New Video: The Road to Cyclocross Nationals

Hi everyone,

I want to introduce you to Justin Thomas, a former mountain bike national champion and Masters racer whose discipline and athletic potential is so impressive we asked if we could feature him. Last year, the 5.01 W/kg athlete changed his focus to cyclocross and in just one season he achieved a top 5 finish in one of the most competitive fields at the 2018 Cyclocross Nationals.

A top 5 finish was Justin’s goal. How he achieved it took months of training and a fortuitous five-week sabbatical from his career as a financial advisor. During his time off from work, he focused on racing. He wanted to earn enough points to get a good call-up position at Nationals, which he got.

Thirty-four days on the road and nearly 100 completed TrainerRoad workouts later, Justin achieved his goal and took his place on the podium at the 2018 Cyclocross Nationals. For a look into Justin’s world leading up to nationals last year, check out the video below.

The Road to Cyclocross Nationals

Q&A with Justin

Next Wednesday, October 24th, at 8:00 am PDT, Coach Chad, Coach Jonathan and Nate are sitting down with Justin for a special episode of the Ask a Cycling Coach podcast. They’re going to dive into his cycling career and his training leading up to last year’s CX Nationals.

If you have a question you’d like to ask Justin, leave it in the comments here.

12 Likes

I have known Justin for a few years. He’s an amazing athlete and an even better person! One thing that has always impressed me is his discipline and focus in regards to training. He has been competing at a high-level for a long time… collegiate runner, XTERRA, MTB, and now cross.

My question for him is how does he stay motivated to train and compete at such a high level?

1 Like