Over-Unders. Love 'em. Hate 'em

First time ever for me was part of SSBLV 1. My legs quit right at one hr. Felt like the end of a ramp test where you just cant turn the pedals. Standing, backpedaling, grinding them out got me through the workout, and has made me real nervous about the upcoming VO2 max work in SSB2 LV. They say the top end is the first to go in the “mature” athlete. Currently 64 years old.
https://www.trainerroad.com/career/tfield/rides/53071261-palisade

What is the training response of over unders of the 95/105% variety. I really enjoy intervals with 1 min at 95% fillowed by 2 min at 105%—definitely challenging.

Take Palisade -1 as an example.

Will FTP gains be had? Is there enough time above threshold to increase FTP? What is the primary objective of such a workout?

Over/unders are the bread and butter. They suck, but it’s the stuff that gets you on the podium.

1 Like

When I’m doing VO2 max workouts I love over unders and wish I was doing them instead.
When I’m doing over unders I remember how much I love Petit instead!

1 Like

I find the 12 minute OU workouts harder than the 9 minute ones.

I did palisade with only 1 backpedal, but mcadie had me dying at the end. I think most cyclists struggle with endurance. Maybe that’s why it takes so long to develop.

1 Like

The best part is that you can do a lot of work and not feel overworked

I was supposed to do this exact workout yesterday as well! I say supposed to because I tried to do it outside instead. I drove an hour to a hilly area of NY state and did well on the intervals during the climbs but wasn’t able to go low enough on power to properly recover in between :frowning: Had a great 2+hr ride though, with plenty of time in appropriate zones (I hope!)