New S-works Venge

Not even Sarah True can make it look good!

2 Likes

When it goes to TT bikes looks donā€™t matter :).

OMG! Mono post! Disc brakes! What is that under the handlebars? Tons of storage! Crazy fork! Seat stays, MY GAWD!

This bike will make @Jonathan 's eyes bleed!!!

6 Likes

I am a massive specialized fan boy but this is killing me. Disc brakes = fine but the rest of it is horrible.

@Jonathan I agree. Itā€™s so unfortunate that I can no longer unsee this.

Wait until it comes in 20 watts faster than the next best bike, then it wonā€™t look so bad :wink:.

5 Likes

Glad pics donā€™t get taken down like on ST!

Should have got the S5. That thing is just jaw dropping.

Only thing Iā€™ve noticed while racing with the new Venge bars are the huge bruises iā€™m Copping just up from my wrists after going for an all out sprint. I donā€™t notice in the heat of the moment , but I must be hitting the bars in the sprint. Guess it was as worth it for win though :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Oh man I almost wish I didnā€™t find this threadā€¦:wink: Iā€™m super close to pulling the trigger on a 2019 Tarmac Expert but Iā€™ve heard so much on the TR podcast about the future of aero bikes and how the new Venge is a game changer and it has gotten me to thinkingā€¦ Those of you who currently have one how does feel on longer rides? Say 50-100 miles? Are you more/less fatigued ergonomically?

Iā€™d also be interested to hear ANYONEā€™S thoughts on why the Tarmac is more money. Per the Spesh website the Tarmac Expert disc is $4750 and the Venge Expert disc is $4500. 10r carbon on Tarmac and 11r carbon on Venge. Better Ultegra braking on Tarmac (8070) as opposed to Venge (8020)?? Wheels?

BTW - I am sure I am not alone in saying this but I absolutely love these forums. The layout and UI is top notch. Rapidly becoming my most frequented websiteā€¦

2 Likes

The 2019 Venge doesnā€™t come in Expert form yet. Cheapest model of the new frame is the Pro which is 8k.

My current dilemma is between the 2019 Tarmac Pro ($6700) and 2019 Venge Pro ($8000), so Iā€™m struggling with this as well.

1 Like

I didnā€™t even notice this! //facepalm Youā€™re absolutely correct.

In that case what way are you leaning right now? 8k is a lot of money after all. :flushed:

I thought the new Venge was going to be electronic shifting only. Are they even going to go below ā€˜Proā€™?

1 Like

Iā€™m currently leaning towards the Tarmac, because I also want to get the Tacx smart bike this winter as well, and that extra $1300+california tax goes about a third of the way towards that purchase.

@ErickVH correct I think its electronic shifting only which probably means only a Pro level. Maybe they will have a $6500 version that has the cheaper CL34 wheel set while keeping the Ultegra Di2 but I wouldnā€™t hold my breath.

2 Likes

Took the new Venge out yesterday and ran it through a few scenarios. I donā€™t have the matching handlebar yet (still backordered), so I have some Zipp Sprint SL bars on there that I blacked out with satin black vinyl. One should not tolerate unsightly white logos on this bike! :wink:

Hereā€™s how it compares:

Venge vs. SL6: I have very little time on the Tarmac, but it felt more lively than the Venge. The Tarmac has a snappier response to rider input when rolling in our out of cambered turns. The Venge feels less playful, but stiffer and more efficient. The Venge is the stiffest bike I have ridden in terms of power transfer. It redefines ā€œzero lossā€ when talking about power delivery.

Venge vs. Supersix: I rode the previous generation SuperSix and the Venge rides very differently IMO. The SuperSix felt extremely light and springy, and at times it felt a little unruly when dealing with bumps or cracks while under load in a turn. It also felt REALLY light and snappy though. The Venge doesnā€™t feel heavy, but it does feel much more stable. The Venge is more confidence inspiring.

I really see no reason to position the Tarmac ahead of the Venge, other than availability and price. It handles just like a top end ā€œnormalā€ road bike, but it is incredibly efficient when under load, very composed, and shockingly quiet when riding. I know that sounds weird, but this thing really does do a good job of not disrupting air, and you can hear the difference compared to a normal bike.

17 Likes

Thatā€™s a beauty @Jonathan

1 Like

@Jonathan nice bike, what size did you go for?

He got a 54.

2 Likes

Just left the Leviā€™s GranFondo. Iā€™m sticking to my plan. Lots of new S works. Lots of older S works. Plenty of Holland and Moots. I guess s-works et al seem to be focused on downhill bikes. Cause, not many of the bike owners were fast uphill nor the flats.

The upper end bike owners seem to be those attempting marginal gains with marginal fitness.

Not saying Jonathan or the Trainerroad crew fit in that category. However, the men in my age group (45+) appear to be attempting to buy their way into the fast group.

Iā€™ll keep my old bike, my Trainerroad account my money and still out ride the expensive bike owners. #trainerroad-software trumps all. #getoffmylawn

9 Likes

are those the 50s rather than the 64s?

(edit: they are the 50s since Iā€™m dumb and clicked on the pic to zoom)

1 Like

We just bought frames. Our final wheels will be Enve 5.6s.

1 Like

Nice, I love my ENVE 5.6 Disc wheels. If I rode in the mountains a bit more, would like to have a 3.4 front wheel for descending on windy days but I converted my original Bontrager box front wheel to tubeless for my plan B. Iā€™m sure others with better bike handling skills (Ebbetts Pass Descent to Silver Creek Campground | Strava Ride Segment in Markleeville, CA) can handle fast descents on mid-aero in a strong crosswind :wink:

I was at Mikes Bikes this weekend and got to stand over a Venge Pro in size 54, a little too small for me but wow it was absolutely gorgeous.

1 Like