffeine halfway through because it helps with RPE and breaks the workout up. 60 min sweet spot or below I do fasted. I absolutely think the raisin bread helped me through Kaweah this morning.

Iā€™ve been doing the sweet potato-broccoli-bean-pico-Tapatio on occasion for about six months. It was a staple to load my hard workouts building to my 70.3. I canā€™t do it before running (beans), but no issues prior to long or hard rides. Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll be ready to go tomorrow morning for Geiger +2.

1 Like

Perfect baked sweet potato

Prick it. Put it in a COLD oven and turn the oven on to 425F / 220C (adjust for fan ovens).

Cook for 45 minutes (if under 3" diameter) or an hour (if bigger), then turn the oven off but donā€™t open the oven door.

Leave the potato in the cooling oven for a further 30 minutes or so before removing and serving. It will have taken on this beautiful soft, fudgy consistency. Give it a try!

1 Like

Uncooked is fine, though if you want to see the difference do it uncooked then cooked. Depending on how you cook it, the loss of water content (and therefore weight) is minimal.

Whatā€™s the calorie count on that on average?

Just shy of 400 for a medium sweet potato, half can of black beans, broccoli and pico. I have a piece of fruit or two with it, so probably a 600 calorie meal.

1 Like

I want to try the instant pot sweet potato. Do you do high pressure? Any seasoning or coconut oil on the potatoes?

High pressure, I wash in water and stick them with a fork so they donā€™t break their skins

1 Like

Got creative tonight, nuked the sweet potatos, made two eggs over easy, pico and a little shredded cheddarā€¦wifey liked it too.

2 Likes

Cut a few sweet potatoes into small cubes. Mix in just a little olive oil (or oil of choice) along with salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. Cook at 450 degrees in a single layer for 30 minutes, mixing them around a bit half way. If you want them a bit more browned, simply turn on the broiler for a few minutes at the end watching to make sure then donā€™t burn.

Remove and eat - keep the rest in the fridge to quickly heat for other meals. I use them for side dishes along with mixing them into a morning scramble. They are delicious and reheat pretty well. They donā€™t seem to get as mushy as simply cooking them whole.

Sweet potatos are sooo much better when cooked in the oven vs microwave. Also try the organic garnet sweet potatoes if you can find them, you will be amazed by the difference in taste.

There can be no real set cooking time as each potato is a different size. Just cook the on 425 until you can really smell them. Test them with a knife to make sure they are soft, turn off the oven and just let them stay in there for another 20Ā± minutes.

I eat them plan with no topping or butter

Cook 3 or 4 at a time to save energy.

1 Like

Do you need to poke the sweet potatoes for this? I just got an instant pot for Christmas, started my plunge into recipes and found this post among the search in the forums. Iā€™ve been big on the baked version, but taking the cook time down like this sounds amazing to me, especially for batching them for easy lunches/dinners throughout the week.

1 Like

For large sweet potatoes I slice into them in a middle a bit rather than poke them just because I like them on the softer side. Basically just cut straight down with a sharp knife in the very middle 3/4 of the way down. If small sweet potatoes then I just poke them with a fork.

1 Like

I did this tonight and it was ROLLINā€™! I can already feel the gains too! :muscle::muscle:

2 Likes

I think sweet potatoes are way better in the oven, so personally I make about 500 of them at a time.
Iā€™ve also got some serious bean fatigue from working at a mexican resturant, but i really like them with a fried egg and some spinach.

Oh man, hope you loaded up on toilet paper. If youā€™re out, I can sell you some in a back alley.

2 Likes