Personal goals for this fall/ winter/ spring

I use a 20 minute yoga routine on YouTube. It’s called “yoga for cyclists” on the “yoga with Adrian” channel

3 Likes

Time for an update post!

It looked like many of you are in the same start/stop cycle of the base phases. So now at the completion of the last 6 weeks I figured it was time to check in.

So far doing a good job of controlling the things I can control and soaking up the TSS pretty well. Seeing as how this block is going, making sure you don’t get a big crater at the end of your season is a great way to get in some extra TSS for the year, and it doesn’t take 2 months to build back up to the level of the previous offseason. Using strava relative effort hrTSS has caused some inconsistencies in my weekly TSS which was recorded. Don’t want to count my chickens before they’ve hatched, but I should be able to exceed my power goal increase for next season.

How well have the early training blocks been going for you all?

General goals:

1. Get leaner. Currently going the wrong way.
  2. Improve ITT and depending on wind shoot for a 30:30 at the VOS ITT.
  3. Improve FTP/W/Kg always. PR was 4.5 so perhaps 4.7-ish (long shot).
  4. Get drug tested. Sound crazy but, it means I won something worth winning. :wink:
  5. Give back to the cycling scene.

Races I want to do:

1. Tulsa Tough.
  2. Master road nationals.
  3. Chino Grinder and other gravel events.

How:

1. Follow the plans and ride less “junk” to be able to follow the plans.
  2. Go on the “PTFD” (put the fork down) diet and limit red wine consumption eat leaner/cleaner.
  3. Positive attitude.

Good to see I’m not the only o e here planning for #lejog next year! Are you hoping to ride solo or with a group?

I was looking at doing it with RAB as the idea of having the logistics sorted for me definitely appeals.

I would also love to give it a go solo, it will probably all depend on how the next couple of months go.

1 Like

being from the other half of the world, here are my Summer/Autumn Goals

Summer
Process Goal - consistent 3 day a week training regime (ride more if possible but maintain a minimum 3 days)

Outcome Goals
20% improvement on FTP form 209 to 250
10% weight loss
Stick with local bunch to the end of the ride (they currently get “spirited” as they but it about 10k to go and i get dropped, goal to keep them in sight!)

Autumn
Race 100k MTB - no finish time goal, but to feel strong and ready through the entire race

My many and not so spesific goals:

Winter:

• Stay consistent with training this winter - follow the TR plans. Minimum 3 workouts a week
  • Do more running and strenght training/climbing
  • Become a better cross country skier so I can implement skiing in my training. Ski tracks are pretty much right outside my doorstep.
  • Ride more outside during the winter when conditions are good, especially on weekends.

Bike season:

• Explore more in my local area so that I can guide my friends and ride more close to my house.
  • Only compete in competitions I think will be fun. It sound logical, but it is easy to enter races you don`t really want to do just because you want to compete for the overall series title or because your friends are doing them.
  • Not let my trailbuilding passion get out of hands and effect my riding time/ fitness/time riding with friends.
  • Make awsome trails for our enduro race.
  • Do more group rides

Skill goals

• Become better at sprinting in technical terrain.
  • Learn to jump properly and regain my lost confidence on jumps - ride the rollercoast trail in hafjell.
  • have more skill sessions where I only work on one skill, and especially my cornering and jump skills.
  • Get/build a manual sender and start learning the manual.
1 Like

Two blocks down and one more base block to go. Last 6 weeks looked like this. Ended up getting sick, and family obligations made my compliance for my Saturday scheduled rides suffer a bit. Luckily I think that my FTP was still set a bit low for the steady state efforts and my HR responses are still significantly lower than previous years for the threshold sets. TSS for this block a bit lower than last block since now my runs are a lot easier, and done with pretty low HR average compared to in September, which was the goal so I can still do some long runs during build/specialty at a half-decent pace.

Even with the slightly off compliance and getting sick towards the end, I still upped my FTP setting. If it gets too hard, I’ll drop it down by 5 watts. Also for a change this block, I’ll be participating in a university study, so I’ll have 3 different sessions of 6x30 second full on sprint efforts separated by 4 minutes of recovery. Study lead also asked me to do 2 sessions on my own prior to start of study so I will get 5 sprint intensity training sessions this block. I’ll replacing the VO2 work with those, probably just doing the last 1 in Kaiser for week 5.

I just want to finish in the group in my first race in mid to late March!

A modest goal but, given that I’m recovering from cancer/chemo, I’d be happy with it!
-Hugh

(my blog: ex-prosays.blogspot.com)

3 Likes