Off Season, Power Imbalances, Workout Fuel Timing and More – Ask a Cycling Coach 234

Vitargo is expensive, corn starch from the supermarket is almost the same!

I just use electrolytes in a drink and have nutrigrain bars or similar as a food source.

Bulkpowders are good, have a scan through supplement-dealz too though (often very cheap on random stuff

As a type 2 diabetic - I listened to the portion of the podcast dedicated to nutrition and enjoyed it very much. The aspect of what type of carbs, how long it takes to absorb, the role of hydration in digestion and processing are all key factors to living well with diabetes both on and off of the bike. Very well presented - good job team!

2 Likes

For Nate:
As a dermatologist, preventing saddle sores is going to serve you a whole lot better than dealing with them once they occur.
Klaron (sulfacetamide) could be helpful, but I might suggest using an anti bacterial cleanser like benzoyl peroxide in the shower, at regular intervals, may be helpful. Just be aware that BPO can bleach fabrics. Other options include chlorhexidine ( a surgical scrub) or even doing bleach baths which may be similar to swimming in a chlorinated pool. The concentration of plain Chlorine bleach ( not the low foaming type) would be about 1/2 cup in a normal tub.
Additional helpful options would be the use of pledgets or applications of topical clindamycin 1% twice each day. This is a prescription typically used for acne.
Using antibiotic ointments like Neosporin (triple antibiotic) are not recommended. Allergic dermatitis is not uncommon and not unexpected in the future with continued use.

3 Likes

BP’s malto-dextro mix is good enough for use on the turbo and it’s cheaper than vitargo.

3 Likes

For heating water quickly and easily for AM breakfasts (Cream of Wheat, oatmeal, etc), just travel with a small electric kettle. Gets water to a boil very quickly and is pretty easy to pack.

2 Likes

A 1/2 cup of 5% bleach in a 300L tub is going to be in the region of 20-30ppm chlorine solution.

I’m not dermatologist, but with a target level in a pool of 1-3ppm and a shock superchlorination treatment would be 50ppm, I think this advice might be on the dangerous side.

I certainly couldn’t handle 20-30ppm chlorine on the skin without some pretty bad irritation.

1 Like

Yes. That is correct. We do this all the time for children with eczema 2-3x each week. This will reduce skin colonization with staphylococcus aureus. A tub is typically about 151 liters, so 1/4-1/2 cup of bleach is correct. There may also be some reduction in itching with this approach. Just use tepid water and be sure to moisturize immediately. Also if this is done more frequently it may be a bit too drying, especially in colder climates when the furnace is on and the ambient humidity is low indoors.

For saddle sores I’d recommend Assos products which were a game changer in my case.
Pre ride chamois creme, and if damage is already done - afterRide gel:

So on the episode a few times Chad brought up you had to drink water with gels am I mistaken that you dont need to do that with certain gels? SIS and Maurten correct?

SIS have ‘hydrogels’ that don’t require water, their normal ones do.

To be honest I don’t know what difference it makes if you drink regularly (like every 15 minutes) anyway.

I thought all SIS gels are isotonic so you dont have to drink water. If so I have been doing it wrong lol

I think it says on the box what to do. Tbh I don’t usually have sis gels, but I know they have the hydrogels specifically to not need water.

I’m not convinced eating is that complicated. I think if its happy sitting in my stomach, my body will work out how to use it anyway…

2 Likes

So decided to look it up and here it is

1 Like

I chased a recurring saddle sore on my left side for the greater part of a season thinking it was chamois, saddle, post-ride hygiene. I believed it was a result of one of these because that’s what everyone says/thinks.

It was none of those. It was a bike fit issue. Coincidentally, a sore Achilles tendon had me researching bike fit which led me to moving my cleats back. I found this video: Saddle Height Tip - Get your seat height dialed to the millimeter - YouTube which advised lowering the seat if you move cleats back.

I dropped saddles on both of my bikes around 10-12mm. An unintended result of this was pressure-redistribution that postively affected my recurrent saddle sore. Unreal! I can ride chamoisless now and haven’t had a sore in a full season since doing this.

Before you throw money at trying to figure out what is wrong which your gear try assessing your saddle height.

1 Like

I couldn’t believe Chad with reading during sweet spot but was willing to try it. I tried before to read papers as PDF on screen but didn’t like it.

• Piano (Romantic Reading :wink: on Spotify)
  • E-reader with book, works well on TT bike
  • bike race

WOW! got some solid reading done during Tray Mountain! definitely going to try it again in the next weeks. if Ii can keep doing that this will be game changer as reading a book is 100% more valuable to me than watching movies or series

2 Likes

Chad, Nate, and Jonathan: Based on our data, almost everybody gets an FTP bump after SSB
Me, finishing SSBMVI for the first time with near-perfect compliance: *drops 4%*

Look I can’t help it if my genetic ceiling is just that low you guys. :laughing::sob:

(There were extenuating circumstances, I replaced the recovery week with a family vacation and was off the bike for that week, probably was dumb to jump directly into the ramp test when I got back.)

I might be wrong, but the FTP bump seems to come after SSB 2 not 1 :).

If you were able to complete SSBMV1 with your previous FTP I would stick to it and continue into SSBMV2. Perhaps take a day or two rest and re-test if you not sure about it.

FAIR POINT. Yes, I’m going to retest after the first week and see how it goes. (Unless Kaweah kills me, in which case I’ll just take the drop because my sense of self-worth and value as a human being is totally not tied to my FTP, really.)

Having the FTP dialed in correct with TR is for me more about making sure I am training at the right level and not so much a “measure of self worth”, you just want to be efficient with your training :slight_smile:

1 Like

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes