New bike Vs power meter

For triathlon, I can afford to buy a cheapish bike or use some cash for a pm and have the rest left over (£1200). Then I would be riding my road bike in my tris for the foreseeable future. What do you guys think?

My tris are mostly sprint/Oly, but with occasional 70.3.

For efficient training and pacing you need a power meter, and I’d save the money for the next bike. If you go with pedal-based power meters, you will be able to carry those over to the next bike. With crank-based power meters, You probably won’t.

1 Like

If you want to leverage your current fitness into immediate results then a TT bike will get you better performance immediately

If you want to improve your fitness and eventually get to higher levels of performance then buying a power meter now and saving for a bike later will get you to a higher eventual point

So…short term planning - TT bike, long term planning - power meter

1 Like

I mean the obvious answer is both. Right? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Seriously I’d probably go for the PM though while everyone likes ‘free’ speed the PM actually is a tool to make the engine better. I’d echo that pedals are probably the best idea as they will definitely fit the next bike where a crank may not.

Also, you can get a decent chunk of the benefit of a tri bike with a set of clip on aerobars which isn’t a huge outlay of cash.

1 Like

What is your current bike, aerobar, wheel setup?

Knowing that, and what bike you would be getting can help evaluate the potential gain from the equipment change.

1 Like

Off the cuff, power meter. But if you’re riding a Schwinn or something, that might change my answer. Odds are if you’re on a decent road frame with clip-ons, you’ll get more out of the power meter.

1 Like

If you have £1200 left over after the power meter then you can afford a PlanetX TT bike. Not the sexiest brand or frame but plenty of guys have been winning on them for years.

2 Likes

Thanks for the answers everyone. Just to clarify £1200 is my total budget, not what would be left after pm purchase.

Current bike below. I haven’t added Tri bars yet in a bit concerned about getting a good fit on a road bike with Tri bars.

Something like the RedShift Sports Aero System is a great option. I have used one since they had their Kickstarter and couldn’t be more pleased with it.

The setup is great for a cheap investment. Tack on the price for a proper fit to make a good position and you can make up most of what is had from a TT/Tri bike. Position is king and worth more than the frame and base bar setup (all that you are really missing when compared to TT/Tri).

1 Like

I agree with @mcneese.chad. That bike is better than fine. Get a reasonable aerobar setup, a fit, and a power meter and don’t look back.

1 Like

Thanks guys that redshift setup looks awesome.

1 Like

IMO unless you plan to try being an FOP contender in a 70.3 or above, or want to dabble in 140.6, I don’t think you need a tri bike.

May I suggest getting a cheaper single sided PM (looks like you run shimano, so you can get a crank power meter installed like from 4iiii, which is what I did) and save the rest for a tri bike upgrade if you want to go that route. Alternatively maybe you want to upgrade the trainer in the future, and 900 pounds or so can go a LONG way

1 Like